Sound card

DTOKEZ

Sound card on a budget to run some Alesis M1 mk2's

Hi all, I have just won some Alesis M1 mk2 monitors from ebay :D

What (preferably) external sound card would you guys recommend? I don't mind spending up too around £100-150 max.

I guess I need xlr leads too do i?

cheers

Last edited:
those speakers can take a normal TRS or TS plug as well as an XLR plug.

Dunno about the audio interfaces, i've only ever used one, still am.

Hmm I remember EMU sells an external USB box quite cheap. Friends have recommended Focusrite Saffire, but I never tried one. In this price range there's not that many differences.

Last edited:
think its xlr only bud? only looks like the one socket on the back? I'm thinking about just buying or making some xlr to phono adapters for now till I get a card hmmm

It depends on a couple factors like how many live inputs do you need? For example, if you want to record a guitar and vocals at the same time (or two turntables), you'll need two inputs (either XLR and/or 1/4" balanced). Next thing to consider is your OS. If you are on a Mac, avoid Emu like the plague as they're quick to discontinue product updates with OS changes including 64bit compatibility...I found this out the hard way with my former audio interface - the Emu0404 USB. On a PC, however, Emu has a nice selection as does TC Electronics. Roland actually just came out with the Quad Capture which is a nice affordable piece of gear as well.

Ultimately, the cost of an audio interface is determined by the number of inputs/outputs, preamps and A/D D/A handling. Personally, I just upgraded to the Apogee Duet 2, which was a bit expensive but well worth the cost in terms of the clarity of the sound output when it comes to referencing, as well as the handling of audio input.

I hope this isn't prohibited, but I buy a lot of my gear from zzounds.com because they offer everyone a 4 installment payment plan with NO strings attached. I've used them for several pieces of gear just for that reason - I can get higher end stuff without the immediate buyers' remorse :tehpepsi:

Apologies upfront if shilling retail websites is a "no no."

Cheers.

Last edited:
I don't really need any inputs to be honest. Maybe just one might be useful if I want to record anything into the pc but I don't do it too often.

I'm on windows and I'm in the UK, but thanks for the link

Back
Top Bottom