Marketing of a new Drum and Bass artist

I had a longer reply but somehow after the login expired it seems that it was deleted.

I think that taking branding and marketing in consideration of DNB is a good idea meanwhile such branding and marketing strategies respect DNB true spirit and roots. It's very sad to see what happened to electronic music with things like EDM. I have some resources that could be helpful.

This guy has a very nice website with lots of information on music bussines, branding and things around electronic music. http://www.digitaldjtips.com

This post might contribute to the thread's topic:

Market Yourself Like A Pro
http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/05/how-to-succeed-at-djing-marketing/

In my case, I'm trying to start a Drum and Bass scene on my town, where you can find little or no DNB at all. For me, all this information is very useful to make people know the good things DNB has to show.

I hope it helps.

[MENTION=99988]Arkitekton[/MENTION]

Great post. I'll read into that one. One things for sure, knocking other peoples music isn't a good idea and its actually the best way to go backwards. Just my two cents before I look into it. Also, I'll probably get back into facebook but it definitely wont be on a personal account, but business.

Holy shit, guys, this thread is almost 10 years old...

It is easy to market an artist who specializes in D&B.

Select the style of dnb that one would like to produce. Follow the labels that are similar to that particular style ( in my case samurai, auxillary, exit, CX etc, way better than my shit anyway) and study how they sell an unknown artist. it is all about market segmentation, even within an niche market such as D&B. Promotion does take part, but not that much since the product is priority. Quote me tomorrow and I'll explain in more detail or ffs, PM me :) xx

Sorry, I am fucking drunk, sounding like logikz lolololololoololo alalalala :P Long live d&B lalalal #D&B4lajf

It is easy to market an artist who specializes in D&B.

Select the style of dnb that one would like to produce. Follow the labels that are similar to that particular style ( in my case samurai, auxillary, exit, CX etc, way better than my shit anyway) and study how they sell an unknown artist. it is all about market segmentation, even within an niche market such as D&B. Promotion does take part, but not that much since the product is priority. Quote me tomorrow and I'll explain in more detail or ffs, PM me :) xx

Sorry, I am fucking drunk, sounding like logikz lolololololoololo alalalala :P Long live d&B lalalal #D&B4lajf

:withstupi

:lol: ...and I am also drunk. Good points Menosance. Following the similar labels and researching their approach is Brilliant! (not stupid, Ive just been wanting to use that emoticon for a while now) [MENTION=90]logikz[/MENTION]

Long live DNB.

But what about promoting your style DNB (newer artists as well) to those not even familiar with DNB? That's seems to be my focus and I find that many of those people really like it.

Last edited:
Dear Menosance, that's a good way to put it.

Benchmarking is always helpful, but never forget that on marketing a determinant fact for succes is differentiation, in other words what makes you unique and what do you have that your followers/consumers can find with you but not with another one. Also, another recomendation from me would be to look into the pictures of the people attending of the parties/events of the brands alike to your DNB interests, that would give you a clear idea of the consumer's profile: what do they think, how old are they, which brands do they use and consume, how do they dress, which ages, how's the girl/guys percentage and so on.

Best advice I've heard from professionals is to impersonate your brand as a human being (be it a label, an artist, a music project or so on), making an sketch of what should that person buy, eat, befriend and which places would he go to.

Here's the beggining of a very good series of how to succes and brand yourself as a DJ: http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/03/how-to-succeed-at-djing-part-1/

Best wishes.

What I notice is that there's a whole world out there whos not even familiar with Drum and Bass, but when I meet someone I want to share it with I'll think of the style they would probably like and share it with them and it's usually a success. That's not completely off topic though, because when your promoting yourself or another newer artist you shouldn't forget about the whole wide world of people who have never heard of it. Find those who you think would like it and promote it.

Also, some producers aren't stuck on making all their tracks sound the same and theres usually a slight variance in style. For example, a producer could produce Neurofunk and Techstep but these styles may also differ. Some may be more dark and some may have a more metal touch and the Neurofunk may vary as well. Don't limit yourself to your favorite producers styles and marketing approach. Get out there and pioneer some shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Avoid getting stuck in the traditional way of thinking and think outside your box.

I really like this thread as it's provoking creative thought. Ive been thinking about this for a while now and have so much to say, but I'll wait till later. For now, I'll leave you with this thought provoking question:

Why is it that there are so many people in this world, some who even listen to similar bass music, whos never heard of Drum and Bass?

ok two questions. Deep thought:

For you personally, what is it about?

Two very important questions.

Last edited:
Its good to study your favorite labels approach, but that's a very small box and we all know this. The techniques are useful though. However, heres two serious problems I have noticed that seem to prevail in the DNB scene and they make DNB promotion and advancement extremely difficult:

1.) Many DNB fans are stuck so far up their favorite labels ass that they wont buy from other labels even though they really and truly like it. That tells me, for them, its not about the music at all and they don't see the big picture. Even geographical locations seem to be a factor in the buyers decision. This creates a division underneath the façade of a Drum and Bass family.

2.) I'm working on how to word this and will respond later. It may end up being more than two.

Ok, for the sake of a good nights sleep Ill say this and I'm done preaching. It's absolutely impossible to advance Drum and Bass... without advancing Drum and Bass. You may think that sounds stupid and Id like to agree but that is in fact the big picture. If you obey your favorite producers and labels, believe it or not your not advancing Drum and Bass. At the same time as its family, its also business. Its tough for producers and labels to steer you in the direction of advancing Drum and Bass because they are in business as well. So without even realizing whats going on weve got many producers and labels actually hindering the advancement of Jungle/Drum and Bass. What good is it when you not only get possessive of you fans, as well as run people away from the Drum and Bass scene? Remember theres also world of people out there who'd love Drum and Bass, but haven't heard it or the specific style that they would really dig into. The less you obey your favorite producers and labels and the more you obey Drum and Bass, the more chance EVERYONE has to get out there and Drum and Bass grows. And if you know someone who likes or would like any specific style of Drum and Bass, encourage them in that direction - NOT your direction. Obey Drum and Bass. Long live Drum and Bass.

:lighter:

Obviously I've used this thread to touch on a few things that have been on my mind ever since getting into Drum and Bass, so tomorrow I'll try to get to the meat of the OP and maybe start a new thread on this stuff at a later time. Ez

Last edited:
Now I am awake and not drunk, I can talk properly about the subject.

An artist is practically a brand. He creates a style of D&B which makes him be different to other artists, newbie or not. He needs to understand how his target audience works and its reasoning (basically a good use of marketing segmentation is essential). He needs to keep constant interaction with his audience and most importantly, product must be top quality.

Now I am awake and not drunk, I can talk properly about the subject.

An artist is practically a brand. He creates a style of D&B which makes him be different to other artists, newbie or not. He needs to understand how his target audience works and its reasoning (basically a good use of marketing segmentation is essential). He needs to keep constant interaction with his audience and most importantly, product must be top quality.

Right on! So much good in just a few sentences.

Last edited:
Ok, for the sake of a good nights sleep Ill say this and I'm done preaching. It's absolutely impossible to advance Drum and Bass... without advancing Drum and Bass. You may think that sounds stupid and Id like to agree but that is in fact the big picture. If you obey your favorite producers and labels, believe it or not your not advancing Drum and Bass. At the same time as its family, its also business. Its tough for producers and labels to steer you in the direction of advancing Drum and Bass because they are in business as well. So without even realizing whats going on weve got many producers and labels actually hindering the advancement of Jungle/Drum and Bass. What good is it when you not only get possessive of you fans, as well as run people away from the Drum and Bass scene? Remember theres also world of people out there who'd love Drum and Bass, but haven't heard it or the specific style that they would really dig into. The less you obey your favorite producers and labels and the more you obey Drum and Bass, the more chance EVERYONE has to get out there and Drum and Bass grows. And if you know someone who likes or would like any specific style of Drum and Bass, encourage them in that direction - NOT your direction. Obey Drum and Bass. Long live Drum and Bass.

that is quite possibly the biggest load of gobbledygook I have ever read on the internet.

pretty impressive really, keep it up...

:lighter:

Obviously I've used this thread to touch on a few things that have been on my mind ever since getting into Drum and Bass, so tomorrow I'll try to get to the meat of the OP and maybe start a new thread on this stuff at a later time. Ez

Apparently you suffer the syndrome of drunk blogging. That thing where you type loads of words that feel like they make sense.... until you're sober.

Back
Top Bottom