Korg microKORG Synth

lostnthesound

Burns Easily in the Sun
VIP Junglist
Went by a shop during lunch and took the MicroKORG on a 20 minute test drive...quite a sexy little beast. I'm currently contemplating selling off my Novation SL 25 and replacing it with the MicroKorg since it can double as a standalone MIDI keyboard in addition to having its own onboard goodies.

Of course the salesman at the shop was shilling the fuck out of the product which does me no good. Does anyone on the forum current have (or had) this little beast, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Cheers.

I did the same thing a while ago but got an Akai MiniAK, which is kind of the same thing. Ended up selling it as hardware synths are a nightmare to program and it's just so much easier to use soft synths.

It was a waste of money.

Of course, if you like the idea of having hardware and you want to use it live or something, then go for it.

I had the same thought about the microKORG last year as my novation SL 25 broke...
I ended up buying a KORG R3. Its good to piss around with and it can produce some really thick creamy pads etc. Really nice synth. But tbh 70% of the time it just gets used as a midi controller.
It looks great on my desk + its capabilities as a synth is ok. But upon reflection I dont think id buy another hardware synth unless it was a virus ti.

I guess you have just got to think if you will use it or not, or if its just a bit of a novelty. My R3 is a bit of a novelty, an expensive one at that.

I did the same thing a while ago but got an Akai MiniAK, which is kind of the same thing. Ended up selling it as hardware synths are a nightmare to program and it's just so much easier to use soft synths.

It was a waste of money.

Of course, if you like the idea of having hardware and you want to use it live or something, then go for it.

I had the same thought about the microKORG last year as my novation SL 25 broke...
I ended up buying a KORG R3. Its good to piss around with and it can produce some really thick creamy pads etc. Really nice synth. But tbh 70% of the time it just gets used as a midi controller.
It looks great on my desk + its capabilities as a synth is ok. But upon reflection I dont think id buy another hardware synth unless it was a virus ti.

I guess you have just got to think if you will use it or not, or if its just a bit of a novelty. My R3 is a bit of a novelty, an expensive one at that.

Thanks to both of you! I had actually been going back and forth on the decision. Salvus' perspective is what I think would happen to me–end up using it as a midi more than a hardware synth. I guess if I ever decide to go after some hardware I'll settle for a desktop box like Dave Smith's MoPho.

Cheers!

I've had a MoPho, and I didn't like the sound of it at all, it just sounds flat and doesn't fit in with anything to me. I've also hade a Microkorg, but the thing was a pain in the ass to program, so didn't get much use. I quite fancy a Miniak, which is the same as a Xiosynth but in a different case, but check out youtube and no one seems to do anything great with it. The M Audio Venom is worth a look, they can go for sensible money second hand and sound great.

I personally like to mix up hardware with soft synths, but that could just be me showing my age.

the microkorg is good but i find it quite plasticcy and set to the presets. difficult to edit. there is an editor for the computer which is a plus but the novation is probably better, which one is it you have?

the microkorg is good but i find it quite plasticcy and set to the presets. difficult to edit. there is an editor for the computer which is a plus but the novation is probably better, which one is it you have?

Thanks for the words of wisdom logikz. I actually was a bit turned off by the plastic-ness of it as well.

I have the Novation 25 SL. It's a great MIDI and has aftertouch and all that shit. The Automap is fantastic...when it works. But I can't complain too much as I'm Beta testing the newest version (Automap 4) for Novation.

So it seems like the consensus to purchasing hardware synths is "you get what you pay for." Looks like it's time to start cleaning under the cushions of the couch to save for a Virus Ti Snow....A man can dream.

Back
Top Bottom