Headphones for production

Shock/Tactics

Get the fuck up
Hey guys

Can someone recommend me some headphones for producing with? between £20-50 really, not looking for anything amazing, I've already got monitors so these are just to use in college really

Thanks

Hey guys

Can someone recommend me some headphones for producing with? between £20-50 really, not looking for anything amazing, I've already got monitors so these are just to use in college really

Thanks

Well for probably about £10 online you could get some Sennheiser HD201's, thats what i have at the moment, they are not the best for bass, but i reckon they are good for the price, they don't really look good either lol. These are the only headphones I've used properly for making tunes so the only model i actually know about, so its the only ones i can suggest but thought i would anyways, they've got me through 7 months of producing.

Off the of my head for that price range, check out the following brands: Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, and Shure.

A couple things to keep in my mind when buying/browsing:
  • Always try the headphones in person at a local shop before buying them. Aside from sound quality, you want something that's going to be comfortable to wear.
  • What you pay for is what you get. If you can, up your budget around 80-90 to get a slightly better headphone.
  • When browsing/researching, be sure to check out the frequency range of the headphone.
  • Avoid headphones that advertise "bass boost" or other fancy/gimmicky names. You want headphones that deliver a clean, uncolored signal.
  • Headphone Burn-in is often overlooked and will make a difference with the way your headphones sound. Check out my post here.
  • Avoid beats by Dre. I'm sure Dre himself doesn't even use these overpriced pieces of shit.

Cheers!

It's a good job your not looking for anything amazing becuase you won't get it for that price.

I'd recommend the following brands for consideration; AKG, Audio Technica, Bayer Dynamic and Sony. All have good quality studio headphones in there range.

a hip hop producer in chicago was talking to me when i used to smoke weed and it was like - use cheap as fuck discman style headphones and as long as you can hear the highs you're good...

just a thought. sony is always good. i don't know.

sony mdr xb 500

got them a week ago. really amazingly comfortable on your ears. i can wear them for hours. the material of the ear-cups feels like soft boobies.

Avoid beats by Dre. I'm sure Dre himself doesn't even use these overpriced pieces of shit

Skrillex uses beats for mixing xD

but on the subject:
I would go with sony xb 500. the sony xb series is just fantastic.
Just don't get the cheapest one, the 300, that one isn't that good.
Otherwise, a Sennheiser headphone is always good so that might be a good option too.

Beats are not bad but they are definitely overpiced and in many cases overated, there are better quality headphones on the market for half the price where you are not paying for endorsements.

But I'd put my life on it that beats mix is not the final mix.

If it's just for going to college bro I recommend the Sony MDR V150s. I have them on right now actually! They are awesome for listening to music at home or whatever, fine for DJing and when I was first producing were all I used because I didn't have decent speakers...

I am on my second pair atm but in all fairness the others went through plenty of use and the first breakage was being sat on. They were still usable after this but I replaced them recently cause at my recent gig they bent in the bottom of my bag :( Still usable again but uncomfortable!

Also, check out my EP in my sig. That EP was mixed down using these headphones! :) I did use a spectrum analyser for assistance and of course I did check on monitors afterwards but only subtle changes were needed.

So, I would say they are good for the sort of thing you want, they are rather sturdy (but don't be too mean to them!) and are capable for most production tasks imo :) And they cost about £15

Back
Top Bottom