New drum and bass track.. still very much learning. feedback for feedback.

Thank you very much! That's funny you say that about the bass; I had been high passing quite a few elements because I didn't want it to get muddy, I have a good pair of reference monitors but their bass response is a little weak!

Also I've pretty much only been trying to make drum and bass, I just hadn't actually finished a track in quite a while. Thank you for your feedback!

I like the intro section the drums build very well and it all flows nicely. However I'm not too keen on the dominant mechanical barking sound. For me it takes up too much of the track and would like some more variation in there melodically.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

I like the intro section the drums build very well and it all flows nicely. However I'm not too keen on the dominant mechanical barking sound. For me it takes up too much of the track and would like some more variation in there melodically.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Yeah that's a fair point. thanks for the feedback!

My 2 cents (US cents so not worth very much):

Drums - kick and snare samples are very good.
Bass Sounds - good sounds but could use some variation. Maybe some filter cutoff or LFO rate variation here and there.
Synths - not much other lead or pads, but maybe you didn't intend to have much.
Samples - the voice sample is pretty cool.
Arrangement - looks like you have 32/64/32/64/32 bar format so that's pretty standard for mixing. Your last 16 bars of the 64 main part sounds a bit out of place though. The first 48 uses the same bass note arrangement, the last 16 disrupts that. You have drums throughout the intro and break, I'd take some out.

Conclusion: I think it just needs a bit more variation. That said, its way better than other stuff out there. Keep it goin' man!

thank you very much for this! i agree with everything you've suggested. i hadn't been able to finish a track in quite a while so i guess i'm a bit rusty when it comes to song composition. thanks again for the feedback!

Arrangement - Your last 16 bars of the 64 main part sounds a bit out of place though.
Interesting thing to point out; I don't think it's bad he's done this imho, could just be a thing of personal taste. To me they sound structured off a (pretty common) break snippet that's heard in quite a few tracks to transition into the next set. Thinking a bit more, it's a sort of mix-up common in older hiphop tracks (slower tempo of course; someone has to know the break's name), so I can see how it seems sorta awkward in this, but I find it a nice touch.

OP, it's a tight song. Like wastelander was saying the bass caught me off-guard, but it can do w/ the other suggestions too. The intro was my favorite part, personally; very dreamlike. Good effort here.

Interesting thing to point out; I don't think it's bad he's done this imho, could just be a thing of personal taste. To me they sound structured off a (pretty common) break snippet that's heard in quite a few tracks to transition into the next set. Thinking a bit more, it's a sort of mix-up common in older hiphop tracks (slower tempo of course; someone has to know the break's name), so I can see how it seems sorta awkward in this, but I find it a nice touch.

OP, it's a tight song. Like wastelander was saying the bass caught me off-guard, but it can do w/ the other suggestions too. The intro was my favorite part, personally; very dreamlike. Good effort here.

Thanks a lot! Will be working on all the suggestions here for my next track. Also yeah I wasn't sure what else to do for the 'outro' part so just went back to the space noises..

Some real sick sounds man! The drop is so f-cking aggy, please don't take me to the blood bank! I'd say structure wise you want the screaming bass that you introduced in the drop to cut out alot sooner to allow for other elements. The vocal samples are so beast haha.
Here ya go man, feel free to drill me for repetition ;)
https://soundcloud.com/cynicalhippy/falls

the main the thing is the overall mix. that will come naturally with practice though. same thing goes with your other tunes.. better mixing and mastering and you'll have some good stuff goin for you :D

Track is nice a filty bro, I love it
Total noob feedback here but imma try:
Drums just need some good ole fashion side-chaining it seems, get em to punch through all that low and mid-low end the wobbles are giving off
Probably need eq the drums a bit harder too, bring up some frequencies around 100hz for the kick and around 200 hz for the snare.
(Could also be the mastering, when you compressed it, some of the punchiness could've gotten lost... that's happened to me alot ;w; )
It gets a bit muddy around the low end too, the sub is pretty solid, but the frequencies just above it seems to be just mushing up a bit, maybe clean it up with some equing and restore some frequeinces that were cut (cause it feels like something was cut down there)
Anyway, sick track mate, wish i could do some sound design liek that!~

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom