Traktor calibration

hazdaman100

Bum 'n Face
VIP Junglist
Aiight chaps, absolute DVS noob here, set up all the hardware to what I think is correct, checked audio output an input prefrances, fiddled about with the time code settings and still cant get it fired up. Think it's due to the calibration not being correct. Have no personnel exp with traktor but looks like the calibration should be orange with two circles, mine however is white, and has the status of waiting. Also it keeps redlining my mixer!! Anyone got any advice. Checked in all the obvious places...

is it making any sound whatsoever when playing?

obvious one i know but is the mixer on line? also serato has little switches on the box that you have to set to vinyl, does traktor have those?

is it making any sound whatsoever when playing?

obvious one i know but is the mixer on line? also serato has little switches on the box that you have to set to vinyl, does traktor have those?

its making a beeping high pitch noise, coming through the speakers a bit, did manage to get it to play, very distorted through the mixer, but no control through the timecode vinyl.
yeah mixer set to line.
as far as i can see, according to the instructions, the program should set up the calibration ect for you.....

You dont have it set to THRU do you?

If so it means it'll just play the timecode signal it reads off the vinyl (its used for quickly switching from timecodes to real vinyl.)

You dont have it set to THRU do you?

If so it means it'll just play the timecode signal it reads off the vinyl (its used for quickly switching from timecodes to real vinyl.)

Nah afraid not, changed it... Don't reckon it's a laptop issue do ya?

take the needles off, put them back on. restart traktor.

with serato needles are often the source of the problem, could be the same with traktor

take the needles off, put them back on. restart traktor.

with serato needles are often the source of the problem, could be the same with traktor

Tried!!! Still nothing! Wondering why it is red lining each channel, surely that is not ment to be

Last edited:
Sounds like you have your soundcard setup to the wrong input type. What DVS meduim are you using?

The NI soundcard control panel is separate to traktor. Look in your native instruments folder from the start menu (assuming you use windows). In there you can configure the soundcard to accept timecode from a line or phono. As youre probably already well aware, line is from CDJ's, phono is from vinyl.

Try again and see what it does!

As far as the distortion goes, hows your CPU load in traktors main window? If its maxed out it could be one of many things.

The loudness/redlining is due to your master volume output which is at the top-middle of your traktor window. I recommend turning it down to -6. If you peak the levels before it even leaves traktor you are destroying the audio signal at the very first step!

Sounds like you have your soundcard setup to the wrong input type. What DVS meduim are you using?The NI soundcard control panel is separate to traktor. Look in your native instruments folder from the start menu (assuming you use windows). In there you can configure the soundcard to accept timecode from a line or phono. As youre probably already well aware, line is from CDJ's, phono is from vinyl.

Try again and see what it does!

As far as the distortion goes, hows your CPU load in traktors main window? If its maxed out it could be one of many things.

The loudness/redlining is due to your master volume output which is at the top-middle of your traktor window. I recommend turning it down to -6. If you peak the levels before it even leaves traktor you are destroying the audio signal at the very first step!

Cheers, im using scratch pro 2 with the audio 10 interface, maybe I should tinker with the soundcard panel then if you suggest although on the actual interface phono is illuminated... but when coming to calibrate the vinyl wouldnt there be no movement from the calibration panel? In my case it is a white single circle, not an orange one..which is making me think.....
Totally agree witht the distortion though, will sort that out.
will try now and let you know.
ta

In my case it is a white single circle, not an orange one..which is making me think.....

A circle is good! Better than the static you talked about before. Im guessing the calibration panel is still stating 'unknown medium'?
Sounds like you have the soundcard setup correctly too, I'd still have a butchers at it though.

If you could take some screenshots of the calibration, your input and deck preferences perhaps I could help more. Im shooting in the dark atm . .

A circle is good! Better than the static you talked about before. Im guessing the calibration panel is still stating 'unknown medium'?
Sounds like you have the soundcard setup correctly too, I'd still have a butchers at it though.

If you could take some screenshots of the calibration, your input and deck preferences perhaps I could help more. Im shooting in the dark atm . .

Nice one bro, after a bit of tinkering, I have managed to get the calibration to be more responsive, seem to get the tunes to play a bit better, but there still is this gay buzzing through the speakers, its not from the vinyl, but from the actual output it seems. Also seems like the pitch of the tunes bends during playback.
Seems one problem solved, another one gained!

That could be the midi latency of your hardware . . . Do you know what your midi latency is? It'll tell you in your preferences.

Nice one bro, after a bit of tinkering, I have managed to get the calibration to be more responsive, seem to get the tunes to play a bit better, but there still is this gay buzzing through the speakers, its not from the vinyl, but from the actual output it seems. Also seems like the pitch of the tunes bends during playback.
Seems one problem solved, another one gained!

Willing to bet its to do with your computer. Is your soundcard plugged into a usb hub or straight into the pc? Also are you using a laptop? Disable wireless/bluetooth etc and unplug it from the mains and see if it continues.

I get some weird fuzzy sound but thats because of my pc's power supply.

Get this little program on your pc: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Follow the instructions and let me know the result. Red = bad! As mentioned before, try turning off wifi if you get spikes of red on the graph. I also found removing the battery of my lappy helped, but I really do have a shit laptop. lol.

Whats the spec of your machine?

Get this little program on your pc: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Follow the instructions and let me know the result. Red = bad! As mentioned before, try turning off wifi if you get spikes of red on the graph. I also found removing the battery of my lappy helped, but I really do have a shit laptop. lol.

Whats the spec of your machine?

Cheers howzat looks like my machine should be ok
spec is
2gb ram
vista 32bit
intel core duo 1.67

Proper confused tho now, was over a mates, and we managed to get the system pretty much working perfectly.
Get back to mine, set-up and get the same problem again, just get the same issue with the calibration......
So if it worked elsewhere, it can be anything to do with the pc or the interface, or with the setup with the software
im still thinking calibration....check below ;

IMG_0095.JPG

Can get the music playing in the headphones sounding nice if i play it on the through the software but no control via the timecode vinyl what so ever!

Last edited:
Looks like you got weak right or left sides on your rca's or needles. If you have one circle and one line running like that it generally means one side is working and one side has a weak channel. Try out a buddy's pair of needles on there and see if it works. Or maybe you just gotta lick the back of the needles. I have to do it at shows all the time. Traktor seems to need a stronger signal than other programs. If the records play properly forwards but not when you pull them backwards then that is definitely your problem.

Also, I'm not trying to sound like a dick but make absolutely sure you have the correct wires running into the correct ports on the sound card. I've fucked that up before lol

Looks like you got weak right or left sides on your rca's or needles. If you have one circle and one line running like that it generally means one side is working and one side has a weak channel. Try out a buddy's pair of needles on there and see if it works. Or maybe you just gotta lick the back of the needles. I have to do it at shows all the time. Traktor seems to need a stronger signal than other programs. If the records play properly forwards but not when you pull them backwards then that is definitely your problem.

Also, I'm not trying to sound like a dick but make absolutely sure you have the correct wires running into the correct ports on the sound card. I've fucked that up before lol

Yeah I'm sure about the leads, tried cleaning the contacts ect... Literally nothing, not working on either deck! I'm using 3rd party cheap ortofon stylus at the mo, surely that is not the issue?!?

The circle with the line running through it is a sign of timecode mark 2, the original timecode mark 1 was just a circle.

The circle on your image is pretty fuzzy though. It looks like its probably down to your needles tbh, maybe the tonearm contacts. Give them a good clean, try again . .

When you say you got it working perfectly at a mates, was this with all your hardware apart from the turntables & mixer?

Back
Top Bottom