Reference tracks - what are you using?

whosblong

Just curious what everyone is using for reference tracks when mixing and mastering their stuff? I tend to use a recently released track along with another track or two which are older ones (1-2 years ago) to get a range of where I fall in terms of loudness and definition. Currently using Wilkinson-Overdose, DC Breaks-Halo, and Camo & Crooked-Cross the Line. Any other suggestions?

Give a listen for all of your tracks in progress, best mixdown comes from patience and a lot of project time, every time give a listen with fresh ears. I find it best to compare tunes by their spectrogram image, always tells you where you have too loud components in track.

Don't worry too much about the loudness when you're mixing - the mastering will sort that out- just listen for the clarity of all the sounds i guess- I like to use Noisia for my referencing alot but it depends on the tune your making- you want whatever is similar to it but still really well produced of course

I'll reference to a track that I find has the certain "mix" I'm trying to achieve, so it varies really. I find that my go-tos are typically Loadstar, Tantrum Desire and Matix/Futile.

Cheers.

Basher / Sub Focus .. Collectively they have covered every type of sound on their albums

I reference all my tunes against "Cotten Eye Joe"!

All about scatman john I hear.

EDIT: This may be a really stupid question, but is it common to use a 3D spectral analyser? Does such an animal exist? Like to check where things are sitting in the mix...
I know I know, use your ears... ;P but just out of interest.

Last edited:
All about scatman john I hear.

EDIT: This may be a really stupid question, but is it common to use a 3D spectral analyser? Does such an animal exist? Like to check where things are sitting in the mix...
I know I know, use your ears... ;P but just out of interest.

edit: found one

3d_stereogram_full.png

Last edited:
Logic ChanEQ analyser, t-racks meter (have a cool "perceived loudness meter") and the buit-in multimeter of logic again. I use refer to producers like xilent, noisia, phace and so on but only when it comes to "master" my tracks (tbh i'm not into mastering at all...), because you know... they all have a solid pro mastering behind and they will sound phat, sometimes i use the meters to analyse the shape of the spectrum at certain point of a song (ex. a drop) and i try to reverse-engineer the EQ, but it's not a clean job, and i think it's not the best way to achieve a good EQ, just a kind of cheat i suppose :D

edit: found one

3d_stereogram_full.png

Until I get a pure square box coming out of that thing I'll not be happy with my drum and bass "slam" factor.

:2thumbs::dutty::2thumbs:

---------- Post added at 04:42 ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 ----------

I've never used a ref. track before, always go by ear (and memory) ... might try it out as I've heard it's the way to go. I don't like the feeling that my track isn't "mine" though.

Back
Top Bottom