Guy is Leaving Commix to go solo...

I probably might get negged but he does sound a bit of a wanker tbh.

I went through a similar thing about the same time. The music barely even resembled what I liked about drum and bass. I stopped listening for a couple years and the Autonomic/minimal stuff got me back into it. Obviously I'm just a fan, but I know where he's coming from.

Really good interview, open and refreshing and pretty insightful.

Whats the point in making music if you arn't enjoying it

I get his point of going in and out, but what don't get is the fact that he doesn't sound proud of his work as Commix. He should be proud not saddened.

So, he split up with his yatty. Had a premature mid-life crisis where everything must be different to what it was before (reminds me of the scene from Aviator when Howard Hughes burnt all his clothes after Katherine Hepburn dumped him) - which resulted into him moving to Germany and making techno.

I think someone needs a hug :grouphug:

Good read tho, even tho I only read the first third, because I don't have the time to listen to techno these days.

I'm really interested to hear if George carries on with Commix tho, I hope he does tbh.

Read the first few, haven't got time to read the rest of that novel atm, looks interesting tho!

In this thread - people without attention spans, lol.

Few thoughts -

As much as I did genuinely like Commix though, I can't say I could ever hear much in the way of real innovation in their actual music; they had a lovely smooth sound all right, and some of their best records are fantastic - I'm thinking about the Subtitles 12", Japanese Electronics, Underwater Scene, Bare Music etc - but for all he's talking about being frustrated with the creative straitjacket of the DnB format I only very rarely heard them make any serious attempt at sounding like they were trying to break out of it. For the first few years they were putting out music on GLO and V and the likes I had them mentally filed away as boring bar-room liquid types who were pretty unlikely to put out anything with any real enduring appeal, and while I was pretty happy when they got better and better as time went on I still never really considered them to be "innovators".

As for getting a dig in about the Headz history sessions etc etc, I'm not sure he realises how anomalous D&B and Dubstep are with regard to their constant fetishisation of the new and forthcoming - dubplate culture, basically. If you go to hear any House DJ worth their salt you're going to hear several hours of records that span a 25 year history and new shit has to be fucking incredible to be considered worth playing. I don't think that having nights where a certain aesthetic that is privileged over the idea of everything having to be new is necessarily a sign that ideas are running out of steam or that there's nothing left to do.

Fair play to him for really making his mark in Techno though - the Shifted / Buried In Sand stuff is all really, really good.

Last edited:
I'm not sure he realises how anomalous D&B and Dubstep are with regard to their constant fetishisation of the new and forthcoming - dubplate culture, basically.

totally agree with this sentence even though I have no idea what it means. it just looks good.

Commix had a few spanking tunes, Be True gave me dat goosebumps first time I heard it. A lot of their stuff I just found pretty average though. saying Call To Mind is "one of the better drum & bass albums ever" is a bit much

not into techno either so I doubt I'll be checking his newer stuff

In this thread - people without attention spans, lol.

Few thoughts -

As much as I did genuinely like Commix though, I can't say I could ever hear much in the way of real innovation in their actual music; they had a lovely smooth sound all right, and some of their best records are fantastic - I'm thinking about the Subtitles 12", Japanese Electronics, Underwater Scene, Bare Music etc - but for all he's talking about being frustrated with the creative straitjacket of the DnB format I only very rarely heard them make any serious attempt at sounding like they were trying to break out of it. For the first few years they were putting out music on GLO and V and the likes I had them mentally filed away as boring bar-room liquid types who were pretty unlikely to put out anything with any real enduring appeal, and while I was pretty happy when they got better and better as time went on I still never really considered them to be "innovators".

As for getting a dig in about the Headz history sessions etc etc, I'm not sure he realises how anomalous D&B and Dubstep are with regard to their constant fetishisation of the new and forthcoming - dubplate culture, basically. If you go to hear any House DJ worth their salt you're going to hear several hours of records that span a 25 year history and new shit has to be fucking incredible to be considered worth playing. I don't think that having nights where a certain aesthetic that is privileged over the idea of everything having to be new is necessarily a sign that ideas are running out of steam or that there's nothing left to do.

Fair play to him for really making his mark in Techno though - the Shifted / Buried In Sand stuff is all really, really good.

I don't agree with you too often as we clearly have a bit of a different taste, but this is actually spot on :)

Don't really buy a lot of techno myself, although it's been increasing steadily over the past few years. Still have to tip my hat to him the Shifted stuff really is quality IMO, not sure if you realise just how big a deal it is to be putting out albums on Mote Evolver and the likes, this tune here is pretty much exactly my taste in techno, really subtle, driving, pounding deep stripped back dancefloor body music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra8_z7t0MpQ

Just checked some of his 'Shifted' stuff.. clearly not into this kind of music at all for now. More interested in the 'Endian' stuff!

The Endian stuff is really nice, but the Shifted stuff for me is in a completely different category, and there's loads and loads of it, it's pretty crazy how prolific he's been.

Back
Top Bottom