Asked to DJ @ a Silent Disco...questions...

Agent Smith

Currently Putins Koala
VIP Junglist
as thread title suggests, been asked to DJ at a student union (i'm not a student so should be interesting) but its a silent disco and I was just wondering about the following.

1. If its a silent disco, there won't be a monitor in the booth for me to reference, so everything mix i do will have to be in my Senny's. Has anyone had experience of this? I tend to listen to my monitors more than my headphones when I know everythings locked its just easier to listen to what everyone else is listening too.

2. Im concerned that if there isnt a master cue on the mixer in the set up this could all be quite tricky. I have a DJM600 at home so flicking between master and the relevant channels in your headphones is quite easy.

3. Has anyone done had any experience mixing vinyl at a silent disco?

sounds missions mate! i reckon just go for it either way man. as for the monitoring it sounds like your only hope is your sennys.question... whats the difference when listening to the master out through your headphones on a djm? is it exaclty the same as just havbing both channels through at once?

yea but you can turn the mix cue knob up or down, so when the master is on you can listen to one channel and have the other channel in your headphones at a lower volume or as high as the other channel in your headphones...don't know if that makes sense tbh...& if its a different mixer to a DJM 600 I may be in trouble, only mixed on a A&H a few times.

Tbh I accepted based on the fact it was for students.
Means I can play a bait set, and even if it is difficult to mix I can just switch it up and play bangers all night long, even though I'd like to double all day long I just don't think it will be necessary.

yea but you can turn the mix cue knob up or down, so when the master is on you can listen to one channel and have the other channel in your headphones at a lower volume or as high as the other channel in your headphones...don't know if that makes sense tbh...& if its a different mixer to a DJM 600 I may be in trouble, only mixed on a A&H a few times.

Means I can play a bait set, and even if it is difficult to mix I can just switch it up and play bangers all night long, even though I'd like to double all day long I just don't think it will be necessary.

cool cool. well good luck pal! i personally cant stand the thought of a silent disco! also having to mix through headphones! but pussay will be rife my friend.. do us proud now!

silent discos are actually really good.
wouldnt want to bemoxing tho, sounds difficult... usually at a silent disco its just them pressing play acting as a jukebox

most setups are djms tho so it shouldnt be too much of a hassle, and youre absolutely right with students and mixing! doesnt really matter as long as you play tunes that keep them entertained!

whats a silent disco tho? no music on just through headphones or something like that??? sounds pretty stupid to me. why do you want to go out if all you do is the exact same thing youre doing on a bus? lol..

whats a silent disco tho? no music on just through headphones or something like that??? sounds pretty stupid to me. why do you want to go out if all you do is the exact same thing youre doing on a bus? lol..

Just basically everyone gets a pair of wireless headphones and you have a choice of 2 channels, whatever the other DJ is playing & me.

I completely agree with you it does sound a bit ridiculous, but I guess its a gimmick to attract all the local students down to a different kind of party to the norm.

Finding out if its a DJM in the setup now...fingers crossed.

cool cool. well good luck pal! i personally cant stand the thought of a silent disco! also having to mix through headphones! but pussay will be rife my friend.. do us proud now!

If you can't mix through headphones start practising now.

Trying to compensate for the delay on systems is impossible.

yeah i agree, learn to mix through headphones only.. its not actually that hard.. just find a nice volume balance between ur cue and your master so you can clearly hear what your doing. be sure when ur in the mix to turn off ur cue and check the master for how the mix is sounding.

also i imagine the master chanel out will be the signal to the corwds wireless headphones so you should still be able to use it normally.

mixing in headphones is not actually that difficult as I may have first thought...
got confirmation its my preferred DJM600 in the set up which is all good.

Cheers for all the thoughts guys.

yeah mixing in headphones isnt hard just will hurt your ears after a while! keep the set nice and easy if i was you!

played this set on Friday...
probably one of the worst sets i've ever played tbh.

the place was absolutely crawling with women though which made it all worthwhile.

if your a drum and bass dj and try to double all day long at a silent disco it isnt easy I can tell you.

Back
Top Bottom