Marketing of a new Drum and Bass artist

charlie87

Yo guys,

My name is charlie and I am doing project for college on the marketing of a drum and bass artist.

I need to know the answer to some questions if you can help me

1) Who are the target audience for the genre of Drum and Bass?

2) What appeals to you the most about a new Dnb artist?
(style, graphics, beat, look)

3) Do you know anywhere i can find secondary research on Drum and Base?

4) If i was to release a new Dnb CD how would i be able to differentiate from the competition successfully?

Thank You for your time

ChaZ

charlie87 said:
Yo guys,

My name is charlie and I am doing project for college on the marketing of a drum and bass artist.

4) If i was to release a new Dnb CD how would i be able to differentiate from the competition successfully?

Thank You for your time

ChaZ

If you can't answer those questions, why did you pick the subject?

Dnb artists aren't marketed in the way you're thinking.

For new producers and djs / It's all about the music speaking for itself, and hard won reputation.

The Dnb audience who what they like and what they want, and they can't be sold anything else.

I'd choose another topic. Marketing doesn't play much of a part in the breakthrough of new artists.

Drum and bass has so many different sub-groups. It depends on the style of tune. ( Dancefloor tunes would be directed at clubber who mix, and dj's who play out... it's not that hard to work out).

? The music. Who gives a shit about anything else?

You mean academic stuff? No idea I'm afraid.

The quality of the mixing, or access to exclusive tunes. Or select a collection of 5 cds worth of rubbish tunes no one's heard of, put it in a box set called 'greatest D&B boxset.... ever!!' and sell it for a tenner to people who don't know any better.

You're really on a loser with this project.

charlie87 said:
Yo guys,

Thank You for your time

ChaZ

----------------------------------------

4) :shrug:

***WARNING LONG REPLY ALERT!!!!***

If you want to get into producing Drum & Bass, you gotta make the style whats suited to you, Me personally I try an make dark tunes, but normally end up turning it into a jump up tune, but itll never become a liquid tune, coz thats not what im into, but thats just my preference, as Im sure youll be different. Dancefloor, Dark & Liquid is what sells units Imo. :cheerlead

Ive broke it down into the main type of dnb imo, (dont kill me for saying this forumheads if I miss ya style out!) Ive listed producers and labels because its an idea to listen to what other people make to see if you can achieve that style, but DO NOT just rip off something you hear, the only way to get noticed in DnB is to be original - Period! :2thumbs:

Dancefloor/Jumpup: youll hear this at a rave, with plenty of pace, massive drops, an insane basslines, particular producers who sell MASSIVE units of this style is Pendulum, Fresh, Friction, Subfocus, Dillinja, Baron, Generation Dub, Total Science, Twisted Individual. Labels to check are: Ram, Breakbeat Kaos, TOV. Frequency, Valve

The Darker side of Drum & Bass: Evil drum edits, Basslines that will knock you off your feet, an plenty of nasty synths to twist you out. Can be techno-vibed, Break-driven or amen-mangalidge.
Producer to check: Evol Intent, Noisia, Spor, Keaton, Black Sun Empire, Hive, Future Prophecies, Dylan, Resonant Evil, Labels are Outbreak, Barcode, Renegade Hardware, Violence.

Jungle: Sure youve heard some jungle in your time, even my dad knows jungle! The jungle sound is making itself a come back imo, loads of Party vibes, Chocked full of rolling beats, laced with a hip hop samples or two accompanied with warping basslines.
Old school Producers are Aphrodite, Krome & Time, Dj Hype, Q Project, Ltj Bukum, Dope Skillz, Bizzy B. Labels such as Ganja, Congo Natty, Urban Takeover. Suburban Bass

Liquid Funk: Smooth, rolling beats, melodic harmonys, full o plenty of Sub bass. Kinda stuff that gets radio play an goes well in a bar or to warm a crowd up at a party. Producers are: Calibre, High Contrast, Commix, Logistics. Labels include: Good Lookin, V recordings, Hospital.

Breaks: Taking old funk samples an cutting the hell out of them, then re-programming the drums to be an original composure. The basslines can vary from dark stabbing synths, to smooth flowing lines. Labels such as Bassbin an Innperspective.

Hope some of thsi helps, plenty to go on imo, Do your homework bruv, an see whats suited to you, not us! :pimp:

Nice breakdown Jay.

Well I don't think its quite accurate to say marketing has no place in drum'n'bass. Just look at the News page of this site to see what I mean. Anything catch your eye? Of course it does, that's marketing (not saying dnbforum is not an impartial source, just that 'News' and information also functions to market a product.)

Ravers. People also get into it from the radio, but most people don't become junglists til they have had a dancefloor experience.

Beats, and they may have a unique style or influence. Its always the music you hear first though, if I read an article or see a photo of an artist whose tunes I haven't heard its really hard to give a fuck about them.

Read some of Simon Reynolds' stuff if you want a fairly cool if slightly wanky view on the jungle rave from 1990 on. :google:

Get a brilliant DJ who rarely does mix CDs but is well known to mix it. Not easy
eg. Bailey, allthough even he has a couple I think.
Packaging is important, just make it bright, chunky and professional looking. Do not use an acid smiley face.

More I could say, come back if you want me to.
:2thumbs:

theres a book out on drum n bass thats supposed to be really good. unfortunately i cant remember the title or author :)weirdo: )sorry! i think its advertised in this months DJ magazine though so take a look in there.

ihurtchildren said:
Or select a collection of 5 cds worth of rubbish tunes no one's heard of, put it in a box set called 'greatest D&B boxset.... ever!!' and sell it for a tenner to people who don't know any better.

:applause:

You Knows it!!!

Marketing dnb is easy

Marketing dnb is all about putting the product in front of the buyers as much as possible, like sending it to DJs, putting it on websites or playing on the radio and having it in the music press, but at the end of the day the tune has to speak for itself. It's a fact that people like something more having heard it a few times.

It's all about making people aware of the tracks, artists and labels you're promoting, the rest just happens by itself.

the good thing about dnb is that it is all boput the music. so marketting would be a little irrelevant. I guess u could market someon like skibba or whatever in a hip hop kinda way.

I guess, Dynamite must have been marketed by someone at one stage for his album.

I had a longer reply but somehow after the login expired it seems that it was deleted.

I think that taking branding and marketing in consideration of DNB is a good idea meanwhile such branding and marketing strategies respect DNB true spirit and roots. It's very sad to see what happened to electronic music with things like EDM. I have some resources that could be helpful.

This guy has a very nice website with lots of information on music bussines, branding and things around electronic music. http://www.digitaldjtips.com

This post might contribute to the thread's topic:

Market Yourself Like A Pro
http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/05/how-to-succeed-at-djing-marketing/

In my case, I'm trying to start a Drum and Bass scene on my town, where you can find little or no DNB at all. For me, all this information is very useful to make people know the good things DNB has to show.

I hope it helps.

[MENTION=99988]Arkitekton[/MENTION]

Great post. I'll read into that one. One things for sure, knocking other peoples music isn't a good idea and its actually the best way to go backwards. Just my two cents before I look into it. Also, I'll probably get back into facebook but it definitely wont be on a personal account, but business.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom