your all going to hate this thread.

if you want push start n go kind of system then vinyl and/or cd-s. if you want laptops and more cables and waiting 10 minutes to boot up before you can mix then serato or traktor. traktor is more fun tho ...in terms of constant configuration and frustration.

Go and test out both and see which you prefer mate. I used serato but my mates have traktor and ill have a mix round theirs and there's no real difference to be fair. I just prefer serato because I'm used to it. If I had the cash I'd buy some cdjs though.

I've been in the same dilemna myself- Ive tried to get to grips with CDJ's but I really cannot get my head round them, and as I already know how to mix vinyl I'd rather treat an upgrade to Serato or Traktor as a progression, wheras I'd feel with CDJ's itd be back to square. Did I mention I'm incredibly stubborn to change?

Though as mentioned by a few people in this thread, I really havent got a clue about the major differences between serato and traktor- I was always under the impression cost a heck of a lot more, for reasons I dont know lol.

Before anything I need a new laptop though, dont think a three year old notebook would be able to hack running either software to be honest...

I'm still not keen on Traktor. I feel like I can't get into a vibe when I use it.
I hate staring at a screen as well. I prefer to look at the grooves. Also doing B2B's with people who use Traktor is pretty shit but they all want to plug their laptops in which means that the music has to stop for a few minutes which is gheyd

fwiw if it takes you more than 30 seconds to get traktor/serato connected then you're a retard

Last edited:
Thread was far to serious even for general section.

Here's what you want

3hwmyx2x7xdo1lnfg.jpg

If i ever win the lottery.

Very fisher pricey. I'd expect that to take me to the moon.

I went down the same track. Mixed vinyl, wanted to start mixing digital etc. Looked into both and got the same verdict, Serato is simple and effective. Bought SL2, used it for a year. No complaints, solid build, easy through for vinyl. Made it a really nice transition into mixing digital.

But then I start mixing a couple of other tempos, played on a friends Traktor and realised the limitations of Serato. I sold the SL2 and bought the A10 for the same money. When I bought Serato the A10 wasn't out. If it was I probably would have gone straight to Traktor.

You can run 4 decks/cdjs in the A10, have two laptops running at the same time even one with Serato with the right settings, the levelling is a lot easier you wont have to manually move the the tiny virtual dial so many times, you can run 4 virtual decks on top of how ever many real decks your running, very easy to start throwing samples and remix effects into a mix, there's effects, a lot of effects. Its true Serato doesn't have all the bells and whistles to worry about. But if you just want to start with straight 2 deck mixing, Traktor does that just as well if not better. But if you're making the transition to digital, why limit yourelf.

I went down the same track. Mixed vinyl, wanted to start mixing digital etc. Looked into both and got the same verdict, Serato is simple and effective. Bought SL2, used it for a year. No complaints, solid build, easy through for vinyl. Made it a really nice transition into mixing digital.

But then I start mixing a couple of other tempos, played on a friends Traktor and realised the limitations of Serato. I sold the SL2 and bought the A10 for the same money. When I bought Serato the A10 wasn't out. If it was I probably would have gone straight to Traktor.

You can run 4 decks/cdjs in the A10, have two laptops running at the same time even one with Serato with the right settings, the levelling is a lot easier you wont have to manually move the the tiny virtual dial so many times, you can run 4 virtual decks on top of how ever many real decks your running, very easy to start throwing samples and remix effects into a mix, there's effects, a lot of effects. Its true Serato doesn't have all the bells and whistles to worry about. But if you just want to start with straight 2 deck mixing, Traktor does that just as well if not better. But if you're making the transition to digital, why limit yourelf.

interesting point man, im thinking CDJ's might be a good option as ease of playing out. i like the idea of just getting straight into it without pissing around. but i guess alot of places are set up for serato/traktor these days anyway

my 5 cents would be cdjs - i would never ever ever have enough money for all the wax, nor can you even find turntables in dubai :(
secondly - i fucking hate serato through time codes on the cdjs like what the actually fuck... takes like 20 secs just to get it cued to the beginning of a tune... yeah fair enough you can customize cue points and blah blah blah but like auto cue on cds and boom go like a champ...

3rdly cds are a ball ache.. i may be making the move other to rekordbox on usb on the cdjs... but i still love cds haha

interesting point man, im thinking CDJ's might be a good option as ease of playing out. i like the idea of just getting straight into it without pissing around. but i guess alot of places are set up for serato/traktor these days anyway

You're not wrong there. And you'd be surprised. I think you'd be lucky to find Serato or Traktor set up in Fabric let alone at the Crawley free parties. Like you say CDJs are everywhere. Although every time I've seen S.P.Y play I see him ripping out cables, shoving in a stand and setting up Serato and I've done it myself a few times. Its really not hard. On the other hand CDJs are ready to go and you wont have to worry about turntables that haven't been cared for. As I start to play out more I'll probably get CDJs. It makes practical sense but for bedroom mixing it has to be Traktor.

Last edited:
And I know people seem to have an issue with midi controllers but turning up with my s4 at a club is as easy as turning up with a crate of records. 1 set of leads into a spare channel and I'm done! MacBook boots up in no time as well as I partitioned a section of my hard drive purely for traktor.

I faced this issue around 2 years ago. I always said that if I was to stop buying vinyl I’d stopping DJing, well…. that changed. A couple of my friends were using Serato at the time so started to have a play and realised it isn't too bad. Other than the sound there isn't too much difference to playing on vinyl. I sometimes miss buying records but overall enjoy using Serato now.

One thing I will note if you play in clubs a lot then it maybe worth going down the CDJ / midi controller route due to poor 1210’s. It’s rare I play in clubs these days where the decks don’t have an issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom