a complete noobalicious production question from a production noob

Joey AdhD

sweaty scouser
VIP Junglist
right i have ableton and i am trying to get my head round actually creating a suitable drum and bass break, i really don't understand the structure of it, wether i should be in 1/16 or 1/8, i have it set to around 175 bpm, but it still sound fucking well slow?

plus avery one i try and make on the loop jus doesn't even sound like dnb, do you have to put drums between beats or what? its starting to get on my tits, i know its simple, i am looking for tutorials and stuff but it'd all over my head, i jus really want to know, in simple terms were to start with a dnb break ,the structure of it, i am brand new to this game, and simple is perfect, do you work to 8 beats and what not?

even if u know of a video that can explain it to me i would be thankful.

i have watched all the tutorial vids and i have made a few things techno and house wise, but i want to be creating deb but i have failed at the first hurdle and i don't think its really right to use a loop i have in packs n stuff, would rather nail it myself

i am using the impulse drum machine.

cheers in advance.

the speed comes from the HiHats, Snare rolls and percussion shuffles, a quick way to speed things up is to layer in some Tamb hits, following your 1/8 hi-hat hits, do little 1/16th hi-hat and tamb shuffles to keep things moving

see heres another problem, i don't fully understand what 1/8 and 1/16 is either, i am researching this now,

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

i am trying my damnedest to get this sounding right i have all day but at 180 bpm it just sounds like fucking breakbeat.

---------- Post added at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

i am onto the beat separation, surely jus putin a drum on every beat doesn't work, does it? u have to place drum in-between? fuck i am shit at this.

see heres another problem, i don't fully understand what 1/8 and 1/16 is either, i am researching this now,

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

i am trying my damnedest to get this sounding right i have all day but at 180 bpm it just sounds like fucking breakbeat.

add your new midi clip

in the Midi editor, right click on the midi edit area, you will see Fixed Grid, and then a load of options including 1/8 and 1/16

set it to 1/8

add a hi-hat hit for every mark on the grid, you now have a 1/8 hihat pattern, change 2 of the hihats to open hats on the snare hits (1.2 and 1.4 probly)

now right click on the grid again and select 1/16, add a couple of extra hi-hat hits in, they will be half the length of the last ones, u now got sum basic shuffles......the rest is practise

1/8 refers to 1 x 8th of a bar

could try using a loop an place ur own drum samples on kick an snare just to get the idea the remove the loop an go from there

basic-hat-tamb-1-16-and-1-8pattern.png

above is a basic 1/16th hi-hat, 1/8th tamb pattern, open hats on the snare hits (kick n snare aint on this channel, but basic wuld b kick on 1 and 1.3-3 and snare on 1.2 and 1.4), and a clap on 1.3 to move things along and give it a nice roll

:)

Do what DJ MARLOK says. :)

Find a sample you like and recreate it. Then you can change it a little bit as you need and start finding new beats too.

i'm gona say the complete opposite, dont use loops, i know they are used massivly, but wots the point of doing what everyone else does? soon as u have figured out the dnb roll for urself u can do all sorts of interesting things, loops are great for filling in the sound later

Well he is trying to find that Drum n bass break. The easiest way to learn is to copy from a propperly done loop or break. When you become good, then from then on you can experiment as much as you want :) . Thats what I think ofc

I believe BattleDrone has the best break construction tutorial available on the net. In terms of creating your break from one shots. Hattrix has a very nice break chopping tutorial. You should search them on google.

I believe BattleDrone has the best break construction tutorial available on the net. In terms of creating your break from one shots. Hattrix has a very nice break chopping tutorial. You should search them on google.

any one have the links to these. cant find them maybe i'm being stupid

i'm gona say the complete opposite, dont use loops, i know they are used massivly, but wots the point of doing what everyone else does? soon as u have figured out the dnb roll for urself u can do all sorts of interesting things, loops are great for filling in the sound later

This ^^

Build your own breaks.

Back
Top Bottom