DnB/downtempo Mix. Give it a try! --x2 technics/ x1 reloop cdj-- JHSE23

JHSE23

the yen
VIP Junglist
Hey all,

Finally got round to actually recording this. Tracklist is a bit of an odd one, but the vibe sticks throughout. The reason I did this was to really show how versatile dnb was. It's easy to pull the same style mixes and selection cause dnb is often very isolated. and I thought why not switch it up with some downtempo/trip hop kinda stuff. It aint the easiest to mix so forgive a few slips and shit eq-ing at points. Would really like to know what you lot think so hola at your boy.

x2 Technics 1210 and one Reloop CDJ

Unforscene -- Belly Full Of Lead -- Tru Thoughts LTD
Calibre -- Thirst Dub -- Signature
Llorca -- The End (Silky Megasoft Dub) -- F Communications
Hobzee, Zyon Base, Brother -- Night On Earth -- Focuz
Emery, Semi Sense, Fats, Umiko -- Starchaser -- Ambra Recordings
DLR -- Cohiba -- BLKND
Fragile State -- Hoop Dreams -- Hide Inside Records
Cutworks -- What I Remember -- Focuz
Stan and Mook -- Legal -- Soul:R
Soultec, mSdoS -- Herbies Groove -- H.A.B Recordings
Spectrasoul -- Away With Me (Calibre Remix) -- Shogun Audio
Thievery Corporation -- Fragments -- ESL Music
Roy Green, Protone -- 2 Hours -- Alignment Downtime Recs
Phil Tangent -- Restitution -- Soul:R
Commix -- Japanese Electronics -- Metalheadz
mSdoS -- Backwards (Peyo remix) -- Liquid Drops
Phat Playaz, Duo Science -- North Zone of SP -- Focuz
Tommy Largo -- It's the Beat -- MRI

The soundcloud download link is wav, dnbshare is mp3 so far smaller
DNBshare -- http://dnbshare.com/download/DowntempoDrumsMP3.mp3.html

Last edited:
yes mate just finished listening. such a good listen on this fine sunday, admire your ability to go into something completely different yet still relevant and come out the other side with a quality mix. i've tried to do similar mixes that just haven't worked due to tempo differences etc so much respect as it flowed really well. night on earth and starchaser are beauts! wow. always prefer the more left-field stuff so i encourage you to keep doing ones like these! doesn't matter that there was the odd pitch adjustment here and there, as someone said in here before it's nice to hear the effort rather than something that sounds too 'plastic' if you know what i mean, really doesn't effect the listening experience. big ups!

Tracklist looks sick on this mate!

Nice one jackal! You putting up another drums mix soon? Enough of this house ishhh.

yes mate just finished listening. such a good listen on this fine sunday, admire your ability to go into something completely different yet still relevant and come out the other side with a quality mix. i've tried to do similar mixes that just haven't worked due to tempo differences etc so much respect as it flowed really well. night on earth and starchaser are beauts! wow. always prefer the more left-field stuff so i encourage you to keep doing ones like these! doesn't matter that there was the odd pitch adjustment here and there, as someone said in here before it's nice to hear the effort rather than something that sounds too 'plastic' if you know what i mean, really doesn't effect the listening experience. big ups!

Legend! Cool for listening mate. You got exactly what I was trying to do. Ye I think this is the kind of style ive evolved into in a lot of ways so will likely do more. I remember you pulling some different tempos in one of your midnight maneuver mixes which was sounding sweeet. Starchaser is such a ridiculously good track, surprise its not more rated really. Let me know when youre next installment is out! Safe again.

:slayer:

This looks ridiculously good mang. on this!

Coooool Agent S, let me know what you think!

And big up bn14! Thanks for the words man

Have repped where possible

Nice one jackal! You putting up another drums mix soon? Enough of this house ishhh.

Ha yeah mate gonna do promo mix in time for the halogenix night in gford, may as well try hand it out there.

Finally got around to listening to this properly today and loved it! Easily one of the most original mixes i've ever come across on this forum. Great flow and track selection throughout, loads of tunes ive never heard before. Reaaally like that fragments tune after away with me, so chilled. More like this!

Finally got around to listening to this properly today and loved it! Easily one of the most original mixes i've ever come across on this forum. Great flow and track selection throughout, loads of tunes ive never heard before. Reaaally like that fragments tune after away with me, so chilled. More like this!

Thanks jack man means a lot coming from you! That fragments mix was well annoying, its drums are kind of shattered if that makes sense so always sounds like its out! All very confusing. Great track maybe should have used a different one for ease though. We still need to hook up and get on tha tinggg. Will be easier once this year is out in fairness. Get another one up man need benny j j in my life.

Last edited:
gona listen to this tomorrow in the library, looks pretty sick - nice to see something different too

Thanks jack man means a lot coming from you! That fragments mix was well annoying, its drums are kind of shattered if that makes sense so always sounds like its out! All very confusing. Great track maybe should have used a different one for ease though. We still need to hook up and get on tha tinggg. Will be easier once this year is out in fairness. Get another one up man need benny j j in my life.

Cheers mate! Yeah get what you mean on that fragments mix, scatty drums can be a bitch to mix. We do def need to link up asap get some tunes rolling! Once my latest installments up il wing it your way

JHSE23's time for some feedback.
Got to admit that the title didn't grab me with the 'downtempo' or most of the tracklist, but I will 'give it a try' as you mentioned + you did listen & feedback my latest B&B 3 mix.

From the initial metallic beat, I liked Belly Full Of Lead with its quirky vocals building. Not heard this before, it is a bit like funk & bass with its melodic notes in the intro. Bit like Mr Scruff's music, which I rooted through his back catalogue the other day. Thirst Dub stepped in effortlessly for a seamless blend that sat well together. Loving the minimal beats & notes in Thirst Dub & had heard that before, but didn't know it was called that, so thanks for the ID! :) Jazz sax notes of The End keep the funk & bass flavours of the mix alive, with what Belly Full Of Lead first brought to the ride, some half time beats & effective shakers in there. Loved the way Night On Earth ramped up the tempo, bringing a 'full time' beat to the previous tune in the mix, for some piano hooks to do their work in the forth tune. Starchaser flowed well into Night On Earth keeping that similar flavour going with Fats' unmistakable vocal in there. Had forgot DLR even made a tune called Cohiba, but it was pleasant to be reminded of it, with its more laid back feel when compared to his colabs with Octane. Still liked to simplistic bass wob every bar in that & minimal tribal beats every so often. Hoop Dreams is some more newness to my ears & thats easy listening riffs & melodies eased in to Cohiba well, even twisting up its initial half time beats into a more rolling affair. What I Remember brings back more piano vibes, for some subtle 'Oo' vocals to start from the breakdown (I take it thats Legal coming in, if so the blend worked really well).

Herbies Groove rolled well into Legal, if a bit strong, keeping the vibes from the past small handful of tunes going. Away With Me rmx worked well where it is in the mix. I enjoyed the way Fragments brought the pace down a notch, but still kept the energy flowing. 2 Hours arrives in the mix & instantly brings the pace up again with some melodic rolling beats & flowing piano hooks. Not heard Restitution, which kept the summery notes going from 2 Hours before. Not fond of the pacey hectic drum patterns in that myself, but I anticipate the well thought out melody of Restitution to sit well with Japanese Electronics & it did just that. Backwards rmx starts to shuffle into the mix in just the right manor, keeping the essence of Japanese Electronics alive for the blend. Love the minimal bits in Backwards rmx, making that a wicked first listen. Melodic notes of North Zone of SP build for some slightly more flowing drum patterns to sit well with Backwards rmx. It's A Beat chopped up the penultimate tune a treat. Wicked half time jazz notes & piano beats to end on, with an effective vocal being just right on the top of those minimal beats.

I did enjoy it, even though I was a bit skeptical at first. Not usually into the whole liquid dnb / jazz dnb vibe, but I do like the half time / down tempo stuff providing it can mix with dnb. A real eye opener to some of those 'funk' tunes + I liked the way you mixed the half time bits with the more rolling tunes. A wicked concept man!

Also, fair play on using Technics in your mix. What modal 1210's do you have?

Last edited:
Def looks like the vibe I'm on after my most recent mix. Gonna give this a swing.

JHSE23's time for some feedback.
Got to admit that the title didn't grab me with the 'downtempo' or most of the tracklist, but I will 'give it a try' as you mentioned + you did listen & feedback my latest B&B 3 mix.

From the initial metallic beat, I liked Belly Full Of Lead with its quirky vocals building. Not heard this before, it is a bit like funk & bass with its melodic notes in the intro. Bit like Mr Scruff's music, which I rooted through his back catalogue the other day. Thirst Dub stepped in effortlessly for a seamless blend that sat well together. Loving the minimal beats & notes in Thirst Dub & had heard that before, but didn't know it was called that, so thanks for the ID! :) Jazz sax notes of The End keep the funk & bass flavours of the mix alive, with what Belly Full Of Lead first brought to the ride, some half time beats & effective shakers in there. Loved the way Night On Earth ramped up the tempo, bringing a 'full time' beat to the previous tune in the mix, for some piano hooks to do their work in the forth tune. Starchaser flowed well into Night On Earth keeping that similar flavour going with Fats' unmistakable vocal in there. Had forgot DLR even made a tune called Cohiba, but it was pleasant to be reminded of it, with its more laid back feel when compared to his colabs with Octane. Still liked to simplistic bass wob every bar in that & minimal tribal beats every so often. Hoop Dreams is some more newness to my ears & thats easy listening riffs & melodies eased in to Cohiba well, even twisting up its initial half time beats into a more rolling affair. What I Remember brings back more piano vibes, for some subtle 'Oo' vocals to start from the breakdown (I take it thats Legal coming in, if so the blend worked really well).

Herbies Groove rolled well into Legal, if a bit strong, keeping the vibes from the past small handful of tunes going. Away With Me rmx worked well where it is in the mix. I enjoyed the way Fragments brought the pace down a notch, but still kept the energy flowing. 2 Hours arrives in the mix & instantly brings the pace up again with some melodic rolling beats & flowing piano hooks. Not heard Restitution, which kept the summery notes going from 2 Hours before. Not fond of the pacey hectic drum patterns in that myself, but I anticipate the well thought out melody of Restitution to sit well with Japanese Electronics & it did just that. Backwards rmx starts to shuffle into the mix in just the right manor, keeping the essence of Japanese Electronics alive for the blend. Love the minimal bits in Backwards rmx, making that a wicked first listen. Melodic notes of North Zone of SP build for some slightly more flowing drum patterns to sit well with Backwards rmx. It's A Beat chopped up the penultimate tune a treat. Wicked half time jazz notes & piano beats to end on, with an effective vocal being just right on the top of those minimal beats.

I did enjoy it, even though I was a bit skeptical at first. Not usually into the whole liquid dnb / jazz dnb vibe, but I do like the half time / down tempo stuff providing it can mix with dnb. A real eye opener to some of those 'funk' tunes + I liked the way you mixed the half time bits with the more rolling tunes. A wicked concept man!

Also, fair play on using Technics in your mix. What modal 1210's do you have?

Wow Mr Watcha. Some mad feedback there. Cheers for taking the time! Really glad you liked after some initial skepticism, my job is done. You completely understood everything I was trying to do with it and agree with you on everypoint. Can never get it perfect eh. That vocal at the end is off some random vinyl I have called president kennedy's wit, thought it kinda worked with the opening one to make it a complete package. When's your next b&b mix coming out? Am looking forward to that one, and shall give an essay in return.
Mixed it on mk2's, and none of that confusing serato malarky. Really need to recalibrate the pitches though, are at least a decade old the bastards. What you do you b&b on?
Once again man chuffed by the comprehensive beedback. Easyy

Def looks like the vibe I'm on after my most recent mix. Gonna give this a swing.

Hope you like it hab man. Your new offering looks lurvely will give you some thoughts when I get round to dedicating it 100 mins!

Had this on in the car today, really feeling it

Hope you had the windows open for all the UAE lot to hear ha. Glad you liked it mate. See you on the stream.

amazin, love the vibe

Nice one for listening dude. Happy people are feeling it!

Rep added where possible

Alright, my dude, here's a go on the listen I gave:

First off, the intro tune is fucking stellar and when it dropped into Thirst Dub I nearly lost my shit. Fierce fucking transition and I was getting down something nasty to it. Though I was hoping to continue that strong vibe, the switch to The End was great. That tune has got some next level vibes. Really dug into a crate for that one, didn't you? Fucking mental how good a tune like that can fit in a mix where it has no rightful business. It also transitions amazingly into Night on Earth, where you matched the beats essentially perfectly and minimized clanging. Props for that.

Honestly not a big fan of Starchaser to be honest but I liked the transitions into and out of it. Cohiba >>> Hoop Dreams really put me in a good little grind too. Again, tunes like Hoop Dreams just come out of nowhere in this mix and blow me away. The way that chillout/jazzstep tunes meld so nicely with soulful dnb is something that always makes me happy, and I just love when it comes together like this. Big ups.

Legal. Man what a steppy little piece of soul. I love that you're not afraid to dig back and hit on some great oldschool tunes and bring them up to date. Also Herbie's Groove >>> Away With Me was a fucking stellar few minutes of music, one of the best pairings I've heard in a long time. Mixed with great care to EQ and beatmatching as well, and I gotta give huge props to that mix. Possibly the best in the mix.

Wasn't a big fan of Away With Me >>> Fragments even though I love the idea. I think the drums on Fragments are just a little too overpowering to really allow the Away With Me sample to flourish. Maybe cueing down on the mid from Fragments and the high-end on Away With Me? I'm not sure. But I love the idea and ambitious stuff like this makes the mix that more appealing!

Restitution >>> Japanese Electronics, in retrospect, feels like such a no-brainer to try and mix together given the samples and leads. Hell even the basses are somewhat similar. I just never would have thought of it myself. Great creative thinking there!

Also really like the mix between rolling and stepping in Japanese Electronics >>> Backwards. That's a keeper of a mix, right there.

Dug the outro as well. Definitely feeling that Tommy Largo bit, my only complaint being that the Phat Playaz tune does drop out a bit sharply, but it was right before a major change in drum pattern during It's The Beat so I can understand why. Great JFK sample to mix out with too. Keeps the vibe while keeping my attention.

EDIT: Forgot my conclusion! Anyway, I gotta say I was blown away by the song choice on this. Absolutely unreal mix between modern rollers and exceptional throwbacks. All keeping that vibe alive and strong. Super impressed, bro, more like this!

Last edited:
HAB getting in on the 'in depth' tip ^^^

Wow Mr Watcha. Some mad feedback there. Cheers for taking the time! Really glad you liked after some initial skepticism, my job is done. You completely understood everything I was trying to do with it and agree with you on everypoint. Can never get it perfect eh. That vocal at the end is off some random vinyl I have called president kennedy's wit, thought it kinda worked with the opening one to make it a complete package. When's your next b&b mix coming out? Am looking forward to that one, and shall give an essay in return.
Mixed it on mk2's, and none of that confusing serato malarky. Really need to recalibrate the pitches though, are at least a decade old the bastards. What you do you b&b on?
Once again man chuffed by the comprehensive beedback. Easyy

Its cool JHSE23! I'll scratch your back ect... Yeh, I liked the vocals at the beginning & end. A friend of mine had this old vinyl with lots of speech on it that he used to use for the same kind of thing, as well as trying to learn how to scratch.

Next B&B will be around autumn time, as I have a few projects I am working on at the moment that I want to finish off.
Have a pair of mk5 g's myself. Was going to get a pair of mk2's if they were still off the production line, but the only place I could find a new pair of 1210's were from Decks.co.uk a year ago at Christmas, so I treated myself to a pair :) Yeh, an essay would be sweet on the next mix. Ez

Back
Top Bottom