Serato vs Traktor

Alright, think I might be going for the Traktor Audio 6 and then getting the traktor scratch duo 2 software, thanks for the help!

Last edited:
So what exactly is the difference between
Traktor Scratch PRO 2 DVS System
and
SL 2 :: Serato Scratch Live 2 - 24-Bit DJ System
From what I see they are both designed for 2 deck setups, however the Tracktor is the more costly, dispite a few of you saying that Traktor still works out the more affordable. Is this due to additional equiptment costing less for tracktor compatable expansions?

Serato
Just hooked it up all working great
However the Control signal noise is audible from my cartridge!
It's pretty annoying!
Anyone know what I mean and how to make it fuck off?

edit...
just read there isn't much you can do about it except turn the volume up until your ears forget about it.
well thats not really good enough for me.

early days of using it and although its great to be able to play tracks i haven't got on vinyl I'm not overly impressed so far

Last edited:
Serato
It's pretty annoying!

edit...
just read there isn't much you can do about it except turn the volume up until your ears forget about it.

early days of using it and although its great to be able to play tracks i haven't got on vinyl I'm not overly impressed so far

Pretty much all of this, I know what you mean about the timecode signal noise, but you do get used to it and forget its even there.
I went from using a Traktor S4 to Technics and Serato, and I'm still not completely sold on if i should have just stuck with a Traktor DVS system.
I honestly think i went the Serato route for the "cool" factor i think that it has and so nobody could ever say those horrid words "yeah but you probably synced it using Traktor"
There was just something about Traktor i like it fitted my work flow, but then that could be the fact the S4 was designed to mirror everything on the screen, i do not regret getting rid of it though for my Technics for one second, I'm just not sure Serato was the right route for me.
Only time will tell.

You're also going to notice the stark differences between vinyl and mp3's lol...

I wasn't overly impressed to start off with but I can play so many tunes with it and if you have a yearning to play other styles of electronic music it really comes into it's own.

Pm'd.

Serato
It's pretty annoying!

edit...

have you taken the needles off, cleaned the contact with the tone arm end and put them back on?
that eliminates some of the noise, mine don't make much at all which is good, i don't even notice.

thanks man. will try that.
the right deck's noise is louder than the left so hopefully that will minimise it a bit.
had to have them on 33 coz 45 makes the noise even more high pitched.

starting to enjoy it now, but as long time vinyl purist i feel like a petrol head whos just brought an electric scooter. kind of dissapointed with myself.

had a sound test and i have to say vinyl wins

played a 320 and the plate i got cut from the very same 320 and vinyl sounded bigger in the bass dept.. everything else was on par.

played a 320 i got with the vinyl from surus store, the vinyl won again but only in the bass dept. its barley noticeable tbh but there is somthing i can quite explain the vinyl has.
this is just at home.. i imagine in a louder enviroment the difference is magnified.

rough with the smooth.

when i've played on bigger rigs with traktor i would say it sounds better than on my home system, though i know what you mean about vinyl, there's just something special about it... just the difference between digital/analogue.

The home user will never notice the difference between a good 320 and a vinyl (with are pressed from a wav) and of course if you use wav then there is no possible difference except in theory a cleaner signal chain through digital, alctually meaning dvs are better quality than vinyl when wavs are used. The warm feel people talk of is barely more than placebo, i do understand the feel of vinyl, however if you check the noise specrum of a vinyl table v a wav there is nothing present in the specrum to suddgest there is any additives or sonic difference.

Just a little fact for you all as im a bit of a audiophile...

as am i

what you have said is statistically true, however
with vinyl media, the playback mechanism introduces a mild harmonic distortion. which is some what pleasing to the ear, this is what is commonly described as "warmth"

not really a placebo imo

Recently was making the same choice, I choose Serato SL2 in the end.

The choice wasnt as easy as I thought though, as I looked into Traktor I found myself drawing towards that. Traktor is cheaper has more functions, can do alot more with the tracks and all sorts. What I concluded was that I wouldnt use half the features anyways, Ive used and enjoyed playing on Serato and the filing system is apparently much better.

Ive had Serato for nearly two months now, have enjoyed using it greatly. Still getting used to it and finding out new things as I go along. I think I havnt got it set up as best as it can be, needs a few tweeks with the settings I think.

The choice ultmately comes down I guess budget and which one suits your needs best.

AJ - did you manage to get rid of this high pitched noise you were saying about?

have the money for Serato...its just taking the plunge.
I can see the plus points don't get me wrong, just don't want to be disappointed with all the money I could potentially spend.

Does having every tune you couldn't have on vinyl make up for the bad points of Serato?

not yet mate, i'll let you know if i can make it any better.

the noise is only what the stylus makes, you know if you play a record with ur speakers off and u can slightly hear the track coming out the cartridge? its just that but the control record makes a constant meeeeeeeeeeep noise. where my turntables are quite high up in the air, its closer to my ears and i can hear it when i havent got the volume on very loud.
plus i have hearing like a dog and high pitch noises piss me off.

Does having every tune you couldn't have on vinyl make up for the bad points of Serato? OH YES!

It's pretty annoying!

Yeah, it is pretty annoying! Its to do with the frequency band they use for the control vinyl. Just as you hear the hihats on a normal vinyl, the control signal is at a high frequency band.

NI have recently stopped using the old timecode tech they licensed off some company and have built their own, so they make more money I guess.
A nice side effect of this is theyve changed the timecode frequency, making 'Timecode Mk2' a fair bit quieter and supposedly more accurate. Ive got some on the way, so I'll report back on the differences if youre interested.

What I really want though is some of that sexy patterned vinyl that comes out for serato. NI have stuck with solid colours, I want something more intersting!

Ive been waiting sooo long to play alot of stuff I brought/been sent/downloaded freely, its great being able to play these tunes. Makes any gripes you may have with Serato worth it imo.

buying digital tunes is actually gash

beatport, juno download, breakbeat, track it down? these are all shit websites

why is there no quality control? literally 95% of the stuff for sale I've never heard of.
seems anyone can sell their music online no matter how poor it is. after giving some of these unknowns the benefit of the doubt and actually listening to their tunes, i don't think i'll be doing so in future. so much poor music for sale. must be tough to gain recognition if your a new producer trying to sell digitally.

better of checking the new vinyl for sale then checking if its available in digital.

buying vinyl and waiting for it to come in the mail = a great feeling .. rushing home to play it for the first time = so much win
sifting through hundreds of digital tunes to find only 1 u actually want = rather depressing .. getting the track a few mins after you've paid for it = win .. playing it for the first time ... not as great.

AJ - did you manage to get rid of this high pitched noise you were saying about?

have the money for Serato...its just taking the plunge.
I can see the plus points don't get me wrong, just don't want to be disappointed with all the money I could potentially spend.

Does having every tune you couldn't have on vinyl make up for the bad points of Serato?

If your worried about it being for you, just get it on finance from dj finance, if its not for you, sell it and pay off the rest of the finance and get traktor =P

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

buying digital tunes is actually gash

beatport, juno download, breakbeat, track it down? these are all shit websites

why is there no quality control? literally 95% of the stuff for sale I've never heard of.
seems anyone can sell their music online no matter how poor it is. after giving some of these unknowns the benefit of the doubt and actually listening to their tunes, i don't think i'll be doing so in future. so much poor music for sale. must be tough to gain recognition if your a new producer trying to sell digitally.

better of checking the new vinyl for sale then checking if its available in digital.

buying vinyl and waiting for it to come in the mail = a great feeling .. rushing home to play it for the first time = so much win
sifting through hundreds of digital tunes to find only 1 u actually want = rather depressing .. getting the track a few mins after you've paid for it = win .. playing it for the first time ... not as great.

Yeah, thats what i most miss since i got my dvs. I really miss sifting through my flight case, and sifting through loads of vinyl down my local store. Finding a gem. Or finding one youve never played before but it turns out to be that tune youve been wanting to know the name of for months lol.

Getting tunes in the mail to your workplace then taking them home is the best though haha. The amount of times ive worked through my lunch hour to go home an hour early haha.

Back
Top Bottom