setup for Uni?

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
need a little help here, maybe someone who's been in the same position!

going to Uni this september currently got 3 x technics set up at mine with KRK 8's in speaker stands vestax mixer...
A lot of vinyl aswell...

going to be moving into halls as dnt wanna have to be in a house with a load of idiots as i don't really know anyone going as I'm 23 now..

I dnt want to have to give up mixing altogether but dnt think I've got the space in my halls for this set up...

Would it be time to get some CDJ's?

Serato maybe? will be a sad day having to lock away technics in boxes and leaving them at home, but might be too much to have in halls?

Anyone had to make a similar sacrifice?

Even if your space at uni ends up being 85% decks and 15% bed i'd still say its worth it! Maybe sell 1 Technics deck and get a cdj? or serato possibly for a bit of extra money on top?

Don't go to Uni but stayed in my mates hall's the other week in Portsmouth and was just big enough for a set of decks, maybe not 3 Technics though as they are big old things!

true that, I'd need to see the rooms first hand make some measurements to see if 3 would be do-able.. 2 decks and cdj would be tempting tho as I (try to) make my own tracks aswell..

speakers might be a problem though, theyre really long (depth).

might have to get a smaller set of monitors.

I had my 1210s set up in halls, was fine.

Either just go up with em, or go and assess the situation and get em from home if you decide its a good idea.

I agree with the "sacrifice everything to get your decks in there". Maybe sell one of your 1210's if you think 3 won't fit. But definitely don't get shot of em all. Trust me, when you have a hard day of doing nothing, smoking weed and sleeping, the decks are the best thing for relaxation.

I'm in the exact same position but i gotta take my technics up.

anyone know a rough sq metre for a room at halls, or does it vary a lot?

i think it varies a lot, went up to my brothers 2 weeks ago and u could have eaisly fitted a set up, some are alot small/ have less desk space

Take the 1210's but get some smaller cheaper speakers. *'s are too big for halls and more likely to be damaged than tank like 1210's. If you're worried about your mixer get a cheap second hand one. 2 x 1210's + cheap mixer and speakers at uni then full proper set up at home.

had my decks set up in my room at uni, had no desk space for work but it all fit well!

if you wanna squeeze another deck in they there is always a wardrobe knocking about :)

the speakers may cause a problem though... i had shelves above my desk that mine fit on by KRK 8s are pretty hench so dunno if they would fit on a shelf that isnt too deep

probably worth asking for the dimensions of the room etc.

gnna have to try and go up and see the halls... ole measuring tape in hand, im gnna bring 2 technics atleast... maybe get a cdj,... and get some smaller monitors, the 5's instead maybe.

nice one fellas

Take two with you, keep the other at home.

I highly doubt you will spend more than a year in Halls and you will be wanting another when you make some friends up there and move into a gaff.

Or leaving them at home all together is a good shout and getting Serato and a controller, I never stayed in halls as we went straight for a house however, when I ddi visit people who did the noise restrictions were ridiculous. Literally having a cd player on past 12am would get you in shit.

noise restrictions varies massively... it is true tho that some people i know did have issues with noise complainants and such but i was lucky in that no-one gave a fuck how loud i played my music at the weekend and in the week was fine to thump it out till about 12/1!

definatley go a do a rekkie on your room, is the only way you'll know!

but do take them, last year in halls is where i got alot better because of end with sooo much spare time, and inevitably find mates who like mixing and drum and bass too :)

i'm in halls and i've got my decks set up, i'd definitely strongly suggest getting Serato or Traktor to save space and also taking your 8's should be fine tbh :2thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom