What single little/big thing has helped your production progress the most

Arfeds

Thought it would be interesting to see what everyone comes up with

for me it was high rankin's bass video below it sorta made me realise how accessible these kinda sounds are and opened my mind quite allot

please everybody share anything be it books a piece of hardware a video a blog anything I expect everyone and myself would love to know

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the single best thing that has helped me to date would have to be learning synthesis. I know it sounds crazy, but like most, when I 1st started out I used presets in my VST's, or tweaked presets to my liking. But after a while I got bored and spent a long time reading up on, and watching tutorials of basic synthesis, what are oscillators and how do they work, ADSR envelopes etc etc. Nothing beats making your own sounds, and being able to translate the sounds from your head, into your track!

Im still kinda feeling around in the dark when it comes to making sound but i understand what filters do what, what envelopes do what, how to get what movement in the bass etc etc

Im not at a standard where i can think of a sound n put it on screen

Doing evening classes in music production helped me big time. I tried learning myself a few times but could never get anywhere with it.

Top 5
  1. The importance of submixing.
  2. Surgical EQing.
  3. Waveform shapes and their relationship to synthesis
  4. The importance of gain structure.
  5. Positioning instruments in the sonic field to prevent frequency clashing.

Initially....Really getting to know one synth (albino), alongside reading up on synthesis like Fletch said.

Now, re-sampling/processing (when I get time, I hear ya Elmaruk)

Seeing the Icicle master class changed my whole perspective on things. Then, I went back and really listened to my favorite producers...

gunna sound like a fag, but my girlfriend man, she inspired me, I used to read for hours and hours about synthesis, mixdown techniques, compression etc etc. Had all the knowledge but no imagination. We got together and 2 weeks later i'd written a track for her, which got some pretty good feedback considering it was the first tune I ever finished.

Top 5
  1. The importance of submixing.
  2. Surgical EQing.
  3. Waveform shapes and their relationship to synthesis
  4. The importance of gain structure.
  5. Positioning instruments in the sonic field to prevent frequency clashing.
  6. Listening to classical music like J.S. Bach

;)

the new minimal style. figuring out i cant be a better optical than optical but he cant be a better karl than me neither. as in my own style is what i have to get good at, thats what its gonna have to be about. my emu sampler, so many classic dnb how-the-fuck sounds at the press of a button. a tutorial on compression from doa that explained transient shaping. other than that im still in the dark about most things.

unemployment for 3 months earlier this year and a big bag o bud :coffee:

also giving up on software synths and getting a emu sampler plus some vintage synths helped big time in achieving the workflow and sound i want

great idea for a thread this btw mate :D glad to see someone using internet properly

...not like "Compression is over rated" dumb ass threads..

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

Also my contribution to the thread would be downloading the NI massive manual in PDF, explains everything properly

Back
Top Bottom