On your average tune how many different tracks do you have?

With this new project i've been doing we've been on 70-100 tracks standard but we are almost always duplicating every bass sound and tweaking it to give it some movement whilst staying true to the original sound. This adds up quick!! Plus drums are usually around 20-30 tracks.

By that logic i only have 1 tracks.

not really cos i could have 20 combinators.....so 20 tracks, but each combinator cold hold 20 tracks also...couild never make a one track tune....impossible.....smart arse lol

Some pretty interesting insights into how people work, I am kinda amazed that some people use so many tracks i personal hate having loads of tracks and having the session look messy. I think if i was going to have one session with so many tracks i would want to use pro tools for the group editing and being able to customise the arrange window.

For those who are using 60+ tracks what Daws are you using and how you go about keeping it neat and tidy.

I am surprised no one else uses the same workflow that i tend to go for which is using separate sessions for Drums, Bass and FX. I then create one 'arrange' sessions which i bring everything into and maybe layer and add a few bits and bobs here and there. I find this best for me as i can keep it nice and tidy and also use some of the more CPU hungry plugins. Admittedly it can be kind of annoying going back into other sessions to make minor changes.

I tend to make most of my stuff in logic 9 with each session have roughly 10 - 20 channels.

Some pretty interesting insights into how people work, I am kinda amazed that some people use so many tracks i personal hate having loads of tracks and having the session look messy. I think if i was going to have one session with so many tracks i would want to use pro tools for the group editing and being able to customise the arrange window.

For those who are using 60+ tracks what Daws are you using and how you go about keeping it neat and tidy.

I am surprised no one else uses the same workflow that i tend to go for which is using separate sessions for Drums, Bass and FX. I then create one 'arrange' sessions which i bring everything into and maybe layer and add a few bits and bobs here and there. I find this best for me as i can keep it nice and tidy and also use some of the more CPU hungry plugins. Admittedly it can be kind of annoying going back into other sessions to make minor changes.

I tend to make most of my stuff in logic 9 with each session have roughly 10 - 20 channels.
Well shit, I can have one track folded over into it's self ten or plus times. Also I can have one track with a light whoosh… being used just once. For me, the key is to use phonetic words to describe the noise and racks in reason.
For example, the first rack I have is drum rack. I have one to four snares that lead into one mixer that leads into another mixer with a a channel called snare. The second mixer contains all the basic forms of my drum patch, such as bass drum, snare, hats, chrash, break, but all of these elements are pre mixed before they ever go to the main drum mix, which in turn gets premixed with the bass and then remixed in the master mixer.
All of this procedure reminds me of why some artist say that less is more.

Well shit, I can have one track folded over into it's self ten or plus times. Also I can have one track with a light whoosh… being used just once. For me, the key is to use phonetic words to describe the noise and racks in reason.

Sorry i don't quite understand what you mean by folder over into its self, could you explain that a bit more please?

Love the idea of phonetic words i tend to just name thing generically like hat 1, hat 2 and so on and this can get kind of confusing will def change that.

The drums in your sig are awesome mate, really cut through the mix.

Is it not just a question of how fussy you are about neatness?
Whenever I want to apply FX for just 1 bar, I bounce, bring the render out to a new track, apply FX, bounce again, then delete the original and replace it with the FX version, then delete the FX track.
Only trouble is, then I decide I don't think the FX are good and have to go back... which sucks.
I made a minimal house track with a lead that slowly changed over time, minilogue style: automation envelope tracks were a nightmare, I had about 15 of them and they took up so much room. That's what you get for using REAPER, I guess.

I usually run about 100-120 channels per track, neatly put together using cubase's folders :).

With a finished track usually between 80-100 ish.

Pretty sure June Miller uploaded a pic once where they ran out of Logic channels. 235 i think it was. yeahhhhhhh.

It's best not to think about this sort of thing. It depends on your style. My music tends to be very stripped back and I've worried about it being too simple at times but it just doesn't sound the same with tons of effects all firing at the same time.

Sometimes simple is best, sometimes not.

I remember watching a TV show about pop music and Britney Spears - Toxic only had 7 tracks TOTAL! Tunes a banger too!

It's best not to think about this sort of thing. It depends on your style. My music tends to be very stripped back and I've worried about it being too simple at times but it just doesn't sound the same with tons of effects all firing at the same time.

Sometimes simple is best, sometimes not.

Yep as long as the number of tracks you use isn't hindering your workflow then it's all good, it's only recently that I started labeling tracks properly and it really does help.

I try and make a load of drum hits before I make a tune. That way it saves a bit of space. I try and do as much as I can in terms of sound design before I start a tune as one pad sound can consist of multiple layers, which may result in 10 channels being used for just one sound. It saves CPU too.

hmm difficult to say, but I think at least 40-50 to start off, and three or four times that if things get interesting, percussion can take upto 20, and mid range bass wobbles 20 or more too, coz I tend to layer up many many times, rather than endlessly resampling

Back
Top Bottom