Drum n Bass is so hard to produce...

Those masterclass "tutorial" production walkthroughs have all been very basic, none have helped me. Except for the rockwell when he said some samples fit together nicely so there wouldn't be too hard to weld them together, that's a good advice, I've been way too much trying to squeeze some together with crazy eq's and such.

Man this is tedious. He says he uses only samples. I don't think I'd have the patience for that.

You should watch one of his other ones where he makes a tune from scratch, he works unbelievably quickly with samples. I resample every sound I make into a folder now after watching his videos just so I can chuck it in the next thing I make. And with pogo and stretching and reversing you can get some really interesting sounds you just can't get through a synth, not with one twist of a knob anyway.

What do you find boring about it?
Make a techno track that you don't find boring.

Boring is the wrong word to use I suppose. It's the only style that I have found success with thus far in my career. I just would like to expand my musical horizons, as I'm tired of the same genre over and over. But I'm failing miserably with every other genre I try. Nothing seems to be working and it's just killing me not being able to create as I once did.

Last edited:
I find it very difficult to get a good jump up bass sound going. It's driving me crazy. It took me several years to get comfortable with drum production.

I think I will just stick to techno and house. I've tried and tried, but I just suck at making dnb :\ Plus the scene is dead here.

For about 3 years drum and bass and anything i done production wise was painful. Mixdowns,eqing just put me right off!!!! i found i was reading to much of forums and found myself writing with rules. dont do this,dont do that. emperor explains it perfectly in this video.........
go to 24 mins

so yer. it will take time, alot of patience! ive been writing music for around 15 years and i can happily say ive only just started to enjoy making music again! just be patient man

I registered just to thank this. Then I noticed there was no "Thanks" function on this forum. So "Thanks" for this awesome video and your post. Well said.

Last edited by a moderator:
no no, its just that the "thanks" button functionality is somewhat intermittent, so sometimes its there, and sometimes its not. when the software update is upon us, we will get a "like" system with points, like everyone else. i think "rep" (the sheriffs badge on the bottom of the posts) is the nicest of all, since you can both approve and disapprove and leave a message too, but i tihnk this function will also disappear when the upgradening is upon us

I'm still waiting for the solution of how to make a good Drum&Bass tune packed up and sent right to my address. I'll just open this little present and all the struggle will be gone :derp2:

I stopped doing DNB for a while and started making oldschool boom-bap hip hop, that got me so much new experience!
recently went back to DNB and realised that I became much more secure and decent at mixing, sound design and so on, so it is very useful to collect experience in other genres. Won't stop doing Hip-Hop though because it is a great genre when it comes to the old stuff that consists of a vintage drum kit, jazz, funk or soul samples and some bass.

I tend to flit between genres, although mostly D&B and dubstep.

In some ways I find producing D&B to be more formulaic (for want of a better word), so long as I've got a decent 16 bar loop its often quite clear to me how I can construct the first half of the track, much of it just revolves around maintaining the energy and making enough variations to not get tedious. My approach to the second drop and how I can make it different from the first but still clearly the same track can be trickier. The hardest thing for me is that my preference for melodic/chord-based intros can be difficult to gel with the more abrasive bass-lines of the main track, not to mention risk making the intro somewhat DJ-unfriendly.

if I'm gonna be honest I find I prefer making dubstep, the added space for more experimental percussion, the opportunity to throw in more spaced out sounds. The slower tempo and the emphasis on the third beat kind of lend it to much more emotive musicality too.

For me they are different moods and require different mindsets, D&B is a buzz for me generally, dubstep is more of a chill thing. This translates to my state when I'm producing too.

Masterclasses like Techimatic, Alix Perez, Emperor, Villem, Break have given me a lot of inspiration and have helped bridge the gap between novice and pro producer as when you start out you really can't relate to a top producer. So it does help to know often it's really just making things sound "right" rather than having superior know how. I also like the idea of sampling and manipulating and modulating samples as synthesis looks like such a cunt to even begin to master. Emperor's method of producing is very accessible imo.

but dare to be dope, dont be afraid to use easy techniques that simply sound good, classic breaks, a sub and a string arrangement for example, if you can pull that off, youre already on your way. and dont bother with trendy sounds. make music, not frequencies with programs

dnb - its not easy !!...

but in time you will manage to complete tunes here and there.. even some great producers have off days , so imagine if your new and have non creative days!!, it can be very frustrating !!

its all about "consistency" and you will just clock on!! .. keep going at it !

also with synths and stuff like massive, id steer away from sound designing your own basses at the moment and get used to using presets and watch videos on how to chop , resample and sequence a patch rather than, making your own sounds from scratch. it can be daunting task for a beginner or some one who really struggles or has a frustrating non creative day !!

but I'm not saying not to attempt creating your own sounds at all!!.. practise those too of course and if it sounds good incorporate it into your track. I was saying sometimes the process can drain you as it can takes ages to get a good sound out and could knacker your ears and jar your brain to make the rest of your tune!

"consistancy" is the key !!.. keep it up and I'm sure you will come out with some good stuff!!..

good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom