THE WIP THREAD

Hi all,

I've just registered here to post my latest WIP. It sound really bad compared to tracks I´ve listened here. But it´s atm the best I can produce :\
So please give me some hints to boost up quality of the track.
Thanks in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/deter/hmc-temp

// sorry for my English

The arrangement is great! usually a noob will have a really bland arrangement with no element of anticipation. keep at it because arranging like that will win more than the sounds themselves.

with that being said, the synths are crap. thats just my opinion, but I'm biased i don't really feel the jumpy happy dnb. but either way, they need some serious love.
with all the new "unprocessed" sounding dnb synths making their way into the mainstream, you don't have to push that far with this style.

FIX 1. . . duplicate the track, bring one down an octave and saturate it, then eq the highs out and level to taste. sometimes ill even duplicate the track again and bring that one an octave higher, eq out the lows and spread it. once all three tracks are leveled to taste. group them and add some slight compression to glue them back together. not too much, just enough to show a little gain reduction. that will thicken them RIGHT up.

Fix 2. . . Duplicate the track, pan one left and one right, send each to its own side chain bus, drop and auto filter on both bus tracks with a notch, set different values on both to get movement. then adjust levels to taste.

Fix 3. . . Saturate, chorus, in that order. you would be amazed what a little saturation and space will do to a synth. just a little.

Thats just for the synth. there is a lot more you can do to get this sounding good, but that was the glaring flaw. also, do some chord progression research. get some scales down.

Arangement. . . .awesome.

The arrangement is great! usually a noob will have a really bland arrangement with no element of anticipation. keep at it because arranging like that will win more than the sounds themselves.

with that being said, the synths are crap. thats just my opinion, but I'm biased i don't really feel the jumpy happy dnb. but either way, they need some serious love.
with all the new "unprocessed" sounding dnb synths making their way into the mainstream, you don't have to push that far with this style.

FIX 1. . . duplicate the track, bring one down an octave and saturate it, then eq the highs out and level to taste. sometimes ill even duplicate the track again and bring that one an octave higher, eq out the lows and spread it. once all three tracks are leveled to taste. group them and add some slight compression to glue them back together. not too much, just enough to show a little gain reduction. that will thicken them RIGHT up.

Fix 2. . . Duplicate the track, pan one left and one right, send each to its own side chain bus, drop and auto filter on both bus tracks with a notch, set different values on both to get movement. then adjust levels to taste.

Fix 3. . . Saturate, chorus, in that order. you would be amazed what a little saturation and space will do to a synth. just a little.

Thats just for the synth. there is a lot more you can do to get this sounding good, but that was the glaring flaw. also, do some chord progression research. get some scales down.

Arangement. . . .awesome.

Hi DYSRUPT,

thanks for your reply and hints. You´re right, the synths sounds really bad and it was the element I had most problems with. I will try all of the suggested FIX steps. The only thing I´m afraid of is the side chaining and compression, cause I´m not much familiar with compressor, but I will try my best and see how it will sound.

And thanks for the compliment of the arangement .)

// sorry for my English

Hi,
I posted a tune a couple months back and since I took on some of your advice and edited it a bit.
It's now a lot cleaner, different beat step and the hats have been decreased in volume. Tell me what you think.
Tah!.

You got to give some feedback on the last tune posted, thats how this thread works.

Tune is alright though. Got a bit of a weird bit weird bounce to it, but thats my thought

Hi,
I posted a tune a couple months back and since I took on some of your advice and edited it a bit.

Dark and weird, but i like it! cool tune. Maybe throw a kick in at the very start of the track? in with the beginning of the intro? (at 0:00, then another at 0:24 ish ). Add a subtle noise buildup to help thicken it out before it drops perhaps? The only other thing i'm noticing is that the kick sounds a bit click-ish.... just a minor thing though, overall it sounds pretty tight to my ears.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my latest effort. Feelin' a bit stuck, maybe you guys can help me out? What do you think so far?

Dark and weird, but i like it! cool tune. Maybe throw a kick in at the very start of the track? in with the beginning of the intro? (at 0:00, then another at 0:24 ish ). Add a subtle noise buildup to help thicken it out before it drops perhaps? The only other thing i'm noticing is that the kick sounds a bit click-ish.... just a minor thing though, overall it sounds pretty tight to my ears.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my latest effort. Feelin' a bit stuck, maybe you guys can help me out? What do you think so far?

My thoughts are extend the intro and do a bit more. Maybe add a buildup to where the drums start. Extend the break some too.

I listened first in my cheapo earbuds and the bass was almost non-existent. Really nice in my production headphones though :) You might not care about the earbud crowd, but if you do maybe look at that aspect. Just generally a bit more high end and FX and you'd be there I think.

Thanks for the quick replies! Definitely going to revisit my Breaks bus EQ/individual breaks n see if i can make something pop! I'll post the (more) complete product here in a bit! Also, I extended the intro as suggested and found some neat riser tone i'm going to try and incorporate.

The break that enters in the intro at 25/26 seconds I find it quite unexpected. It could sound good with a high pass filter to get that sound as if you're stood outside a warehouse and it's going off inside. Automate the high end to come back gradually leading up to the drop. Rest of the track I like. Good energy, bass line flows and suits the track. Drums are nuts, I love them.

My turn. First time I've felt I've got something to share here. Only dipped my toes into production a few months ago. 26 years old, no music education whatsoever, crap speakers, a terrible room for acoustics, a full time job and a girlfriend who doesn't like dnb. It's not been easy. It's not a full track but rip it apart please. Struggling to get the compression/sidechaining on my bass and kicks to sound good and I really need a keyboard.

The break that enters in the intro at 25/26 seconds I find it quite unexpected. It could sound good with a high pass filter to get that sound as if you're stood outside a warehouse and it's going off inside. Automate the high end to come back gradually leading up to the drop. Rest of the track I like. Good energy, bass line flows and suits the track. Drums are nuts, I love them.

My turn. First time I've felt I've got something to share here. Only dipped my toes into production a few months ago. 26 years old, no music education whatsoever, crap speakers, a terrible room for acoustics, a full time job and a girlfriend who doesn't like dnb. It's not been easy. It's not a full track but rip it apart please. Struggling to get the compression/sidechaining on my bass and kicks to sound good and I really need a keyboard.

Yeah bud i hear your problem. Sounds like need a better kick sample tbh. and try and get the kicks level at least close to the snares. With the bass, i can hear the sidechains working, but it also needs some eqing too. A good new kick should make a big difference. Everything else is pretty tidy.

https://soundcloud.com/mania-music/i-fucking-love-keys-wip/s-h8UjV
This is a wip ive been putting a bit of time into, will expand on it later on when i have the right vibe. thoughts boys?

Yeah bud i hear your problem. Sounds like need a better kick sample tbh. and try and get the kicks level at least close to the snares. With the bass, i can hear the sidechains working, but it also needs some eqing too. A good new kick should make a big difference. Everything else is pretty tidy.

https://soundcloud.com/mania-music/i-fucking-love-keys-wip/s-h8UjV
This is a wip ive been putting a bit of time into, will expand on it later on when i have the right vibe. thoughts boys?

Soothing sounds there man, i like the background ambiences. I'm not really a fan of that snare sample though.
heres a wippage of mine, its a youtube vid i might do a tutorial on: http://youtu.be/yo-QxlmQK7E

Heres a wippage of mine, its a youtube vid i might do a tutorial on: http://youtu.be/yo-QxlmQK7E

Video's a bit low on audio quality, any chance of a SC upload?
From what I hear in the video though, it sounds like you need a bit more distinction between your buildup and your drop. Maybe slice up your breaks a bit n remove some elements so you've got more to reveal in your drop?
orr,
Instead of your 4th repeat in the intro, throw in a cymbal hit with a kick on the onbeat, cut your growls, leave that cool lead synth playing, volume in a snare roll up to the drop? Throw in some noise to hype it a tad too? Hopefully you get what i'm trying to say here.

Likin' the vibe of the tune though, finish this one up!

Here's my latest.

Nice job man, i like the drums, they are hittin'

- - - Updated - - -

https://soundcloud.com/aurora_official/scotland-a-new-dawn-org-mix-aurora-free-download

Something i've been working on for a while. I think im done now, what do you think?

I think your done too :D... it bounces around quit a bit.. reminds me somehow of a summer night..

and here is another snippit from me..

love the pitched bits every 2 bars from the drop, mix sounds solid too, maybe make those squelchy bits a bit more prominent and lose the 3 kicks before the drop, kinda kills the energy

first time i'm attempting something more reecey

https://soundcloud.com/markus-kocar/warstep/s-D03ch (in case the first link doesn't work, i don't know how far embedded and secret links work)

love the pitched bits every 2 bars from the drop, mix sounds solid too, maybe make those squelchy bits a bit more prominent and lose the 3 kicks before the drop, kinda kills the energy

first time i'm attempting something more reecey

https://soundcloud.com/markus-kocar/warstep/s-D03ch (in case the first link doesn't work, i don't know how far embedded and secret links work)

Nice stuff. Listening to on headphones but there could be some frequencies missing with that bass? It sounds like the highs are more dominant than the mids. But could be the headphones. Nice drums though!

Heres something of mine.

Back
Top Bottom