DnB Writing Drum and Bass Melodies

disrute

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hey all,

So recently i've been having a LOT of trouble coming up with melodies for drum and bass. The melodies and style of drum and bass i try to produce is liquid but with more energy, producers who i find are the most like this style include netsky, fred v & grafix. A nice example of a good melody that fits this sub genre would be One Day by Grafix; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_5a1Gr_Exs

Usually I create a melody with a plain piano, however would it be better if i were to create a synth and then start creating a melody to work with the synth sound that i create? Also whenever i create a melody with a plain piano preset, I always create a melody that sounds very mellow and isn't as uplifting as i would prefer. If anyone has any tips for creating some nice energetic melodies such as the one in one day by grafix that would be much appreciated! Please leave a comment if you have any tips :)

Hmm, first I make a little melody, then i start to design that sound with synth. I can't give you any tips for creating.. It's individual thing - some producers have a naturally talents and some producers not. Some people needs a more practice than the others. I have made my melodies with same technique for this short time and i've noticed a lot of improvement all the time. Hopefully someone else can find a better answer for ya, that was just mine vision of melodies designing. :|

if you have an iphone or android,there is an app called theory calculator
it shows u the scales,chords and intervals
but just read a tiny bit on music theory...will defo help u

Work out the bassline or at least the bass note of your chord and then build 2 or 3 notes above it that sound good according to your ears. This way you'll build up 3/4note chords that are nice for pads. Try to have at least one note the same in every 2nd chord, so that it really flows over in the next. Furthermore: layering pads is awesome. The higher the pad (in octaves) the more notes you cut from the chord. For instance a low pad with 4 notes per chord, a med pad with 3 and a high pad with 2 (maybe even octaves off oneanother) really give a wide ranged smooth sound. So if that's what your looking for (liquid!) then be sure to try this method.

Regards,
Q

Back
Top Bottom