Skwiffer - New Year Mix 2012

skwiffer

VIP Junglist
Happy New Year everyone! I recorded this last night. Any feedback's always welcome. Any tips even more so. Thanks to anyone who listens :)

D Minds - Rotation - Blackout Music
Basher & Xtrah - Hubble - Subtitles
Foreign Concept - Possession - Shogun LTD
S.I.N. & Mutated Forms - Right Now - Spearhead Records
Mute & Mako - Rorschach - Ingredients
Enei - Slow Motion - Deepkut
Jubei - Patience feat. dBridge (VIP) - Metalheadz
Afrojack & Steve Aoki Ft Miss Palmer - No Beef (Nu Tone Remix (instrumental) - 3beat
Logistics - Closer - Hospital
Enei & DRS - Obsession - Critical
Judda & Trei - 6th Element - Alignment
Mikal & Break - Just A Game - Metalheadz
Amoss - Flex - Renegade
S.P.Y. - Xenomorph - Metalheadz
Foreign Concept - Mob Justice - Critical
dBridge & Vegas - True Romance - Metalheadz
Mr L - Back To Your Roots - Mr L Recordings
Commix - Double Double - Metalheadz
Emalkay - The World (Teebee Remix) - Dub Police Records
Phace - Freedom of Filth - Critical
J Majik & Wickaman - The Ritual - Metalheadz

58 Minutes - 320kbs - 132mb

Stream/Download - http://soundcloud.com/olly-skwiffer/olly-skwiffer-new-year-of-2012

Download - http://dnbshare.com/download/Olly_Skwiffer_New_Year_of_2012.mp3.html

D Minds - Rotation - Blackout Music - nice track to open with, i um'd & r'd about baggin this, dunno why i didn't.
Basher & Xtrah - Hubble - Subtitles - yeah this was ok, could have done with the bass down during the into the kick was too dominant.
Foreign Concept - Possession - Shogun LTD - liked the way it was brought in. when hubble's drums cut out i would have liked a switch to it or even a filter on possession to smooth it out a bit. a real nice mix, these 2 go together quite well. i liked it at the bass switch those delayed noises sounded good over possessive's b line. lil less mid on hubble at that point tho i thought.
S.I.N. & Mutated Forms - Right Now - Spearhead Records - the intro was ok, a bit heavy on the mid, it left possessive a bit behind. really didn't like them dropping together, sounded a bit messy at points, evened itself out later on tho.
Mute & Mako - Rorschach - Ingredients - big fav of mine this one. bass sat quite nice but the drums just seemed to be over the place. the only thing i think u could have done would be to have right now real low in the mix but the bass sat nice at that level so catch 22.
Enei - Slow Motion - Deepkut - drums over breakdown.. pet hate of mine. but worked ok. bass togehter was cool. thing i hate about this tune is those percussion bits dont mix that well with much. this mix was ok with them but would have been cleaner if u cut the mix out earlier.
Jubei - Patience feat. dBridge (VIP) - Metalheadz - original would have mixed better but i know some people prefer it. nice lil mix tho.
Afrojack & Steve Aoki Ft Miss Palmer - No Beef (Nu Tone Remix (instrumental) - 3beat - me no heard this badger before. intro sounds cool. that melody could use a bit of room tho. less mid on patience. i'd up the trebble and down trebble on patience when those drums came in. have no beefs drums the dominant one. mix was nice.. dont get me wrong.. just being a perfectionist.
Logistics - Closer - Hospital - yeah ok man. that elctro organ thing took most of the room up in the intro.. the bass lines were nice toghther, real nice.
Enei & DRS - Obsession - Critical - drums sounded perfect at the start, u then gave it a bit more volume and it wasn't as nice but still cool. didn't like the mix when that horrible closer closer closer and pad came in.. much less mid, cut off was harsh too.
Judda & Trei - 6th Element - Alignment - no need for any bass on the intro, left obsession lacking power, sounded fucking hench when the bass switch. shame it couldn't go on for longer.
Mikal & Break - Just A Game - Metalheadz - really liked the intro was vibes.. didnt' like the double so much tho. a straight switch would have been more intresting and cleaner.
Amoss - Flex - Renegade - yeah ok man. those shuffly drums seemed to work well with flex.
S.P.Y. - Xenomorph - Metalheadz - turn that bass down a lil on the kick drum. (its more important than u think) it takes alot of weight away from the other bass line. liked the drops was cool.
Foreign Concept - Mob Justice - Critical - was ok, didnt really fuse together these to. some clever eq would have helped a lil ..
dBridge & Vegas - True Romance - Metalheadz - didn't like it. sounded messy, i see why u have put them together, the bass should sit over mob justice nicley but the drums are just to different.. if u made them drop at the same time u could have had mob justice real low in the mix and it would have sounded cleaner, and maybe a lil bit of subtractive mid on true romance to help whats left of MJ stick out.
Mr L - Back To Your Roots - Mr L Recordings - i know all the words to this track :teeth: well timed for the double. less mid on true romance.
Commix - Double Double - Metalheadz - intro sat nicley (lil less bass on that kick drum tho) then on the drop u should have cut out B2URs bass compltley.
Emalkay - The World (Teebee Remix) - Dub Police Records - vocals sounded cool, lil less bass and that pumping sound wouldn't have interfeired as much. shame it didn't go on longer, i was enjoying that.
Phace - Freedom of Filth - Critical - less bass on the intro, sounded great when the bass of Fof kicked in. the world dropped back in too bass heavy, cut its bass and lower FOF's mid so those vocals still have some omph.
J Majik & Wickaman - The Ritual - Metalheadz - dont hear this mixed enough... watch ur levels tho this came in loud. ur close to clipping. nice timed mix, too much bass on FOF.

a nice mix man, go easy on ur bass eq's less is more. cant stress that enough. even on intros with the kick drum, u can only include so much bass before it starts to fuck the sound up.
only other thing i can suggest is use ur mids more. can be subtle but it will smooth out blends so much more.
some real nice blends in here. hubble > possessive was my fav..

Thank you for the feedback mate. It's much appreciated. It's quite easy to lose perspective of how I'm actually getting along because I don't have anyone to mix with. Is there any chance I could message you with some more detailed questions? (Not necessarily about the mix itself)

no worries mate
i'm not claming to be an expert on mixing or anything like that but if you think i can give u any helpful advise feel free to ask man.

Back
Top Bottom