Rifine - Beats & Bass 2 - Data, Overlook, Skeptical, Clarity, Synkro

The Watcha

VIP Junglist
Following on from part 1, I present to you part 2. A slightly less minimal affair in this episode, no jukey bits in there, but still with some names you'd expect to see if you clocked part 1. A few ideas are mounting up for part 3. With Mosaic volume 2 expected to see the light of day in the next few months & a multitude of releases this year from heads who have already made it in to part 1 & 2, part 3 should be out before the end of the year. Hope you enjoy. As always, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Tracklist:-

Dub Phizix & Skeptical - Rags (Exit Recordings)
Breakage - Clarendon (Digital Soundboy)
Overlook - Actress (Alignment Records)
Code 3 - Response Call (Exit Recordings)
Data - Within The Circuit (Horizons Music)
Alix Perez - The Observer (Invisible Recordings)
Clarity - Fractionate (Horizons Music)
Sabre - Marvel (Critical Records)
Ed:it & Overlook - Quarry (Alignment Records)
Skeptical - Another World (Exit Recordings)
Clarity - Other Sights (Samurai Horo)
Loxy & Resound - Black Hole (Exit Recordings)
Atom - Studio Electronics (Phunkfiction Recordings)
Abstract Elements - Vortex Field (Auxiliary)
Data - Phalanx (Blackout Music)
dBridge & Instramental - Blush Response (Exit Recordings)
Data - Muted (Metalheadz)
Abstract Elements - Fourth Dimension (Auxiliary)
Loxy & Skeptical - Engage (Renegade Hardware)
Synkro - Progression (Exit Recordings)
Genotype - Version (Exit Recordings)
Tokyo Prose - Echoes (Synkro rmx) (Samurai Red Seal)

Alternative download - http://dnbshare.com/download/Rifine_Beats_N_Bass_2_DnB_Mix_Jan_2013.mp3.html

this makes me happy

my only gripe is, part 3 before the end of the year. that's like 1 mix in 12 months! sort it aaaaat :)

I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that popped up here lately, but fuck it, this is taking the torch for tomorrow's listening. Really looking forward to it, wicked tracklist :)

this makes me happy

my only gripe is, part 3 before the end of the year. that's like 1 mix in 12 months! sort it aaaaat :)

Yeh, part 3 hopefully before the end of the year, but I have some other interesting ideas to put out in between.
It wasn't just going to be 2 mixes this year :D Hope you guys like this episode

Stop it. TL looks wicked. And Happy Birthday for today or yesterday can't quite remember when it was haha.

Will come back with some thoughts as usual matey.

just finished.
loved it. really nice selection throughout, deep moody vibes getting more melodic towards the end.

mixing was spot on. really clean and seamless.

favourite blends were:
rags > clarendon - love clarendon. was nice to hear it again and mixed so well.

actress > responce call. blinding.

and my fav... black hole > studio elements. mix was awesome man.

introduced me to some new tracks i havent heard before or bagged.
thanks man. look forward to part 3.

just finished.
loved it. really nice selection throughout, deep moody vibes getting more melodic towards the end.

mixing was spot on. really clean and seamless.

favourite blends were:
rags > clarendon - love clarendon. was nice to hear it again and mixed so well.

actress > response call. blinding.

and my fav... black hole > studio elements. mix was awesome man.

introduced me to some new tracks i havent heard before or bagged.
thanks man. look forward to part 3.

Wah Mr Bizzle! You're too kind. Thanks for the first bit of feedback.
Really pleased you digged the first blend. Wanted to place Rags into an episode, but couldn't decide where to place it.
Was also undecided on what to mix with Actress, & Response Call was the last piece of the puzzle.
Plus had almost forgot I had Studio Elements till I saw it sat there going unmixed.

Glad I can make others aware of new(ish) music mate :) Some abstract flavours making there way into part 3 ;)

Downloading and going in the car rotation, Part 1 was tres cool, different, but very cool! I echo again mate, you need to get a night somewhere, would be a joy each time to hear what was coming, keep everyone on their toes!

Downloading and going in the car rotation, Part 1 was tres cool, different, but very cool! I echo again mate, you need to get a night somewhere, would be a joy each time to hear what was coming, keep everyone on their toes!

Thanks Tewky. Interested to hear what you think of part 2 if you enjoyed part 1.
I try my best to vary ideas from recording to recording. They say variety is the spice of life.
A handful of interesting ideas still to come this year ;)

so many stuff to listen right now. but I'm defs into this, after the feedback you gave me, I will feel bad if I don't take a serious listen to it. I will give my feedback when I can :)

Dude, me and you have pretty much exactly the same taste in dnb. Tracklist looked insane and the mix didn't disappoint.
Clarendon is such a sick tune, i need to start playing this more often, the mix into Actress was wicked aswell.
Loved the Skeptical - Another World, Other Sights, Black Hole section. Great selection as all tunes sounded wicked together. Atom - Studio Electronics is actually a tune ive never heard before but is one I defiantly need to bag.
Data - Phalanx into Blush Response was great, despite the fact I don't actually like Phalanx that much.
The Tokyo Prose remix is pure vibes, real adore that tune.
All in all a wicked mix as expected, cant fault it, track selection was totally on point and mixing was good. Big ups man!

Right, next up, fallen gemini's new mix!

Dude, me and you have pretty much exactly the same taste in dnb. Tracklist looked insane and the mix didn't disappoint.
Clarendon is such a sick tune, i need to start playing this more often, the mix into Actress was wicked aswell.
Loved the Skeptical - Another World, Other Sights, Black Hole section. Great selection as all tunes sounded wicked together. Atom - Studio Electronics is actually a tune ive never heard before but is one I defiantly need to bag.
Data - Phalanx into Blush Response was great, despite the fact I don't actually like Phalanx that much.
The Tokyo Prose remix is pure vibes, real adore that tune.
All in all a wicked mix as expected, cant fault it, track selection was totally on point and mixing was good. Big ups man!

Right, next up, fallen gemini's new mix!

:) Cheers man! Thought we might have similar taste in dnb Sicx, but I think you have a vast & diverse knowledge of the genre.

You picked up on some of the bits I liked the most in the mix too. Another World - Other Sights is my favourite mix in there & I wanted to put in part 1, but didn't want to put all my eggs in 1 basket, then I found the mix with Black Hole. I like the way Other Sights fills in some of the percussion in Another World.

Phalanx - Blush Response was a bit spur-of-the-moment as I was struggling to find a tune to mix out of Phalanx & thought the different drum structure in Blush Response would sit well with it. I love Blush Response & wanted to place it in an episode where it would vibe off another tune. Thought Phalanx would have been up your cup of tea though.

Studio Electronics was 1 of those impulse buys that has sat in my stack for a fair bit. Must start playing it some more,
plus Echoes rmx is a quality piece of music as you mentioned. Saw Synkro play on Friday 11th January & he played a wicked set.

Am pleased you peeped & liked this episode. As mentioned, there are some abstract bits making there way into part 3 that should be up your street.

well it's safe to say your mixing ability matches your taste in music to a T, completely flawless set. just goes to show you don't need a brand spanking new set of tracks to deliver a blinding mix. after having only listened to it a couple of times when it first came out, and then been absolutely rinsing it over the christmas period, big up for playing Fractionate. my favourite Clarity tune now. i've been playing other sights and black hole together too so big ups for that.

just pure quality mate, would be good to hear a combined mix of the footwork vibes from your last and the straight minimal vibes from this. and likewise my next one will probably just be Mosaic Vol 2 in mix form too :)

well it's safe to say your mixing ability matches your taste in music to a T, completely flawless set. just goes to show you don't need a brand spanking new set of tracks to deliver a blinding mix. after having only listened to it a couple of times when it first came out, and then been absolutely rinsing it over the christmas period, big up for playing Fractionate. my favourite Clarity tune now. i've been playing other sights and black hole together too so big ups for that.

just pure quality mate, would be good to hear a combined mix of the footwork vibes from your last and the straight minimal vibes from this. and likewise my next one will probably just be Mosaic Vol 2 in mix form too :)

Cheers jsmith! You're too kind. I wouldn't say completely flawless as we are self critical of our own work, but I was happy that it sounded good enough to put out.

Maybe you were playing part 1 over the Christmas period, as this only dropped 3 days ago :) Wanted to put Fractionate in an episode as I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Clarity made it to be a contrast to Parallels. Real broody tune. Funny how heads come up with mixes that you might find yourself sometimes. Great minds & all that.

Might go back in with some of the tunes in part 1 & 2 in the future, but I like to try & get a mix together with tunes that I haven't used in recordings before. It keeps the ideas fresh & its challenging. I know a few people say to stick to 1 particular style, but I try to vary things up & as Tewky said, keeps people on there toes as to what might be coming in the next mix :)

Interested to hear your next 1 when it surfaces. Your mixes usually tick all the boxes. Part 3 is coming along nicely with nearly 30 mins of blends to string together, but I want to make it an hour long, as per all the parts in this short series. Thanks for taking the time to listen man!

Must spread some rep around before treating jsmith & sicx again

Last edited:
This was blinding!

First four tunes flowed so well. Got both Rags & Clarendon on vinyl so will be giving that a spin! Really well EQ'd too.

Then :-
Alix Perez - The Observer (Invisible Recordings)
Clarity - Fractionate (Horizons Music)
Sabre - Marvel (Critical Records)
Ed:it & Overlook - Quarry (Alignment Records)
Skeptical - Another World (Exit Recordings)

Considering I own 3 out of the 5 tunes in this section, to hear how good it was really impressed me. Can't wait for Another World VIP. Mosaic 2 shall be good. props for playing Observer. Love the breakdown before the 2nd drop on that one...so so good.

& Finally

Loxy & Skeptical - Engage (Renegade Hardware)
Synkro - Progression (Exit Recordings)
Genotype - Version (Exit Recordings)
Tokyo Prose - Echoes (Synkro rmx) (Samurai Red Seal)

Loved the vibes when Progession comes in. Wicked selection throughout matey. Finishing with that Synkro remix was perfect too tbh.

You really have it nailed how to get a flow in a mix going & stick to it. The transitions between mixes are really steady, and could hardly fault the EQing.

*awaits volume 3*. Big ups matey, smashed this one.

Back
Top Bottom