Does wearing ear protection at raves.....

Only people who regularly drive vehicles like bus drivers should bother wearing seat belts IMHO.

Last edited:
Ive never worn earplugs out.

I used to get right down in the front by the speakers and subs all night long, and my hearing would go to shit for like a day or so after, but lately its started pissing me off how crowded it is down there and when im fucked up and ready to go mad, i like to have lots of room, so usually stay to the side or back, since doing that its only marginally reduced enjoyability, but my ears have been perfect when ive left.

I think if people wanna wear em, good on em for wanting to protect their hearing. You wear a seat belt in a car, a helmet on a bike, a visor when welding, and steel toe caps when carrying heavy shit, all because if the consequences of not doing so have permanent, life changing effects.

Yeah I play out regularly and have never worn earplugs, my ears are damaged now sometimes it feels like someone has thrown a flash grenade on cod at one ear and then my it rings and comes back.

I get this in my right ear just at random times, fucking well annoying

Hearing damage is specified from 84 dB SPL+ for 4hrs of continuous industrial machine noise. Time is halved for each 3dB increase (87dB/2hrs) (90dB/1hr) etc. These figures vary slightly from diferent sources. Nearly every club install/soundsystem will be playing music that will be louder than 100db and probs have peaks of up to 110/120db.

Ive had tinnitus mildy since i was 18 because of "raving" and going to events and i can tell you its not fun, people have killed themselfs from the stress it can cause. Sitting in a silent room and all you can hear is a ringing, is the last thing you want.

I wear earplugs every time i go to a night now and i enjoy the nights alot more! I can stand in a room full of pro audio been ragged to shit thats rattling my chest for hours, and feel fine when i walk out. Also a good pair wont reduce the quality of the sound at all, only the volume that you hear is reduced by about 15-20db which could save your hearing from afair bit of damage.

fuckin hell, after reading this thread i must be very lucky or on the verge of massive ear damage. When i first started goin raving back in 1997 i used to get ringing ears for a couple days after, these days i dont get any ringing at all and do spend most the night by the speakers. I have only ever went raving once every month or couple month. I do value my hearing a lot and am gonna invest in some plugs but hadnt really thought bout it as ive never had any problems. I guess i must be one of the lucky ones?

fuckin hell, after reading this thread i must be very lucky or on the verge of massive ear damage. When i first started goin raving back in 1997 i used to get ringing ears for a couple days after, these days i dont get any ringing at all and do spend most the night by the speakers. I have only ever went raving once every month or couple month. I do value my hearing a lot and am gonna invest in some plugs but hadnt really thought bout it as ive never had any problems. I guess i must be one of the lucky ones?

Ditto. It's a bit sus isnt it?

Well it is common sense to wear ear protection but like i said, 15 years of raving, mainly standing in front of speakers and my hearing is near perfect in both ears. If anything its this that makes me wanna protect them even more

Ive never worn earplugs out.

I used to get right down in the front by the speakers and subs all night long, and my hearing would go to shit for like a day or so after, but lately its started pissing me off how crowded it is down there and when im fucked up and ready to go mad, i like to have lots of room, so usually stay to the side or back, since doing that its only marginally reduced enjoyability, but my ears have been perfect when ive left.

used to all be raving front row centre back when I was 17, suffered generally the whole day after everytime I went for a skank.
Generally as I've got older I prefer more space, so I generally head to a spot that has more room for me to skank out...hence less noise being away from the speakers.

I tend to find your buzzed out mate who cant hear shit screaming in your ear over the music asking you to go for a fag about a million times normally does me over more than the music.

+for every night at cable, they should offer earplugs, the high ends get distorted easily and can wreck ya ears.

Only wore earplugs once, to my first valve night, took them out after a couple of hours.

Each to their own people, each to their own.

Ditto. It's a bit sus isnt it?

lol

obv its a massive conspiracy by the Free Masons, you've caught us out, damn

dont worry everyone, its all nonsense, feel free to stick ur head inside the next F1 sub you spot and turn it up on full, u'll be fine

I tend to find your buzzed out mate who cant hear shit screaming in your ear over the music asking you to go for a fag about a million times normally does me over more than the music.

init!

i'm going to sit on the fence on this one though, i can see both sides of the argument... personally, i'd like to get some as i produce and dj, so therefore my hearing is important to me... however, if i were a normal person that only went to clubs with hench rigs a few times a year, i would nay bother ;)

It was Jungle Syndicate, so I wouldn't say it was full of gash, but I had to be home by 1, so maybe I missed most of them. :l

NotSureIfSerious.png

I wear those alpine music safe ones when I go to clubs (I find fabrics soundsystem is actually unpleasant and pretty painful without them, but at festivals I don't bother) and I think they do actually take away a lot of the mids... it might be different with the expensive custom ones though.

if you play out or go out regularly its ESSENTIAL to protect your ears. but ultimately no one can tell you what to do. There your ears after all. Its up to you!

always wanted to know actually, you DJs that play out, do you have high quality custom ear plugs? Because if youre using say, apline music safes or other "acoustic" ~£30 ear plugs, and over half your crowd arent wearing ear plugs at all, surely youre EQing is going to sound different to them?

I think earplugs that are designed for the job just lower volume, and dont impact on the frequencies you hear etc. Same as what the crowd are hearing, just not as loud. I think.

Sorry if I missed it but I failed to find someone recommending the certain product to protect our hearing. Where should this be available to buy?

Back
Top Bottom