THE WIP THREAD

Post your 16/32 bar of the drop, make it the best you can (like your actual best effort) and everyone can post their thoughts.

I gotta stress though posting something you've done in like 15 minutes really isn't what this is about, it's about showcasing your best ideas to get some feedback which could really give people the encouragement to actually get it finished.

Please only post a new WIP after commenting on someone else's first :)

Here's something i've been working on to kick things off:

sounds really nice
but a bit sparse
because the drums are so rolling the bass seems a bit robotic

but having said all that it sounds pretty damn sick i would like to hear the end product

- - - Updated - - -

both really nice tunes but the second has got to the best in my opinion
they are both full tracks though so dunno if the can really fit in this thread
but damn they are good
you have a new follower

sounds awesome misterApe, i look forward to hearing the finished piece.

Heres my bit, theres more to it than this but hey you wanted the drop lol

I prefer the drums to the bass, still its pretty good.

Heres mine, it didnt take 15 minutes. I know lots of people hate jump up, but its not cheesy.

Seems to be missing some 400 hz still, and maybe needing a bit more sub.

Heres my bit, theres more to it than this but hey you wanted the drop lol

The reese seems a bit too watery, and also you might want to expand the stereo image, seems a bit too narrow.

That reese seems a bit muddy try adding some highs and maybe some midrange.

My tune, currently 16 bars of 140.

https://soundcloud.com/sultanare/dark-stuff/s-0I7Py

Something I started yesterday, just 32 bars. I think I might be onto something :rasta: kinda dark and jungly

Nice! Have you considered a reece, following the bassline? I think the drums needs to be grittier to blend in with the bass, maybe with a tight snare, but overall a really cool tune.

Don't really have anything to add myself, though. Working on it, but still waiting for my speaker system so I can actually hear the lows and get proper mixes :)

guess this fits in here

i will listen through the tunes in here tommorow to give feedback etc

It is so pretty, and the bass is so warm. How do you get the bass warm, dirty and clean?
There is something about the snare I don't like. The wood hit seems off from the shuffle.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems to be missing some 400 hz still, and maybe needing a bit more sub.

The reese seems a bit too watery, and also you might want to expand the stereo image, seems a bit too narrow.

That reese seems a bit muddy try adding some highs and maybe some midrange.

My tune, currently 16 bars of 140.
Everything is too loud. Mixing at lower volumes can do wonders for the mix. Cool sounds.

- - - Updated - - -

drums are huge! reckon with a little bass sound processing this gonna be a banger

been working on this
I am digging the question answer effects with the hits and fxs. For me, I think the transitions are smooth but could use more.... I don't know. Maybe more of a tell. However, the song just rolls right along and I like that too.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello everybody
It has been a good six months since my last song and I need help. A shit load of help. All question, comments and suggestions welcome. Please help.:confused:

Overall a good track, but I'm not really the best person to give feedback as I'm so new to the genre. 1:55-2:10 was sick with the modulation on the reese bass. The drums sounded well built around the bassline.

Here's my first attempt at a DnB track, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm still working on the mixdown a bit, but the overall structure I think is pretty much set right now.

Here's my first attempt at a DnB track, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm still working on the mixdown a bit, but the overall structure I think is pretty much set right now.

Good thread!

firstly, the feedback;
great job for a first attempt! I do think your mixdown needs a bit of work, its sounding a bit flat, the drums arent punching through that bassline enough for my tastes either.
I think it could do with some subtle reverb on the drums to bring them together and some compression for power. That snare needs some love too.
There arent many (if any) cymbals in the track, a good crash is a nice way of breaking up chunks of the song.
Personally I think you should slap another hi-hat in there too, or maybe a shaker. Something double time to what you have at the moment to amp up the speed of the track.

and heres my bit in need of some crit:

still working out the intro, so the drop doesnt have the impact it needs yet.

I haven't had internet for over a week - will be up soon so i'll do some reviews then

A little something I have been working on but kinda stuck with this loop and don't really know where to take it without being too repetitive.

snare could do with a little work, little too artificial for my taste, maybe bring out the springs a little, grit it up. the bass in the next 32 bars could be low passed and with a 1/4 lfo with the bass pitch descending. hope that makes sense.

thats yesterdays effort so far

Last edited:
Mix down is tight, envious of that gully bass. All I can think of for the next 16 bars is maybe mute the bass for a beat or two on a drum hit, give it some push and pull. Some dark drone stabs/pads?

Back
Top Bottom