Crossing genres in a mix

bondizzy

Hi all. Aswell as DnB I'm bang into my deep/tech house and future garage and have always had difficulty mixing between each genre. Does anybody have any tips or tricks on how to do so?

well due to the different tempos beatmatching is not an option.

unless your clever and can change a 45 rpm dnb record to 33 and then quickly match the beat. it can be done depending on the speed of your other track.

maybe blend a incoming pad sound into an outro. make it a quick transition. dont think the longer the mix is the better it will be coz its not true. keep it simple, practice/record, see what sounds good. most of all keep it clean.

Anything without a snare on the break. I.e - no beat. Doesnt work all the time but can be pulled off with the right tune

One for example is ' oblique ' on critical records . on the break after the vocal there is no beat just a few piano sounds. Its all down to knowing your tunes mate

There are several cross genre tunes out there. The first that springs to mind is dirtyphonics - Polygon. This goes from 175 - 128 (or thereabouts) So making it smooth to transition into some dirty electro / dubstep or something.

Otherwise, if youre playing a bit more laid back tunes; use what the old hands use! The turntables! Turn off power, wind down deck, bring in new tune.

There are several cross genre tunes out there. The first that springs to mind is dirtyphonics - Polygon. This goes from 175 - 128 (or thereabouts) So making it smooth to transition into some dirty electro / dubstep or something.

Otherwise, if youre playing a bit more laid back tunes; use what the old hands use! The turntables! Turn off power, wind down deck, bring in new tune.

Anymore tunes that you can think of that have bpm changes in them?

Do a search for Ollie MacFarlane - Turn Back Time, garagey kind of track that switches up to DnB. Also, I can't remember the name of it atm but there is a track by Flore that goes from house to DnB.

Other than those all I can suggest is work that CDJ 100% pitch bend like a boss

Quite a lot of tunes have sections where the bpms change, also investing in a cdj is always a good shout as you can change the speed by a large margin without changing the pitch.

Also using atmospheric intros and breakdowns is always a good shout.

Another way is remixes, if you have a tune thats been remixed in the genre you want to switch to then mash up the remixes.

Its all about being creative tho

Another way is remixes, if you have a tune thats been remixed in the genre you want to switch to then mash up the remixes.

Good call! I use this technique with a few tunes. Switch on the breakdown and no-one will know the difference! I beleive it was one of xilents EP's that had the same tune as a house and dubstep remix of the same tune.

Try the transition in an atmospheric part. THings that i sometimes do is makin' a loop and turn down the pitch till i reach a bmp i can beatmatch with my incoming tune.

Samplers and stuff do the job also well.

I'm always on the hunt for these. Dirtyphonics have a couple. Polygon, quarks, and vandals. Also check g force Jesus by ed rush and optical.

Back
Top Bottom