help me, my snare does sit right on the bass

bass needs allot more attention on the EQ, if it sounds weak, ur equing the wrong bit, admitdly getting a bass like that sitting nice and fat is hardwork, but you will get it!

load up your spec analyzer and see what freqz ur Snare is hitting, also make sure theres not to much bass coming off the snare

do the same on your bassline, and use Notch Sweeping to find the highly resonant points around the snare area, you could give your bass a boost in the midrange for extra grunt if it starts to thin out to much, but, its all about learning which freqz you can keep and which you can get rid of, just practice. nice bass sound btw, although i can hear allot of resonance that could be cut out of it

load a parametric EQ, set one point so that you have a sharp/high Q, push the volume up, then move the point up and down the frequency spectrum, resonant points in the sound will ring out, the big ones which overlap with your other sounds, are the ones you need to carefully EQ, esp between 100-1khz, you dont need to take them all out, just tweek until the sound is clean and everything is nice and tight......do it low volume to protect ur amp/speakers, and never with headphones, u could fuk ur ears right up

notchEQ.png

and u can apply this to any sound or is it mainly just for seekin out the freq's that sound shit??

thanks anyway :)

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

any what do u mean by 'ring out' ??? sorry bout bein noobish

and u can apply this to any sound or is it mainly just for seekin out the freq's that sound shit??

any sound at all, although you might have a hard time trying to use it on a drum hit, longer sounds work best, but its a great way for getting a feel for how sounds are built up in the freq spectrum, eventually you will hear those resonant points without having to sweep, with pracitce

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

any what do u mean by 'ring out' ??? sorry bout bein noobish

do the sweep slowly....u'll hear it ringing out, its very obvious....it'll be a constant and overpowering tone, at that freq

by duck, do you mean sidechain? snare sounds clearer anyways, i recon theres still sum more EQ u culd do, its a bit muddy still

yeah i know but parents are moaning. nah i didnt sidechain i just eq'd the bass below where the snare was hittin and done some extra eq on the snare to take off some unwanted top end

Back
Top Bottom