your all going to hate this thread.

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
Serato vs Traktor vs CDJ's...

I have been toying with the idea of going digital for too fucking long now. i have around 400 quid atm but finance is an option.

currently i have 2 x 1210's with no intention of selling them. and keeping all my vinyl collection too. just cant keep on buying so much vinyl due to money/space.. usual malarky! :mrpanic:

OK.. so what the fuck should i do as i have no idea and i cant make decisions in life. Serato have all different versions and shit that confuses me! CDJ's are well above budget (but could do the finance thing dependant on my credit score)

Traktor i have no idea about.

help pleeeease!! x

I had the same trouble couple of months ago, bought traktor, I've yet to find fault with it

I'm still having the same troubles.

CDJ is going to be the way I head, means you can mix on 3 decks...2 vinyl 1 CDJ, mix your vinyl with your new digital releases, problem solved.

I'm not convinced by Traktor myself. it would make mixing a hell of a lot easier, but I feel weird looking at waveforms on a lappy compared to grooves on a vinyl to work out what I'm doing.

currently i have 2 x 1210's with no intention of selling them. and keeping all my vinyl collection too.

I was in the the same boat. For simplicitys sake I'd say serato or traktor as ripping wax is an absolute ball ache

Serato have all different versions and shit that confuses me!

Main difference is the number of decks you can have on the go - SL2 is 2 decks, SL3 is 3 decks, SL4 is 4 decks. As far as I'm aware there is no difference in quality between SL3 and SL4, tho there might be between 2 and 3/4.

Traktor i have no idea about.

Me neither really, only used it a couple of times. Essentially the same product as serato, but I have a serato bias as that's what I own.

PS. I hate this thread.

I was in the the same boat. For simplicitys sake I'd say serato or traktor as ripping wax is an absolute ball ache

Main difference is the number of decks you can have on the go - SL2 is 2 decks, SL3 is 3 decks, SL4 is 4 decks. As far as I'm aware there is no difference in quality between SL3 and SL4, tho there might be between 2 and 3/4.

Me neither really, only used it a couple of times. Essentially the same product as serato, but I have a serato bias as that's what I own.

PS. I hate this thread.

thanks dude, u happy with serato? u play out?

PS. I hate you tone.

harsh man. but i hate him too.

but realiously tone....
depends on your prefrence. for me tho this is how i decided...
i hate cd's as a format, they get scratched and you have to burn them and label them and store them and cdj's (good ones) are expensive... so thats out the window.

so that left me serato vs tractor.
at frist i thought serato simply because tractor sounds like some farm machinery.
but then i went and tested them both. for me tractor felt a bit fisher price in comparisson to serato with lots of un required effects. it had just a bit more of a windows feel about it if that makes sense. serato felt more quality in my eyes.

so i'd decided upon serato but which one? they all seem to do the same thing but at differnt prices.
i only needed 2 decks, i ended up getting an SL1 off ebay for just under £200. its perfect, does everything i need and i love it. i can play mp3's but with that vinyl feel.
however I'm going to get the SL2 or 3 when I can for the better sound quality and so it doesn't have to be plugged into my laptop if I just want to play a vinyl.

the only thing i dont like about DVS' is the whiiiiiirrrrl noise u can hear from the cartridge. its annoying.

but realiously tone....
i hate cd's as a format, they get scratched and you have to burn them and label them and store them and cdj's (good ones) are expensive... so thats out the window.

at frist i thought serato simply because tractor sounds like some farm machinery.
but then i went and tested them both. for me tractor felt a bit fisher price in comparisson to serato with lots of un required effects. it had just a bit more of a windows feel about it if that makes sense. serato felt more quality in my eyes.

so i'd decided upon serato but which one? they all seem to do the same thing but at differnt prices.
i only needed 2 decks, i ended up getting an SL1 off ebay for just under £200. its perfect, does everything i need and i love it. i can play mp3's but with that vinyl feel.
however I'm going to get the SL2 or 3 when I can for the better sound quality and so it doesn't have to be plugged into my laptop if I just want to play a vinyl.

the only thing i dont like about DVS' is the whiiiiiirrrrl noise u can hear from the cartridge. its annoying.

if you were to play out would u use your serato AJ? is it piss easy to mix on or is it shite!?

but realiously tone....

cool story bro..... seriously it was. very useful insight, the vinyl-user's lament so to speak

thanks dude, u happy with serato? u play out?

Yeah man, like the versatility it gives you. I just bought a small midi controller too, which is fun to dick around with, and you don't have that option on wax. The reason I went for serato over tractor was like teddy said - traktor just felt a bit fisher price, and I think serato looks pretty slick. I don't play out so I can't bring anything to the table there

Traktor is much more powerful than Serato (in terms of things you can do with it), but Serato is simpler and I guess makes an easier transition from actual vinyl. Personally I learnt simultaneously on both normal vinyl and traktor vinyl (bought someone elses collection of about 100 vinyl, and also got traktor for myself cus my music collection was all digital). I use vinyl when I want to just have a piss about for fun, or if I'm playing out or recording a mix I'll use Traktor. If you wanna mix your vinyl collection together with your digital collection that's easy as well because you can simply click one button to turn a deck being controlled by timecoded traktor into one that will play normal vinyls (no need to change cables or channels or anything). And if you don't wanna use the sync button at all then that's fine, you can easily turn it off and just use the normal pitch slider on the 1210 and do everything yourself.

In terms of Serato vs Traktor, Traktor is more complicated but once you learn to really use it well the mixes you can do with are just insane. For example when I'm mixing and I want to double drop 2 tunes but the 2nd drop of the one already playing is weird then it's incredibly easy to loop back or skip to a different place in the track so that you can get the 2 exact bits you want to mix no matter at what point in either track you currently are. I guess a reason a lot of people choose Serato is because coming from vinyl they don't "need" all of Traktor's extra effects. Of course you don't "need" them but if you can utilize them effectively then it can only make your set better.

Also I recommend the Novation Dicers, it's pretty damn cheap for a pair and they slot into the corner of 1210's nicely and you can use them for looping/cuepoints/beatjumping or whatever you want: http://www.amazon.com/Novation-Dicer-Point-Looping-Control/dp/B003SNXH1A

its all sounds insanely missions to me! i just wana be able to plug in and go! do both work on mac books?

Traktor / Serato doesnt matter which one.

I've got Traktor but use CDJ's when i'm out, doing it this way is literally perfect.

I use serato so i'll recommend that, simple and efficient and just bang it onto thru mode and you can play your records with no hassle (although im sure Traktor has a similair function)

its all sounds insanely missions to me! i just wana be able to plug in and go! do both work on mac books?

Right now you want to be able to just plug in and go, but later you might want to take advantage of all the extra features :p. Both work on mac books, and both are easy to set up (i.e. you can just plug in and go).

I use serato so i'll recommend that, simple and efficient and just bang it onto thru mode and you can play your records with no hassle (although im sure Traktor has a similair function)

Yes but from my personal experience with Traktor the "live input" which you play your vinyl through is always quieter, so you end up having to fiddle with the internal gains on Traktor to stop massive drop off's in volume if you attempt to mix between Vinyl & Traktor...just my 2 cents, its pissed me off no end and I dont even have Traktor!!

Yes but from my personal experience with Traktor the "live input" which you play your vinyl through is always quieter, so you end up having to fiddle with the internal gains on Traktor to stop massive drop off's in volume if you attempt to mix between Vinyl & Traktor...just my 2 cents, its pissed me off no end and I dont even have Traktor!!

If your master gain in Traktor is set right it should be fine, I've never had this problem

I did exactly the same thing. Bagged serato and havent looked back. Now i only spend my hard earned cash on wax that i HAVE to own on vinyl. Saving me so much money considering my vinyl addiction of recent years.

I financed Serato SL4 and a xone92 and its worked out great.

Take a look at finance options for serato SL3. I garuntee you'll be impressed.

In my opinion serato is for the vinyl purist. Its got very few bells and whistles, and is as close to playing vinyl without playing vinyl as you can get if you know what i mean.

Traktor for me has always seemed to bloated and gimmicky. But thats just me.

Back
Top Bottom