Need Advice on audio interfaces

Sinn-R

Hi,
I have a few questions:
1) Is it really necessary to have an audio interface
2) What is a good audio interface that's not too expensive
3) I don't suppose my audio 6 will do, or will it?
cheers

uhh my advice, if your serious about production and can see yourself really getting into, plus wanna get the best out your speakers then, buy one :P

i'm using the mackie onyx 820i

i used an m-audio one, around £100 for my first interface, it was ok and did the job.

although i like the 820 as it acts as a mixer as well as a interface.

happy huntingggg

im a newbie to production, but learning, i bought a audio interface, for my monitors and its definitely been a good buy. Got a roland cakewalk ua-25ex and seems good enough for a home set up, tho seen alot of good comments about the focusrite sapphire 6, both around 150 pounds

I've just got myself a new interface, a focusrite saffire pro 14. It's a nice bit of kit and not all that expensive. EZ to set up and has decent sound and build quality.

Sorry if this is a really silly question. I have been producing a while now, under a year still though! But, what does an audio interface do and how would I benefit from one?

Sorry to intrude Sinn-R but I thought I may as well ask in this topic rather than create a whole new one!

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

Sorry if this is a really silly question. I have been producing a while now, under a year still though! But, what does an audio interface do and how would I benefit from one?

Sorry to intrude Sinn-R but I thought I may as well ask in this topic rather than create a whole new one!

parsons,

your sound card in your pc is essentially an audio interface. the majority would say that if your recording an interface is essential but for us, computer musicians we use it to lower latency, so our systems run faster and output the sound better. i'd also say it's made my sound quality better. though only slightly.

it'll allow to hook up monitors via xlr, which as far as i know, you can't stick an xlr in the back of a pc, yet.

but yeah, unlike a sound card, an interface will be dedicated to giving us a latency free studio session, those kind buggers.

Last edited:
Ahh, so, technically my audio interface right now is asio4all :lol: if I were to purchase a proper interface it would take some strain of the cpu? :D

I really need to get a job! I have an external hard drive and monitors on my list already!

aye, rather than the little thing in devices being ASIO it'll be for example "Onyx 820i" or M-Audio ect". It'll reduce latency, allow a better buffer and high sample rates thus for high quality.

they're worth the money and a focusrite saffire will do you if your your not too fussed about recording. If you are, I'd rate the mackie 820i, but simply because i;ve owned one, im sure theres many just as good if not better for the same price.

To add, if you have a Mac, look into Apogee. The price of admission is steep, but you'll not be disappointed. I love my Duet 2 like a fat kid loves cake...or like celebrity couples love short marriages.

Hi,
I have a few questions:
1) Is it really necessary to have an audio interface
2) What is a good audio interface that's not too expensive
3) I don't suppose my audio 6 will do, or will it?
cheers

If its the Native Instruments Audio 6 interface that your referring to, then that would be more than fine.

Back
Top Bottom