Does wearing ear protection at raves.....

i've been going to gigs regulalrly for the last 7 years, and raving for the last 2 or so, where the music has always been loud as fuck. I'm now slightly deaf in one ear...I should probably start wearing some kind of ear-plugs, but i've pretty much grown up with a "meh...fuck it" attitude.

Oh Jono please...you're gonna have me in floods of tears! Standing too close to the stack is something you have to learn not to do...it's part of the process of growing up and becoming a man (I had to learn the hard way myself) but try and think of it as part of Darwinian natural selection. There are circumstances when you should wear them but for the average punter it really isn't worth it. I think at this point I'm gonna let you go back to all agreeing with each other or it's gonna look like I'm trolling but just remember than these forum consensus's don't always stand up in real life.

It's not as simple as not standing next to the speaker. You may not have notable damage but that's like saying 'i smoked for 20 years and don't have cancer', it doesn't mean that you haven't done any damage to your hearing. That just highlights the fact that everyone's body is different and can take different levels of punishment. In general you can't just say that wearing ear plugs isn't worth it just because you personally can still hear fine.

I actually can't say if you're being serious btw, saying protecting your hearing is more about 'growing up and becoming a man' over wearing hearing protection..

Trust me, please wear them.

Am 20 and had my hearing checked bacause of now constant ringing. WHAM BAM - hearing age of a 60yr old, compared to a normal one when it was checked when i was at school. Spent 170 quid on the sick ones and they make raving better somehow. the musics never overpowering/ so loud you cant really comprehend it. dooooooo it

I got those 'music safe' ones with the 3 filters for about £15 and they work fine. You hear the music much more clearly and with the filters you can choose how loud the music is

ALWAYS wear earplugs. Your hearing is one thing that can never be replaced. I always regret never wearing them out when I was younger.

Smarter words have ne'er been spoken. Custom earlplugs are the best thing you can ever do. Wear mine to play, to gigs and occasionally if I slice a large peice of meat with a power tool. But seriously - get a custom fitted pair that cut about 15db and wear them all around the club and just take them out when you go and talk with the smokers outside :)

I love raving with earplugs. Its more care free and more pain free. Also you can hear the tunes better and just generaly concentrate on the music better if you have good ones.
Oh and you can still feel the bass through your body and rippling your face.

yeah man, because your ears aren't trying to protect themselves from the LOUD NOISES you can actually hear a lot better. sounds like bullshit but that's what I am told and it goes with my personal experience too

Wore a pair that cost me 20 - 30 quid at quarantine, was great, didn't lose any sound quality, no muffled sound, in fact I could actually hear the tracks better with the bass still kicking through, If you get cheap shit ones however, it will probably sound shit and wont protect your ears properly.

Just realised I just said pretty much the same thing as wobbie lol.

Last edited:
Its always smart to protect your ears at raves even if its just shitty ear plugs, better to be safe than sorry. you'll be kicking yourself somewhere down the line if not protecting them as a negative impact. I generally always do, even if i do get a bit of shit because of it. Fuck it, i'd rather not make my tinnitus any worse!

Oh lawdy...this thread feels like some kind of public health broadcast. I demand to hear the consequences of aural abuse from Dr Miszt!

That's only for employees though Smarty... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/1643/regulation/7/made

I have to say I'm half tempted to give them a go purely to see what it's like to not be half deaf the following day but I am curious as to why I see so few people actually wearing them if they're so popular? Also I think if a lot of clubs stuck to the volumes set out in their license there wouldn't be a problem but nobody wants to dob them in so it's catch 22 really...

not at all man.
i've never worn ear protection when i have been out 'avin it large' but i wish i had.

I'm only 21 and i'm already having problems hearing lower levels of sound. (the majority of that damage being down to all the loud metal i used to listen to when i was kid i would imagine).
But all them times i've been hugging the speaker at a cheese club surely haven't helped either.

i look like a right norman having to ask some poor cunt to repeat themselves three or four times until they realise they need to speak louder lol.

That's only for employees though Smarty... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/1643/regulation/7/made

I have to say I'm half tempted to give them a go purely to see what it's like to not be half deaf the following day but I am curious as to why I see so few people actually wearing them if they're so popular? Also I think if a lot of clubs stuck to the volumes set out in their license there wouldn't be a problem but nobody wants to dob them in so it's catch 22 really...

the only people who ware them usually, as you say are staff, and also producers, the ones who value their hearing, some dj's too, but as i said before, constant loud noise isnt actually as dangerous as sudden volume changes, if you go from 50-60db out on the street, and stand in a club @ 110db, that is where the biggest danger comes from, if you build the volume up over an hour or so, ur ears adapt better, but it will still fuk ur ears up

i got tinnitus a few times, always from playing out, and always with monitors like Mackies, i'm allot more fussy about what I play on these days, often i'd rather have the monitors off and do it thru my cans...hopefully eventually i'll save up enough cash to get sum nice molded monitor headphone/filters for playing out

its a massive shame that they arnt pushed more imo, going deaf isnt the only problem, tinnitus can be permenant, and can also be very loud, some people develop to the point where its louder than anything else around them, a screaming high-pitched whine day in day out is pretty messed up

going by what is popular isnt a good way to deciede wether sumthing is a good idea, infact allot of the time humans behave like lemmings because of this kind of thinking and end up in all sorts of trouble

I would say a lot of the reason more people don't wear ear plugs is because they aren't into the music that much, and are there for a night out rather than a habit, and so don't have a lot of interest in music outside of it and so don't care for their hearing too much. Before I properly got into dnb I never wore earplugs, but do now because the next day when I am trying to listen to music and my hearing is fucked I go into near depression!

When I went to dmz people asked me why I was wearing earplugs.. I said why aren't you?

Yeah I play out regularly and have never worn earplugs, my ears are damaged now sometimes it feels like someone has thrown a flash grenade on cod at one ear and then my it rings and comes back. Not good at all, once the damage is done there isn't any going back.

I see it the same as wearing a helmet when riding a bike, you probably won't need it but what if you do.

But I never wear a helmet or ear plugs so maybe it's time for change.

Back
Top Bottom