Drum and Bass scene - England v. US

freeagent

Almost 30
VIP Junglist
Man, I need to move to England. I'm not getting my Drum and Bass fix over here!!!

I know there really is no comparision, but I just wanted to let you all know how fortunate you all are, and to vent a little, too.

:mad: :cry: :mad:

It seems like you all have at least one killa night a month in every locale over there. Over here in the middle US, we have a weekly up in Cincinnati, OH, called GravityBass (www.zeropointrecords.com) which brings in the likes of Hive, Dieselboy, Sage, and Klute among others (and the talented residents, too!), but other than that, we get nights like Breakneck, Swerve, etc. once a year, and usually the headliners either don't show or fly over here to get ripped off by some shady promoters. I had a residency at a local club and I played Drum and Bass and brought in mostly drum and bass dj's, but we couldn't sustain enough to even bring in a big, talented US dj like JuJu. Also, alot of the US dj's (I'm not going to name any names, just trust me) are terrible mixers, and have been playing the same old records in the same order for a year!!!

The US rave scene is dead, too, IMHO. We played Live on the Decks outside of Chicago this year, which was not a DnB event per se, but advertised Goldie (yeah, I've heard he can't mix 4 shite live, but still, it's Goldie!) and )EIB( as the headliners, along with the X-ecutioners, Charles Feelgood, Funk, etc. The event totally fell apart, Goldie was wise enough not to show, and BC flew over here just to be told they weren't getting paid! We managed to get paid becuase of a top notch promoter that we know who was vending the event and pulled some strings, but most of the big acts got screwed. Who can blame the Marcus Intalex's and Grooverider's for staying home, making a good wage, and not having to worry about getting ripped off! Jon B and J Magik came over a while back, but they played on a Thursday, the turnout was mediocre at best, and all the side rooms got shut down at like midnight due to some poor planning.

The next event being advertised over here has Fabio and Groovrider listed on the 27th of November. We can only see these guys once a year. You all in the U.K. are probably sick of them by now! I wonder, tho, if they'll even show up? I wonder, if I were them , if I would even show up?

Just had to get that out. As a true Head, I envy your scene. keep it up!

BOH!

Rave is dead. Its all about the Kirmes now.

As for the Grooverider & Fabio gig, its on a Thursday, I have school on Friday so you already know whos not going. :) I'm sure if Mark Mothersbaugh was doing a set he wouldn't have it on a Thrusday. :whipem:

Last edited:
It is all about the Poorly Translated Kirmes for those of us who left our Handworterbuchen in our Kaufer.

That would be a long-arse drive for you anyway, 1992. Also, I'm not sure how great its going to be, after watching a few of the more recent Rider sets on the Arena last night. I wonder if there will be 452 rewinds on this side of the pond. You know I won't be shouting for 'em, anyway! I'll let you know, we'll do a study in the sociology of rewinds.

Originally posted by freeagent
It is all about the Poorly Translated Kirmes for those of us who left our Handworterbuchen in our Kaufer.

That would be a long-arse drive for you anyway, 1992. Also, I'm not sure how great its going to be, after watching a few of the more recent Rider sets on the Arena last night. I wonder if there will be 452 rewinds on this side of the pond. You know I won't be shouting for 'em, anyway! I'll let you know, we'll do a study in the sociology of rewinds.

Yeah I need to learn German so I can be down with the Kirmes Kru. If you do make it out to the Grooverider thing let me know how it was. The last time Groove played in NYC it was pretty darn good I thought. He played lots of tunes with a 1992 vibe (Circut Breaker "Beat Bitch" and Digital "Scandal" stand out in my memory).

Also, alot of the US dj's (I'm not going to name any names, just trust me) are terrible mixers, and have been playing the same old records in the same order for a year!!!

Shoot - might as well bring a computer and record yourself at home at that rate.

Chuck:chainsaw:

I think so, too. But many of 'em are really solid, for instance Sage, JuJu, and UFO! were very clean with great selection and dynamics all times I have seen them. I'm definately not trying to discourage our scene over here, just a bit of constructive criticism.

Besides, I've heard that the T dot O scene is top notch! True?

Besides, I've heard that the T dot O scene is top notch! True?

I do know that we've got a decent scene going - but I don't know from first-hand experience since my definition of clubbing is watching "Flintstones" reruns.

Having said that, Freaky Flow (along with MC Flipside) and Vinyl Syndicate have been known to represent on a global scale.

Just you all wait, I'm a superstar in training.

Chuck, having delusions of grandeur again:chainsaw:

Originally posted by 1992
Your probably better off watching the flintstones, seriously! :lol:

The way I'm feeling right now, the only way I'll be better off is a lifetime supply of caffeine.

...And some money. :D

Chuck, making women wanna lose their virginity since 1979 while keeping his own:chainsaw:

Yes, it is, Zestie. It is certainly London's own jazz music. Hey, I can't stop listening to it, spinning it, buying it, reading about it, posting about it, etc.

Chuck, we just had the Scribble Jam MC's down here from Canada on Friday (not sure where from, they wouldn't say!) and they reprazented some serious hip-hop! Got some on video, too - capturing right now. If the drum and bass scene up there matches the hip-hop scene, I'm movin 4 shiz.

Chuck, we just had the Scribble Jam MC's down here from Canada on Friday (not sure where from, they wouldn't say!) and they reprazented some serious hip-hop! Got some on video, too - capturing right now. If the drum and bass scene up there matches the hip-hop scene, I'm movin 4 shiz.

I, for one, hope you have a car. If our transit fares go up any higher, I'm gonna be quoting Jimi Hendrix on a regular basis.

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky...

Chuck:chainsaw:

Yeah london's scene is good i went there last year, but i have to say the next place to be would have to be in south america b/c they are just learning about this shit so i will be down there when i get out of college.

Back
Top Bottom