Traktor A6 or A10? Or should I be looking at Serato or CDJ's? Thoughts please.

Agent Smith

Currently Putins Koala
VIP Junglist
I've pretty much convinced myself I'm going to buy Traktor in the coming months with my MacBook ordered through work on some discount scheme which will be arriving soon.

A close mate of mine has the 2 deck version of Traktor and after a lot of messing about and getting accustomed to it I think that is the route I am going to go seeing as I have mixed vinyl for the last 6 odd years.

Just want to know any thoughts from people who have Traktor around the A10 version and any additional features besides having more than 3 decks? Is there any real difference to the 2 deck version? any additional features?

To conjure up a bit of a debate anyone who believes Serato or CDJ's is potentially a better choice please let your thoughts be known. I work with a chap who has CDJ 2000's and swears by them, but I can't justify parting with that sort of money.

Discuss/Thoughts please!

I've got Traktor A6, it's a nice bit of equipment to play around with but would never trust it playing out. I have had quite a few issues with it but that could have been my laptop so with a new laptop it should be decent. Also I would make sure that the laptop you are getting has a USB 2 port in it and not just USB 3 because Traktor only works on USB 2 (my one does anyway, was fucking around with it for ages before I figured this out,never even knew that USB's were any different) I'm personally thinking of investing in some pioneer 850 CDJ's and wish I got them over Traktor. My mate has had Traktor for ages though and never has had problems with it so that's just all from personal experience BUT with the USB 2 thing make sure becasue I thought it would not work on my laptop, nearly threw both traktor and laptop out the window before relising this haha

I have got the a10, I think the only difference really is you have to plug it into the mains power supply as well. I've only ever had one problem setting it up which was a crap phono cable on the deck so it was actually nothing to do with the box. One thing mind, use standard technics headshells as they have a better connection than concordes. Definitely worth it man, I have broadened my horizons a lot since buying traktor, I now mix 140 and house too. Only thing is it will never replace your love for vinyl. Vinyl is still number 1 in my books.

Only thing is it will never replace your love for vinyl. Vinyl is still number 1 in my books.

My sentiments exactly Dan.

I've got concordes at the moment - is the connection with the contacts really bad through traktor? Does it cut out intermittently? I've heard little bits about that before. I have some technics headshells so could get something else if its really an issue.

Interesting you both mentioned about setting it up for playing it out. I still think that CDJ's are the best in that situation. Minimum fuss.

Appreciate your thoughts lads (y)

ahh man sorry to hear that. i presonally don't recommend traktor at all, because of all the issues i had with it so i really started to hate it....hate it with all my heart haha :D...but i wish you the best on your digital journey ;)

I stand by serato firmly. Never liked Traktor at all.

Day i bought Serato SL4 is a day i will never regret. Highly recomended.

Anything you particularly rate about Serato Forau?
Feel? Build? Easy to setup in a club environment?

One of the reasons im leaning towards Traktor is because in my personal opinion I find playing Vinyl through Traktor sounded better (once the internal gains were tweaked) then if you set up a hotkey its one button and you can whack on some records.

ahh man sorry to hear that. i presonally don't recommend traktor at all, because of all the issues i had with it so i really started to hate it....hate it with all my heart haha :D...but i wish you the best on your digital journey ;)

Thanks mang...I'm still going to buy records but missed out on a lot of stuff that never gets pressed and like Dan said you can delve into other genre's which is appealing.

I can assure you Traktor/digital did not appeal to me a year ago! I owe a lot to my mate who has used it for a while and got me slightly more accustomed to it which is making me decide its the most comfortable route for a home setup.

Last edited:
The USB 3.0 issue has been fixed for over a year. Traktor is on a whole different level than SSL when it comes to possibilities. Native Instruments updates frequently as well. If you go with Traktor, you might want to look into getting an X1 to add to your DVS so you can control 4 decks and never have to touch the computer.

You might want to look into the Z2 instead. It comes with an audio interface and has all transport controls built in. You can switch from DVS to regular vinyl at the touch of a button.

Last edited:
I use Traktor and personally prefer it I think as above it is a more advanced piece of software compared to Serato which imo is more of a simplistic DVS that just works for straight vinyl emulation.

The USB 3.0 issue has been fixed for over a year. Traktor is on a whole different level than SSL when it comes to possibilities. Native Instruments updates frequently as well. If you go with Traktor, you might want to look into getting an X1 to add to your DVS so you can control 4 decks and never have to touch the computer.

You might want to look into the Z2 instead. It comes with an audio interface and has all transport controls built in. You can switch from DVS to regular vinyl at the touch of a button.

Thanks for your comments Afek.

I don't think i'll be forking out £650 for a controller anytime soon.
I'm not overly keen on controllers full stop. Once you have loaded up a track from the laptop you can cue the tune using the lines on the plate (so if you cue the plate from the first line it drops the tune around 32 bars from the intro and to me that's a fairly realistic way to go from vinyl to timecodes, considering I have learnt to cue the majority of my records in the past and now)

I use Traktor and personally prefer it I think as above it is a more advanced piece of software compared to Serato which imo is more of a simplistic DVS that just works for straight vinyl emulation.

Thanks for your thoughts. I pretty much agree with this but probably because I've used Traktor a lot compared to the few times I have had a go on Serato (and the guy using it didn't seem all that clued up)

What aload of cunts fixing the USB3 issue after I brought it :teeth:

Thanks for your comments Afek.

I don't think i'll be forking out £650 for a controller anytime soon.
I'm not overly keen on controllers full stop. Once you have loaded up a track from the laptop you can cue the tune using the lines on the plate (so if you cue the plate from the first line it drops the tune around 32 bars from the intro and to me that's a fairly realistic way to go from vinyl to timecodes, considering I have learnt to cue the majority of my records in the past and now)

Thanks for your thoughts. I pretty much agree with this but probably because I've used Traktor a lot compared to the few times I have had a go on Serato (and the guy using it didn't seem all that clued up)

The X1 would just complement the DVS so you can still control effects and not have to touch the computer. That's pretty much the reason Andy C uses one. The freedom is nice. The Z2 has controller elements, but it's a bad ass mixer. Be open minded. Once you start seeing the possibilities with Traktor, you're going to want to do more than just drop the needle and cue a>b mix for 64 bars.

Exactly why I got it. All I all wanted it for is to save me money on vinyl but have a closer feel as possible, i'm not one for fancy shit and I like to have to move the needle to find my a cue point not just fucking click on a waveform to find it! Don't even bother having the waveform showing it's no more than a distraction if you ask me.

Alot of my mate's use Traktor and I enjoy mixing on that just as much as Serato really. As long as I have 2 vinyls playing music I want, it's all good :)

I've got concordes at the moment - is the connection with the contacts really bad through traktor? Does it cut out intermittently? I've heard little bits about that before. I have some technics headshells so could get something else if its really an issue.

Interesting you both mentioned about setting it up for playing it out. I still think that CDJ's are the best in that situation. Minimum fuss.

Appreciate your thoughts lads (y)

If you take your cart off you'll notice that the connectors on the Concorde are rounded as opposed to the technics ones are longer and thinner therefore better connection. That's what the sound tech in hidden told me when I played there anyway cos I was having connection issues

Appreciate your thoughts lads(y)

Basically the connectors on concordes is shorter than the standard technic connector. So the contact surface isn't as good.
The tune doesn't cut out. It just spazzez out. It plays backwards. It has happened to me mid mix. I'm probably gunna buy a tractor eventually. I'm gunna try CDs next time I play out doee

Alot of my mate's use Traktor and I enjoy mixing on that just as much as Serato really. As long as I have 2 vinyls playing music I want, it's all good :)

Bang on Muz. Hence why I'm leaning towards the timecode route.
I do think its going to be ballache if I ever play a set out on it though.

If you take your cart off you'll notice that the connectors on the Concorde are rounded as opposed to the technics ones are longer and thinner therefore better connection. That's what the sound tech in hidden told me when I played there anyway cos I was having connection issues

Cool - thanks meight.

Basically the connectors on concordes is shorter than the standard technic connector. So the contact surface isn't as good.
The tune doesn't cut out. It just spazzez out. It plays backwards. It has happened to me mid mix. I'm probably gunna buy a tractor eventually. I'm gunna try CDs next time I play out doee

Yea I've tried CDJ's and think its quite easy to mix on them. To rock up to a club with 2 usb sticks would take a lot of the pain out of playing out too.

Much prefer seeing a record on a turntable though timecode or vinyl than playing CD's just personal preference.

I know the digital switch over is inevitable, and I will have to make the switch one day, but

:teeth:

Considering the wishlist I have currently (which will be reduced by the end of the week by an online splurge) and potentially going to a record store Saturday a lot of this thread is irrelevant until I actually get the Mac.

I know where my heart lies I am an vinyl guy through and through.

Don't kick me to the floor just yet :teeth:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Serato SL2. I tried Traktor first, but decided that the Serato hardware and software is far more reliable. I've never had an issue playing out on SL2 except for some knackered control vinyls, but now have a spare set knocking around at all times. I would suggest getting the 4 deck options of either DVS though, as now I would like to expand to 2 CDJ's alongside the two turntables and regret only having the two deck soundcard.

Bang on Muz. Hence why I'm leaning towards the timecode route.
I do think its going to be ballache if I ever play a set out on it though.

Cool - thanks meight.

Yea I've tried CDJ's and think its quite easy to mix on them. To rock up to a club with 2 usb sticks would take a lot of the pain out of playing out too.

Much prefer seeing a record on a turntable though timecode or vinyl than playing CD's just personal preference.

I'm taking vinyl as well. It's just that the booth at this place isn't very sturdy, so the needle jumps all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom