DnB Explain please "How to make a drum&bass Roll"

1ZERO1

I don't understand it. Of what parts it consists? And what EQ, effects etc...? Maybe somebody knows a video-tutorial for it. help please. Sorry for my broken English))

they're usually a bit more speedy than trance and house rolls

Honestly, I think people use "roll" to describe the groove of a track - if I was going to call any specific element a roll, it would be the part of a break beat between the two snares. If I was going to call a bassline a roll, it would probably have an LFO on the pitch or filter, or both - and a downward gliss - think "Badass".

Calling DnB rollin is like calling funk funkin - it's when the groove sets in and it just sounds right. You know it's just a two bar loop but you could still listen for 5 minutes.

okay.. But what elements for Drum Roll i need? I know Kick, Snare, Cut kick, Cut snare & Hi-hats. Is it right?? i want to know how each of this elements exposes on piano roll and what kind of processing i must to do for each element? I can't find any tutorial for this unfortunately(

drum and bass is a genre that heavily relies on "break-beats" to giving the rolling feel to the drums, you are probably trying to recreate a feeling that originally is reproduced using the sampled beats

To give a certain flow to ur drums, you can set ur hihats and stuff a little off- beat. (Like in piano roll put it 1/16 or 1/32 to the left or to the right). Also, u can have e nice flow in a drum break with only 3 or 4 elements. Than you have to make sure you have very effective samples. Layer them or eq them in a right way.

There are no rules on how to make a beat, u can use every drum sample, or it even hasn't to be a drum sample.

you mean a snare roll?
put a snare hit on each 16 or 32. start the velovity low and go up to high. ta na ! roll
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroll

id agree its normally between the first snare and the 2nd kick when you get hihat-pedal hihat-hihat-ghost snare bit which is really what gives dnb its trademark chicka-chicka sound

ahh i see he means that bit.

yeah i find that a bit tricky to do. so you got your basic kik n snare (boom tish, boom-tish)
then you add :boom tish titty-boom-tish

its that titty bit innit
:carlton:

Just gonna repeat that it's from breakbeats. Samples of live drummers will give that realism to the drum track. You can program it from single shots if a really clean & tight sound is what you're going for.

Agreed, "chicka chicka"

Back
Top Bottom