Waves December Deals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Drum & Bass Forum
    Thanks

Question about some hardware

Hey,

I get 16 in 3 weeks = money

So I thought about buying me some hardware.
    What du you guys think is important for me as a beginner?

I want some standard things with good quality
    Shouldn't be too expensive, but not to cheap

I already have some good headphones

First I thought about updating my cubase from the demoversion to the artist-version
    Then I thought about boxes
    and a MIDI-keyboard ( 2 octaves ? )

What of these hardware would you recommend for me? ( Please with a link to it )
    Is there another important hardware?
    Or shall I better buy software?

So please help me, its up to you what I'll buy with the new money

Thanks for your help,
    Greets
    Last edited by mAEx; 20-03-2012 at 00:41.

Thanks

Re: Question about some hardware

Id say upgrade to Cubase 6. Cuz with your demo running out you aint gonna be doing much with that hardware buddy

Have a serious look at some other software though, try their demos too. I'm a little bias toward Cubase as i use it. But yeah. Try some tings.

"Everyman do his ting a little way different. The tings i do i do a different way from you.."

Thanks

Gotta prioritize your needs, based off what you've said in already, I'd recommend you take care of your daw first, then a midi keyboard, then audio interface and you can make the decision on whether or not you want to get some vsts or monitors. DAW and midi keyboard are most important imo - not really much in terms of hardware that you could get that would benefit you at all without those two things.

Thanks

I'd say Monitors are the most important thing you can get. Not much point in a keyboard if you can't hear what you're doing...

Drum & Bass Forum
    Thanks

An audio interface is a must, so many new producers overlook them. I know i did!

Drum & Bass Forum
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elmaruk View Post
    Id say upgrade to Cubase 6. Cuz with your demo running out you aint gonna be doing much with that hardware buddy

Have a serious look at some other software though, try their demos too. I'm a little bias toward Cubase as i use it. But yeah. Try some tings.
    I also checked Fl studios but I dont like it really much...
    Logic seems cool, too, but I dont have a Mac
    And reason/ableton seems to be quiet similar to Cubase
    And I also dont really want to 'learn' a new programm...
    But why are you bias toward it??

Quote Originally Posted by T:M View Post
    Gotta prioritize your needs, based off what you've said in already, I'd recommend you take care of your daw first, then a midi keyboard, then audio interface and you can make the decision on whether or not you want to get some vsts or monitors. DAW and midi keyboard are most important imo - not really much in terms of hardware that you could get that would benefit you at all without those two things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    I'd say Monitors are the most important thing you can get. Not much point in a keyboard if you can't hear what you're doing...

Okay so I made a list now:

- DAW-update
    - midi-keyboard
    - audio interfaces
    - boxes

( monitors will be a bit difficult because I have a laptop^^ )

Which models would you recommend for me?

Storms comin in Annie marcelkennard's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a laptop. Monitors are not difficult.
    I would say that monitors are the single most important thing you want for production and of course you need a DAW. All I have is a pair of edirol monitors and a 2 and a half octave edirol midi keyboard with knobs on ( definitely try and find one with knobs assignable!).
    I also have another screen so maybe consider one if you have any leftover moniesss.
    I would spend no more than 100ish on a keyboard- make sure u spend enough on the monitors though- at least a couple hundred- dont worry too much about the sub of them just make sure they have a crystal clear sound at high and low volumes. Also I wouldnt bother with an audio interface unless your planning on doing lots of recording. If you prefer the sampling and synthesising tactic then you hardly need an interface- especially when ur still looking at getting a daw, monitors and keys!!!

Thanks

You keep talking about "boxes", what do you mean by that? Just a guess (and I could well be wrong) but I'm thinking that you keep saying "boxes" but really mean audio interface. Again I could be wrong, just trying to make sense of what you mean when you say "boxes".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marcelkennard View Post
    Also I wouldnt bother with an audio interface unless your planning on doing lots of recording. If you prefer the sampling and synthesising tactic then you hardly need an interface- especially when ur still looking at getting a daw, monitors and keys!!!
    This is a very bad advice mate. Since most audio interfaces are actually just a box with in- and outputs that connects to the soundcard that goes with it. Now this is where the magic in terms of latency and audio quality are. An audio interface with an soundcard, either internal or external, USB or non-USB will offer you much less latency and much better audio quality than when working with an simple on-board audio card or one of the simple gaming/listening soundcards. The simple cards that can be found in most complete computer systems are not suited for producing and it will result in worse audio quality and possibly a lot of latency.

Quote Originally Posted by T:M View Post
    You keep talking about "boxes", what do you mean by that? Just a guess (and I could well be wrong) but I'm thinking that you keep saying "boxes" but really mean audio interface. Again I could be wrong, just trying to make sense of what you mean when you say "boxes".
    I think with boxes he means speakers. Dude listen, your best thing to do would be upgrading your DAW, then buying a audio interface since the last thing will give you the possibility to connect your MONITOR speakers through the interface to your laptop. I would get the keyboard last, since it's just a tool to make things easier while everything you can do with it can also be done without. I spend my first five years producing on shitty speakers and it kept me from improving, I started improving at a rapid pace when I ditched them and got myself a pair of monitors and an audio interface.
    Last edited by ARTFX; 20-03-2012 at 20:19.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,410 Times in 909 Posts

i circumvented the audio interface by getting a soundcraft desk. youll need one eventually of course, youll need both eventually so id say monitors, a desk, a good soundcard with audio interface, midi controller aaaaand an electric guitar. so you can shred.
    .http://www.easternpromiseaudio.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jungalist-Murda to Dylan (Freak Recordings)
    so you claim man but iz diz clam shot real? prolly another one of your fackin lie's ya erd me
    everything & could possible do
    adam is a massive bo derek

Drum & Bass Forum
    Thanks

Thank you guys for your tips

Quote Originally Posted by ARTFX View Post
    I think with boxes he means speakers. Dude listen, your best thing to do would be upgrading your DAW, then buying a audio interface since the last thing will give you the possibility to connect your MONITOR speakers through the interface to your laptop. I would get the keyboard last, since it's just a tool to make things easier while everything you can do with it can also be done without. I spend my first five years producing on shitty speakers and it kept me from improving, I started improving at a rapid pace when I ditched them and got myself a pair of monitors and an audio interface.
    Yes, speakers I meant

So I made a new list:

DAW ( Cubase ) update > audio interface > monitors > midi-keyboard > speakers
    Is this list okay?

But now.. hmm... it's hard to explain it for me..
    From which manufracturer should I buy these things?
    You know I mean like: ' I would recommend you the audio intereface ''Alesis IO 2 Express'' because its an nice price and it's a good quality'

Thanks

First, monitors ARE speakers mate.. So for production you'll just need monitors in terms of speakers, nothing more. Then it would be best to buy the soundcard/interface at the same time when buying the monitors, since your soundcard wouldn't be of that much use without some proper speakers, and vice versa.

Drum & Bass Forum
    Thanks

Oh okay, i understood^^
    So you think i dont need a MIDI-keyboard?

Drum & Bass Forum
    Thanks

I got an old audiointerface from my dad today
    It's called 'Speedio' from Novation
    Do you think it's a good interface?

Greets

Drum & Bass Forum
    Thanks

Hey mAex,

Best thing (as others have said) is to get Cubase. It's expensive but a worthy investment. But get 6.5 as this has some nice additional features.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast