The return of Spor?

It doesn't take experience as a producer to see when somebody's personal grudges are blinding them from the bigger picture.

Plenty of output around driven by passion rather than profit, hardly fair to criticise the scene as a whole for the actions of a few label bosses.

You can't expect someone to work and not get paid.

He's also not the first artist to criticise the scene for the those reasons.

DNB heads think artists owe them something just because they listen to and buy their music

It doesn't take experience as a producer to see when somebody's personal grudges are blinding them from the bigger picture.

Plenty of output around driven by passion rather than profit, hardly fair to criticise the scene as a whole for the actions of a few label bosses.

Sorry what? how can you know anything about the bigger picture? how can any of us for that matter when NONE of us have even dealt with what he's probably been thru in the scene.

You lot just see a DJ in booth, an exclusive on Beatport, names on fancy flyers; none of the colossal amounts of shit that goes on behind the scene from a day to day basis. It's not all rock & roll, it's people livelihoods.

You lot and everyone thanking your post are imo, ignorant fools who know nothing about the subject. I doubt he'd post all that publicly unless he really felt down and out about it.

I hope some of you cunts take that on board and appreciate the fact he makes incredible fucking music and is more than entitled to have a fucking whinge like all of us!

giphy.gif

Really excited to hear the new material, but it seems that people think this is his big DnB come back. I'm not so sure on that.

Reading those recent tweets gave me the impression that he has been done with DnB and the scene for sometime now, but he is just fulfilling his promise to his old fans with this long awaited album. It seems kind of fitting if he was to bow out on Spor with the album.

I think its very unlikely that he will return to DnB full time, if at all now. His Feed Me project has been really successful and he obviously felt restricted working at the same tempo all the time. It seems as though he tried testing the waters a bit with Pacifica/Ziggurat/Push Me Pull You to not a very good response. His fans just wanted the same old neuro bangers.

Last edited:
See Vicious Circle if you don't believe Scotty...

Lets just all take a step back breathe...

And the rest...

Too many artists have moved on from the DNB scene because labels don't pay them their due, or because 'fans' whine whenever they veer away from DNB for a couple of tracks.

IMO more artists need to do this in the scene. It would give up and coming artists a chance to see which labels to avoid etc... Fans could also step in and boycott their labels until they get their act together.

Last edited:
Okay, I didn't want to join the discussion but since Russ basically adressed me (among others), let me share the same thing I've said about the subject on facebook.

None of us will find out how it truly went down. I respect people who stand up for themselves, for what they believe in. I wouldn't say a word had he actually said something like that back then. The way I see it now though, he just blatantly uses a statement like that to add to the hype around him, to spark a discussion (see this one). I'm not saying those things he said aren't happening neither do I think it's not good talking about that, but if he had a problem with the scene, he should've come clear years ago. If you remember the things he said back then, it was a bit different story about being fed up with drum & bass in general, with fans asking him about his new Spor stuff and a desire to set himself free as an artist (i.e. go and try other electronic music genres). Or if he just said "listen guys, okay, now I'm gonna try EDM because that's where some money actually is and I feel like I wanna try it" - that's why I don't hate on all DJs Freshes, Pendulums, Chases & Statuses of the world, because it's their career and if that's something they want to do, fair play to them. Instead, he comes with a heartbreaking statement that he never cared for EDM at all (lol), just wanted to escape all the wrong in the drum & bass. Comes across pretty much the same as when Rob Swire said last year that screechy dubstep/EDM is terrible shit and had he know back then they are helping to create/form it, he wouldn't have done it. Bull-fucking-shit. It's of course possible that Jon didn't want to talk about it back then and over the years it occupied his mind until he finally shared it with the public. Either way, it just come across as a cheap publicity stunt, sorry.

I just love those rants how something sucks (everything does) and how bad someone's doing (everybody does). If those people actually did something about it instead of crying out loud, leaving the scene etc., we might be able to change it for the better. But I guess it's too much to ask for, because actually doing shit is so much harder than talking shit on social networks.

When it comes to production, Mr Gooch is a genius. I listen to some of his Feed Me stuff and I like it, which can not be said for a lot of the the artists that chose to move to other genres. I couldn't give a fuck about the reasons why he chose to explore other avenues, that is his issue. All I know is that I can't wait to listen to what he has up his sleeve. It's good to have such a talented producer back in our scene, don't moan about it!

PS love ya FG x

Fans could also step in and boycott their labels until they get their act together.

That's an interesting stance, I cant imagine that ever happening but boy would it shake things up if it did!

#indivision
[MENTION=88478]poopstep[/MENTION]

Back
Top Bottom