Minimal Tech 170 [Vol. 2]

Vanden

-nieuwenhuysen
VIP Junglist
Finally got round to recording a new mix. This one's minimal, techy and there's also some autonomic in there:

Indigo - Absent
ASC & Synkro - Machine Love
Kid Drama - One 6 Eight
Indigo - Time
ASC & Synkro - Planet X
Synkro - The Way
Jon Convex - With You (Kid Drama)
Instra:mental - Fist (Level 2B)
Reza & Gremlinz - Bloom
Overlook - Clouds
Instra:mental - No Future
Dub Phizix - Yukon
Chimpo ft. Dub Phizix & Skeptical - Buzzin'
Loxy & Resound - Residual Movement
Loxy & Skeptical- Cylon Theme
Clarity - Sombre
J:Kenzo - One Drop
Synkro - Progression (Indigo Remix)
Thing - Reggae Musik
Homemade Weapons & Gremlinz & Collinjah - After Dark (J:Kenzo Remix)
Tokyo Prose - LPK Sound (Consequence Remix)
Jus Wan - Miles Away
Mindmapper & June Miller - Savannah

Looks very narse! :) I know you said you were waiting for After Dark to get released before you made another mix. Been 8 months since your last one! Got one heads mix to finish of listening to then I'll jump on this

Nice mix mate liked the last one so i thought I'd check this out. Smooth mixing nice vibes kept it varied as well which is always good as I have a short attention span. Not heard that Thing tune sounds dope.

What's the tune at 18m08? Has a wicked alien vocal sample.

Beat me to the Thing tune! Bastard. I'm going to make this my mix of the day for tomorrow. I play every tune in the mix. I'm curious to hear it.

Nice mix mate liked the last one so i thought I'd check this out. Smooth mixing nice vibes kept it varied as well which is always good as I have a short attention span. Not heard that Thing tune sounds dope.

What's the tune at 18m08? Has a wicked alien vocal sample.

18m08 is Instra:mental - Fist (Level 2B). Is on the Mosaic Vol. 2 compilation. Thanks for taking a listen man

Beat me to the Thing tune! Bastard. I'm going to make this my mix of the day for tomorrow. I play every tune in the mix. I'm curious to hear it.

Haha I found it first ;) Sound, let me know some thoughts if you have any

on this mate, you got an mp3 download? wav won't fit on my mp3 player :)

Does it download as a wav off soundcloud?? I thought they compressed it. I'll try convert it now.

Everyone else - sound, i appreciate its a busy time of year.

EDIT: can anyone recomend a free wav to 320 converter?

Last edited:
Real nice mix out of 168. You did a good job taking the tune out slowly and it complemented the melody of Time. Getting out of 168 without it sounding jarring isn't easy to do.

Bit of a quick mix into The Way. I'm not sure if you were running out of tune on Planet X. The Way is a tune I struggle with. I'm not really sure why. There's nothing weird about it.

The mix out of The Way was real nice. The growly, bassy lead of the Kid Drama tune sounded real nice with the vocal.

Would have liked the mix from With You to Fist to go until that warm pad on Fist comes in. I think that bass lead on With You would have set well with the vocal of Fist kind of mirroring the previous mix.

Bloom > Clouds has some nice phrasing. Really solid mix there. Probably my favorite so far.

The theme from Clouds > No Future is great. Both tunes are morbid. Was that intentional?

The percussion on No Future sounds better over Yukon than the kicks on the actual tune.

I might have left Yukon in after the drop of Buzzin. That's just preference though.

The percussion of One Drop and Prgoression sit well together. One thing I'm noticing is that you're fading the outgoing tune out slowly on a lot of your mixes, which can make them monotonous. Some variation to the mixing styles would be a good idea. The average listener isn't going to notice. I think it's just something you notice as a "dj."

The J Kenzo remix if After Dark is a hard tune to mix. The bass drops after 32 bars into the intro iirc. I've been doing straight bass drops on it. I do the same mix with the remix of Tunnel Track.

Overall, it's a great mix. Real solid mixing and tune selection. I play almost every tune in the mix. I'd just say you need to have more variation in some of the transitions. Lots of fade outs and not many straight drops. Thanks. I'll definitely listen again.

Real nice mix out of 168. You did a good job taking the tune out slowly and it complemented the melody of Time. Getting out of 168 without it sounding jarring isn't easy to do.

Bit of a quick mix into The Way. I'm not sure if you were running out of tune on Planet X. The Way is a tune I struggle with. I'm not really sure why. There's nothing weird about it.

The mix out of The Way was real nice. The growly, bassy lead of the Kid Drama tune sounded real nice with the vocal.

Would have liked the mix from With You to Fist to go until that warm pad on Fist comes in. I think that bass lead on With You would have set well with the vocal of Fist kind of mirroring the previous mix.

Bloom > Clouds has some nice phrasing. Really solid mix there. Probably my favorite so far.

The theme from Clouds > No Future is great. Both tunes are morbid. Was that intentional?

The percussion on No Future sounds better over Yukon than the kicks on the actual tune.

I might have left Yukon in after the drop of Buzzin. That's just preference though.

The percussion of One Drop and Prgoression sit well together. One thing I'm noticing is that you're fading the outgoing tune out slowly on a lot of your mixes, which can make them monotonous. Some variation to the mixing styles would be a good idea. The average listener isn't going to notice. I think it's just something you notice as a "dj."

The J Kenzo remix if After Dark is a hard tune to mix. The bass drops after 32 bars into the intro iirc. I've been doing straight bass drops on it. I do the same mix with the remix of Tunnel Track.

Overall, it's a great mix. Real solid mixing and tune selection. I play almost every tune in the mix. I'd just say you need to have more variation in some of the transitions. Lots of fade outs and not many straight drops. Thanks. I'll definitely listen again.

Cheers for the in depth review man!

Bloom > Clouds is personally my favourite as well. I remember doing that blend for the first time and had to rewind like 3 times and do it again cos it sounded so good haha. Yeah the morbid thing was intentional - was the transition to some darker tones. And the few amen-y percussion bits in clouds was bringing it up to the more percussion led no future. I was thinking of leaving the bass in on yukon for buzzin and for some reason decided not to while in the process - just a better bassline isnt it.

Mate i know exactly what you mean - i thought exactly the same when i listened back to it. But i suppose i was obsessing over making each blend inconspicuous and sound smooth. But yeah, normally i use different styles of blending but that sort of flopped with this mix. thanks for picking up on that.

Had forgotten about that Absent tune before you reminded me what it was. Synkro vibes in that! Pleasing seamless blend into Machine Love. Loved that transition + must mix that Machine Love tune more myself. The additional clunking beat of One 6 Eight suited the melodic Machine Love, before Mr Drama's solo outing began to get more menacing. Enjoyed hearing the swish step of Time coming in to One 6 Eight, liked hearing the way you used that tune too. Planet X really complimented Time. Would have liked to hear a little more of the mix with The Way - Planet X, as that blend was growing on me for the brief time they were both in. First mix I've heard With You in, and it works wonders where it is. Was interested to hear how you fit Bloom in there...... worked really well with the simplicity of Fist & even better with woops of Clouds. Very choice selection right there and my favourite blend so far :)

Wicked hearing No Future again, quite militant for something minimal, then doubled with the drone of Yukon was a quality touch. Residual Movement slightly overpowered the vocal of Buzzin when both were in, but thats a minor critique. Hadn't heard the female hollering on the intro of Cylon Theme for time & mainly mix that tune from the drop myself, then coupled with Sombre..... an exceptional blend which I wish I had found :) That Reggae Music tune sounded wicked, right before After Dark rmx & had to remind myself what that strummed melody was, when LPK Sound rmx was coming in, all sitting very well together in the last little section. Not heard that Consequence rmx in a mix before, and not heard that Miles Away tune before either. Liking that scraped beat in Miles Away, with the main bulk of the tune being very original and making for a quality penultimate tune. The additional little bleeps over the top of Jus Wan's breakdown makes my ears prick up at the sign of Savannah. Again, I don't think I have heard that in a mix & sounds very fresh.

Really strong mix Rob. Love this kind of dnb as you know. Tight mixing, the blends complimented each other right the way through the ride :) Just personal preference about mixing tunes by the same artist together / influences by the same artist.... Planet X - The Way, With You - Fist Level 2B, Yukon - Buzzin + Residual Movement - Cylon Theme. Plenty of other tunes out there, its just finding something that goes well with them. More often than not, you know they will go well as they have similar influences in them. Hope we don't have to wait another 8 months till your next one :teeth:

Would have liked to hear a little more of the mix with The Way - Planet X, as that blend was growing on me for the brief time they were both in.

I wanted to but i just couldnt seem to eq it right haha

Hope we don't have to wait another 8 months till your next one

haha yeah gonna try make this a more regular thing now that I've got my soundcard working again. Once a month or something.

Nice one man, thanks for taking the time to write this! Greatly appreciated

haha yeah gonna try make this a more regular thing now that I've got my soundcard working again. Once a month or something.

Nice one man, thanks for taking the time to write this! Greatly appreciated

No worries dude! Yeh, I look forward to hearing more mixes from you. The ones I have heard from you have been swish!

Back
Top Bottom