How does a co-lab work??

mistasfx

MISTA SFX
VIP Junglist
everyone has their own way to work but how does it work if they use different kit?

its just coz i hate goin b2b on the decks coz it spoils flow but as for production is it just a case of talking bout what each other wants the tune to sound like n then put it down or what? And especially if the two live miles apart.

I dont think i could do it tbh but would like to try

My experience with colabs, if Im doing one at someone else's studio with their equipment I normally let them drive, basically meaning they control the mouse , especially if I don't know the daw very well. I basically let them work as they normally would except i add different ideas and perspectives to things. I'll jump on if. It's a synth or something but usually leave most of the daw duties to them. If its at my studio then I will usually control the mouse.

If doing through the Internet usually I just exchange project files if we working in the same daw

Excellent question, been wondering myself.

Especially if there is a vast distance between you and your collaborator and you both use different DAWs (say, Logic and Cubase for example). Obviously, bouncing of stems is needed but would they be bounced at their mix level or at close to 0db like remix stems are?

I drop the project or wav files into Dropbox and see what happens. Lol think the main thing is not to get precious or attached over parts. Nothing worse than spending ages doing a part for the other members to say its shit lol

Ive never collabed with anyone apart from a good friend of mine who lives close by, and uses exactly the same DAW and VST's as me, so it's real simple for us both to have the project files and do our own bits on the fly! If I cant get to his, or he cant get to me, then dropbox is the way forward! I'm doubtful about collabing with anyone who doesnt have the same equipment as me, as I feel all the rendering to wav files back and forth would lose momentum with the ideas and flow of the track.

just my input!

Online ones usually go like this; you exchange stems with a few basic ideas then one of you quickly loses interest and is never heard from again.

Basically you share what are called stems of the song. So each channel of the song (or certain groups) will be converted into wav files. SO you might have a stem called vocals, one called bassline, synths etc.

For a remix I believe you just design your own percussion but for a collab probably would share a percussion stem

Bouncing down stems is pretty much what I understand :)

I have kind of just done a collab with myself :lol: And this is what I did.

I was at school and started out on a really cool tune within the DAW Logic. I did lots of work on the sounds (EQ, effects, etc.) so I think I should have really bounced down the parts with my effects and the parts dry. I was short of time though so bounced down all the parts with all the EQ and levels as they were. I got these bounces on a memory stick, took them home and now I have my project ready to play with in Cubase :)

I have had a few problems where the flow is kind of taken away from a pad so I may have to automate volume very precisely to stop clicks or something but it all sounds nice :) I can now work on adding more elements :D

So, T:M, if the person you are working with uses Cubase then it seems ok to bounce at their mix level ;D (Not that it would make a difference whether it was cubase anyways I assume)

woaaah fuck that then.

swappin wavs etc would deffo kill it for me and would prob lose interest.

Id prefer to sit with the person and work together if i was gonna do it but swappin wavs :/

I tried to have a go at the Unicron remix comp but i honestly thought the parts were shit to work with so sacked it off

Back
Top Bottom