That Dose/Optiv snare

BenCoherent

I usually like to work these things out but ive literally been smashing my head against a brick wall with this one!!

Examples: Waterboard, No one else, Squander.

Its blatantly all about the Lower layer but ive had no joy in locating the right sounding snare which seems to be the key to getting that warm hollow sound.........My suspicion on processing would be EQ and some parallel compression but im definately open to some other suggestions, sometimes the answers right in front of you but you cant see it ( the old woods/trees syndrome)

In short any suggestions would be welcomed and any suggestive snares will be made love to gently.

Peace
Ben

Not sure what DAW you're using, but I find that Logic's "overdrive" plugin insert does the job nicely to add a bit of "thickness" to the tone of the snare. You can either set it up directly on the channel strip itself of set it to a bass and "send" the snare to the bus. I tend to keep the drive setting on the low end (below 3) and adjust the cutoff to taste (lower values effect the low end of the sound and vice versa).

If you don't have Logic, a simple distortion plugin the contains a drive and cutoff option should suffice.

Cheers,

im in cubase, but a proud owner of camelphat which should do the job, will have a play tomorrow.

cheers for the suggestion!

yeah, lost has been using the overdrive plug in on our drums for awhile, and it sounds great. I usually sneak in behind him and put camelphat on top of that (shh). i love huge drums.

Haha Yes Overdrive and CamelPhat are both amazing, but I still think it's gotta be down to the original snare sample- theres only so much processing can do. Would love to know where to get such nice snare samples to begin with!

can somebody post audio example. ive never heard these artist but im guessing its a thick blast of white noise from vengance sample packs with overdrive, but im just guessing now. and im probably right.

Optiv...Vengence...definately not...

Him and BTKs sample libaries have been acumulated and processed over many year. The biggest hint I can give would be to overdrive and eq...in actual fact its not much more than that...

yeah, lost has been using the overdrive plug in on our drums for awhile, and it sounds great. I usually sneak in behind him and put camelphat on top of that (shh). i love huge drums.
And huge drums love you!

Haha Yes Overdrive and CamelPhat are both amazing, but I still think it's gotta be down to the original snare sample- theres only so much processing can do. Would love to know where to get such nice snare samples to begin with!

This is a very crucial point. Prior to venturing out into layering, processing, etc. the key is to begin with the cleanest sounding snare hits you can find (The Loxy/Resound sample pack has some beautiful unprocessed snares). Then you can begin the process of layering and processing. IMO, it would cause more harm than good to try to layer two heavily processed snares and then further process them.

So i got this far and a couple sound pretty good so i thought id share em.
Not the exact sound but thats never a bad thing.

That Snare

Share the tweaks! always interesting to see what others do.

So i got this far and a couple sound pretty good so i thought id share em.
Not the exact sound but thats never a bad thing.

That Snare

Share the tweaks! always interesting to see what others do.

Considering they'd have further processing on them when you're making a track... I think yours are decent.

Would you mind sharing roughly how you made them?

Parallel compression is the main driving force, the basis of the snare is a short punchy layer that has a bus with a compressor working pretty hard. then the compressed version and the normal version go into another bus which has the kick into it as-well for some EQ'ing. i Also run a bus with all my percussion so i can EQ then as a group before it goes into the final.

Ive recently started creating a project purely for making breaks which means theres nothing else to distract. Seems to make me work better.

Back
Top Bottom