Is stereo widening wasteful, since most club systems are mono?

I'm assuming you dont have any of the M-Class stuff, cause you could use this
m-stereo.jpg

If you dont, the using delays is a great easy way to go stereo.
Using extremely quick no-feedback delays phase the image to it's widest point, and the Wet/Dry controls how much of the effect you want

i have access to the m-class stuff, and i have no problem going stereo i just have a problem when i play it back in mono as the sound then looses a lot of its power and "bigness"

i have access to the m-class stuff, and i have no problem going stereo i just have a problem when i play it back in mono as the sound then looses a lot of its power and "bigness"
Ah, then you need something like this
Its a phase inverter with a correlation meter. If a sound looses its 'power and bigness' then you can use a correlation meter to check of it's out of phase, which is what causes a lot of wide sounds to loose db's when switched to mono.

If a sound is out of phase, then you can just invert the phase to fix it. If a sound is in phase, but still looses presence, its probably just because of the natural effect that widening has on how big a sound is percieved.

I think the Op needs to state he's using reason....As a lot of the answers wont apply to a reason user.

@Op, you need to post again and ask the same question but state your using reason, and maybe get some advice on the reason M-class stereo imager.

Reason 5 and below doesnt support vst's as we all know. So maybe youd have more luck with a reason specific question. Hope you get some goood advice matey

I think the Op needs to state he's using reason....As a lot of the answers wont apply to a reason user.

@Op, you need to post again and ask the same question but state your using reason, and maybe get some advice on the reason M-class stereo imager.

Reason 5 and below doesnt support vst's as we all know. So maybe youd have more luck with a reason specific question. Hope you get some goood advice matey

I forgot about this thread and I'm aware it's pretty old now. I am using Logic 9, not reason, and I know the various processes used to widen the stereo image. My real question was whether it's very easy to overdo it and what the negative effects it has on a track are when played in mono. I've got the answer I needed tbh, so thanks!

I used to be all about getting everything wide to make it sound big but now Im the complete opposite funnily enough. Keeping pretty much all stuff straight down the middle makes stuff thats very wide jump out and hit you in the face more.

I used to be all about getting everything wide to make it sound big but now Im the complete opposite funnily enough. Keeping pretty much all stuff straight down the middle makes stuff thats very wide jump out and hit you in the face more.

Ditto. I actually set my Duet 2 for "Sum to Mono" and leave it set. I usually end up forgetting I have it set that way and when I disable "Sum to Mono" I find that I've somehow created a lovely stereo mix that still sounds cohesive in mono.

Same here. I made tracks with absolutely no power at all. The only thing i send to the sides now are elements and incidentals that aren't meant to have power or punch. . . . . .Do i want my hats to have punch! probably not. they go to the sides and not even that far. high passed reverb, delays as they fade out move slowly to the sides. It makes such a big difference when i spread in moderation and with a purpose! lol

Same man. So much of my processing includes stuff that naturally makes stuff stereo, and when i want my basses to stay mono i have to keep chucking on utilities. So annoying lol.

Ditto. I actually set my Duet 2 for "Sum to Mono" and leave it set. I usually end up forgetting I have it set that way and when I disable "Sum to Mono" I find that I've somehow created a lovely stereo mix that still sounds cohesive in mono.

That's an interesting idea, might give that a go... But I probably won't forget and want my ears tickled with width so switch it off ha!

- - - Updated - - -

That's an interesting idea, might give that a go... But I probably won't forget and want my ears tickled with width so switch it off ha!

Try it once. There's a bit of a cathartic response once you disengage the sum to mono and drown in the magically balanced mix/stereo field you've created.

On a separate note: whoever recommended MStereoSpread, I owe you one. Absolutely killer plugin.

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

Try it once. There's a bit of a cathartic response once you disengage the sum to mono and drown in the magically balanced mix/stereo field you've created.

On a separate note: whoever recommended MStereoSpread, I owe you one. Absolutely killer plugin.
melda owns t, they make the best stuff for crazy cheap, like blue cat and voxengo

Brainworx Bx-solo

Use it to solo the mid and side. Anything on the side signal will disappear in mono. Make sure none of your main elements weaken or disappear when you solo the mid signal. Collect some .wav versions of professional tunes you like to use as references.

There are plenty of DNB tunes that have almost everything straight up the middle except for some small details and they sound huge. Noisia Stigma and Phace and Misanthrop Energie are two good examples of that. Mefjus/Inside Info Mythos is an example of a huge tune with a lot of stereo information but it still has the main elements right up the center of the mix. It's a good idea to check this kind of stuff all the time so you aren't surprised by it at the end of making a tune because at that point you will be pretty much fucked.

Generally, low frequency stuff should be mono or close to it. There is really no point in panning or widening anything in the two lowest octaves because are hearing doesn't really perceive it anyway.

This whole topic has a lot to do with cutting vinyl as well but I need to get some sleep. Peace.

Back
Top Bottom