THE WIP THREAD

Thanks mate I appreciate the feedback.

I'm a bit of a fraud though because the bass is a mash up of samples.
Its a snippet out of a bass loop in either the new DLR sample pack or the District one.

Nice mellow vibes, I like it mate

Anyone got any ideas on where I can take this ?
I always make little clips like this but Iv never actually finished a tune in around 5 years of trying :shrug:

Im determined to finish something this year...

It sounds like you're going for an awesome roller here. The whole concept is pretty cool and mixdown is pretty solid as well, I would lower the volume on the snare a bit. Also since you have this sort of wobbly vibe on the whole thing, what you could do is emphasize the movement a bit more by for example adding a nice hat loop that speeds up as the bass comes out? I think it would sound pretty cool and would make a nice section. And it definitely needs FX shots and some pads and drones to give it some atmosphere.

something experimental: http://soundcloud.com/calddnb/chillone1/s-hQI87

Last edited:
snare could do with a little work, little too artificial for my taste, maybe bring out the springs a little, grit it up. the bass in the next 32 bars could be low passed and with a 1/4 lfo with the bass pitch descending. hope that makes sense.

thats yesterdays effort so far

Thanks for the feedback dude. Tried something a little different with this snare, just pitched one up an octave but still unsure about it, I might end up switching it. Sweet will do a bit of lfo routing next time I have some studio time and see what edits I can come up with :) Il repost once its done.

tune I made today, been meaning to get my head round ableton properly but bought the villem sample pack so thought i'd go mad and a bit random

used a drumbeat, pad and bassline off villems pack, then the rest was cut out off predator. then added a little sub bass. first proper full tune Ive made so feedback welcome! got a lot to learn..

Hey hey! The rules of posting here is to give feedback to at least one of the previously posted clips. After you've done that then you should post your own WIP.

But anyway, this sounds actually quite unfinished, to me at least! It kinda sounds like the elements you have are just slapped in and there isn't really anything that glues them sounds together. And there is also not much going on, which could give you the impression that these sounds work perfectly together (because there are no clashing frequencies). Also this doesn't really have any kind of theme, it doesn't invoke any emotion, there's a complete lack of a hook (something that keeps you listening). You might wanna look into getting some suitable leads and some pads and stuff, defffoooo.. Hope this helps!

Hey hey! The rules of posting here is to give feedback to at least one of the previously posted clips. After you've done that then you should post your own WIP.

But anyway, this sounds actually quite unfinished, to me at least! It kinda sounds like the elements you have are just slapped in and there isn't really anything that glues them sounds together. And there is also not much going on, which could give you the impression that these sounds work perfectly together (because there are no clashing frequencies). Also this doesn't really have any kind of theme, it doesn't invoke any emotion, there's a complete lack of a hook (something that keeps you listening). You might wanna look into getting some suitable leads and some pads and stuff, defffoooo.. Hope this helps!
oo

sorry dude didnt realise the rules, and surely a work in progress means its unfinished!

but yeah, basically the first time Ive had a bash at making a fullish tune on any kind of software, just thought I'd post it to get some feedback, thanks mate. still trying to figure out the basics of ableton to be fair, tune was a very random piss around n the arrangement is a bit all over the place! thanks for the constructive criticism though!
but
- - - Updated - - -

and @ billywhizz's tune! sounding rather large, liking the techy bassline whilst keeping it dirty and a wobbly. definitely worthy of finishing!

Couple of things, not dnb at all haha. Kenna remix I'm not sure about the main drop, Tranquility is just an ambient idea. Will return feedback after work.

Jungle Fever: nice minimal vibes, drums have a good groove. The first stab, (the one at 0:50) could be a bit more memorable, something to hang the tune on, if you get what I mean haha.

Billy: Sound pretty pro, I guess the only thing with using bass samples is that it also sounds a lot like a lot of other tunes.

Pride: Nice and smooth, the snare is quite understated. Everything works well together.

Last edited:

Couple of things, not dnb at all haha. Kenna remix I'm not sure about the main drop, Tranquility is just an ambient idea. Will return feedback after work.

Jungle Fever: nice minimal vibes, drums have a good groove. The first stab, (the one at 0:50) could be a bit more memorable, something to hang the tune on, if you get what I mean haha.

Billy: Sound pretty pro, I guess the only thing with using bass samples is that it also sounds a lot like a lot of other tunes.

Pride: Nice and smooth, the snare is quite understated. Everything works well together.

I just love the rhytm of the snares in the second one. nice atmosphere also.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice mellow vibes, I like it mate

Anyone got any ideas on where I can take this ?
I always make little clips like this but Iv never actually finished a tune in around 5 years of trying :shrug:

Im determined to finish something this year...

awesome wicked stuff :P I digg the bassline very much. sounds like stuff I would like to make.

- - - Updated - - -

drums are huge! reckon with a little bass sound processing this gonna be a banger

been working on this

instant freakin boner! youve got a new follower on soundcloud :devilslay

Hey, so its literally been years since ive even looked at a DAW... but ive got back into it, this is my efforts over the last 24 hours... constructive help please. i know the kick drum is way to high (although i do want the kick drum to be very prominent)

aaaaalllSO, this was mixed through a pair of shit shit shit headphones, ive got some yamaha hs80s sitting here but no cables yet haha so frustrating.

https://soundcloud.com/recure-1/feel-wip

- - - Updated - - -

no idea how to put the player in my post either?

Hey, so its literally been years since ive even looked at a DAW... but ive got back into it, this is my efforts over the last 24 hours... constructive help please. i know the kick drum is way to high (although i do want the kick drum to be very prominent)

aaaaalllSO, this was mixed through a pair of shit shit shit headphones, ive got some yamaha hs80s sitting here but no cables yet haha so frustrating.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the way it comes in, but feel the snares and the general beat are going to need alot more variation when it kicks in than what you've currently got down, keep on it though, like the feel!
To post a embedded soundcloud link (i haven't done it until this post so it might not work) I imagine you need to just wrap your link in soundcloud tags that can be automatically done in the editor (y)

So, WIP with alot of messy bits that need sorting out but mayswell post it up. First thing I've posted on here of my own and I'm really only just starting to get into the feel of been able to produce stuff that sounds sort of like I want it to, really struggling with basslines and things the most!

edit;

Felt like I mayswell stick this here to, it was the first thing I did where I was relatively confident that I was getting somewhere, there's many things that need fixing and it would need alot of work if I ever went back to it but it was nice to actually feel like I'd got somewhere! Not really any song writing though, very simple single noted stuff!

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget to comment on someone elses before posting buddy (y)

i like the remix you have done, got some deep housey vibes there too! i think the snare needs a bit of tweaking! the song flows well and youve managed to keep it interesting througout :)

- - - Updated - - -

I like the way it comes in, but feel the snares and the general beat are going to need alot more variation when it kicks in than what you've currently got down, keep on it though, like the feel!
To post a embedded soundcloud link (i haven't done it until this post so it might not work) I imagine you need to just wrap your link in soundcloud tags that can be automatically done in the editor (y)

So, WIP with alot of messy bits that need sorting out but mayswell post it up. First thing I've posted on here of my own and I'm really only just starting to get into the feel of been able to produce stuff that sounds sort of like I want it to, really struggling with basslines and things the most!

cheers for feedback mate.

the tune you posted has a cool hook and nice happy vibes to it! theres a couple of bits where youre breaks arent in time or the same tempo as your project so maybe look at stretching and slicing them a bit more. The melody is cool as :) also the bass needs a bit more character or a bit of refinement.

Post your 16/32 bar of the drop, make it the best you can (like your actual best effort) and everyone can post their thoughts.

I gotta stress though posting something you've done in like 15 minutes really isn't what this is about, it's about showcasing your best ideas to get some feedback which could really give people the encouragement to actually get it finished.

Please only post a new WIP after commenting on someone else's first :)

Here's something i've been working on to kick things off:

here some sound design i did with my mate would appreciate some feeback

https://soundcloud.com/yukon-deluded/digital-reality

drums are huge! reckon with a little bass sound processing this gonna be a banger

been working on this

This is awesome, I love the bassline and the drum production is really tight.

Here's a little something I started, but haven't really had any time to revisit just yet. I normally don't make an intro until I have the entire body of the song completed. That's why this is a just a simple drum pattern leading in. Any feedback is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom