DnB underground dnb is threatened by poppy dnb: marcus intalex

Foxgotbass

there's a lot of poppy drum and bass being released nowadays (hospital records for example). i spoke to marcus intalex about how trends are changing and how the vibe of dnb has seen better days.

he said:
"Drum and bass became important because it’s underground music. It’s kinda lost that a little bit along the way, you know what I mean? What we’re trying to do is say f*** all that cheesy stuff. We’re not interested in that. We’re just trying to portray drum and bass how it should be portrayed, you know."

dnb is nothing like it used to be nowadays and people who don't understand bass music just listen to the poppy stuff.

Check out the whole interview with marcus intalex: http://foxgotbass.com/exclusive-interview-with-marcus-intalex/

personally i disagree, the more 'pop' styles of drum and bass bring new listeners to the genre and many will go on to discover more underground styles. also i believe dnb is as strong as ever quality wise, so many talented producers making such a diverse range of music

personally i disagree, the more 'pop' styles of drum and bass bring new listeners to the genre and many will go on to discover more underground styles. also i believe dnb is as strong as ever quality wise, so many talented producers making such a diverse range of music

this may be true, but I know a lot of people that are really into their 'pop' music, such as a lot of the cheesey club beats you hear nowadays but are also into their cheesy dnb. I think it's more to do with the vibe of the music. People will like cheese whether its house, dubstep, dnb, this "new" trap stuff, or whatever.

People from labels like hospital are people you should thank. They play a big role in the amount of new listeners to drum and bass. Me for example back in about 06, after I found pendulum and black sun empire(who like a lot people found drum and bass through them) I wanted to expand my horizons shortly finding netsky and shapeshifter who both coincidentally ended up being signed to hospital. Eventually I found more underground producers through yt channels like mrsuicidesheep and liquicity back when logistics and high contrast used to be promoted by them. So hopefully through time people into the 'pop' drum and bass choose to find their way around the dnb world :D

Ever since the digital revolution it has become a lot easier to get your music out there. Which is obviously a good thing, so unlike in the 90's when you could only buy the music on vinyl there is now room for all facets of DnB. Poppy stuff has it's place. In some peoples eyes the quality might have been diluted but what you don't like can be easily bypassed.

I agree but, since I have fallen out of love with a lot of modern dnb I have found myself listening to a lot of the older stuff which came out before I got into dnb around 2005 and educating myself.

In the 15 years ive been listening to drum and bass i can honestly say ive never been so dissapointed in the scene.

Jump up is getting a complete joke with these new sounds.

Liquid is getting a joke with these 10 year old videos and production aimed at students all the time.

Ram used to own drum and bass every track was a banger now its more commercial.

Everyone is on the commercial flex since Fresh got his number 1 and everyone seen how much P he's got but its no good for the underground fans.

I totally agree with anyone who thinks drum and bass is getting very dissapointing lately!

there is enough of the good stuff out there, you just need to search for it!

I think drum and bass never had more variation, and I also think that the core scene is never going to be threatend by the pop stuff

there is enough of the good stuff out there, you just need to search for it!

I think drum and bass never had more variation, and I also think that the core scene is never going to be threatend by the pop stuff

this. Obviously it is quite disappointing hearing some new gash tune on radio 1 in the daytime, but the truth is there are still absolute masterpieces being released all the time, you just gotta find them. One example being Mefjus, another being the Annix duo.

I agree there is good stuff out there still but you shouldnt have to find these masterpieces tho they should be right there in front of you but instead its all this commercial stuff being played by big dj's even Andy ive heard as been playing alot of commercial bob lately. I wouldnt know tho as he dont get put on sets anymore but thats another rant all together

Annix duo is a deffo a no no for me, That new jump up im moaning about well that's them. Mefjus is ok again nothing special. I was excited about Roni's new track with Danny Byrd but then i hear it and see it OMG f'in lol's

I disagree, I got into electronic music after hearing shitty commercial dubstep, and then slowly progressed onto Netsky and Camo & Krooked and it was only through the poppy dnb that I started to find the good stuff..

And anyway, I think the DNB scene is absolutely fuckin incredible right now.. Yeah there's more shit than ever but there's also a ridiculous amount of good dnb coming out. Pretty much everything on any of Dispatch, Critical, Subtitles, Demand, Symmetry, Ingredients, Horizons, Renegade Hardware is buy on sight for me, plus there are so many other labels churning out quality tunes (albeit not quite so consistently). And the technical capabilities of producers now means that SO much more is possible, anyone who can't appreciate that is stuck in the past. Sure, some of the labels that used to be a lot more respectable (no names needed) are now mostly releasing shit but that doesn't mean there isn't good stuff out there..

i also disagree... bring on the poppy shit... that'll be a gateway for new heads to branch out to the other forms of dnb. imo more attention brought to this scene is just more exposure to the rest of the dnb artist. if someone learns about dnb through a poppy commercial dnb tune chances are they're going to try and find other dnb that they might like. and if all they like commercial dnb, so be it... they probably have friends that might branch out to a different sounds in dnb. i dont understand why dnb artist want to restrict their fan base. dnb is just like any other business, they need to make money, and to make more money, you need more people buying yo shit!

Whoever says dnb is disappointing these days is a retard. So so much good music about over the last 3 years. Jesus 'commercial' dnb has been arou d since i went to my first rave.. That was in 2003.

People need to realise it isnt 'commercial' as such. Its a producers finding the sounds and opening opportunities to make a better living.

If u were offered a payrise/promotion would u turn it down? No. No you wouldnt.

Dnb still brings vibes no other music can touch and always will. So let it grow and let people like the shit we consider commercial rubbish, its what keeps the scene healthy

Back
Top Bottom