Does wearing ear protection at raves.....

mistasfx

MISTA SFX
VIP Junglist
take away any of the enjoyment or feel of the music?

I really should be wearing ear protection at my age when i goto raves but i dont wanna lose that experience of a nuts sound system in ya face. So do they take away some of the power from the music?

Thanks

I wear them and am 22.

spend some money and get decent ear plugs and the sound is still spot on, but without the negative effects of loud sound for hours at a time, damaging your hearing.

i had a hearing test and after 15 years of raving i was very surprised to find out my hearing was still near perfect but not gettin any younger so wanna start wearing them. So they dont take away the power of a fat system in ya face?

Decent quality earplugs will simply reduce the volume of the sound your hearing, (not block it out) which for me is a must for avoiding tinnitus. I've always worn them at work (nightclub) and ive found they don't take away from the experience.

Get decent earplugs, with filters designed for clubs, they reduce the volume, without muffling the sound...and nothing can stop the sub shaking ur molecules anyways :D

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

you can get diffrent levels of filter to btw, so worth getting a couple of diffrent levels and change them thru the night, your ears can adapt to loud noises, the most dangerous aspect of noise is sudden volume changes

from my experience to some extent it does occasionally take away the impact of it, but thats probably because i was using shitty boots silicon earplugs instead of actual proper music earplugs.

lol not at all
some people think u can't hear a thing with earplugs in but you couldn't be further from the truth, they cut out the harsh bad toppy sounds..you can still hear the bass it just cuts out the high harshness
i've had tinnitus for 8 years now n wear earplugs whenever i dj or go out

from my experience to some extent it does occasionally take away the impact of it, but thats probably because i was using shitty boots silicon earplugs instead of actual proper music earplugs.

no comparison man! them squashy ones are a load of shit, unless you want to block out everything

Lol! Unless you work in a nightclub or you wanna stand next to the speaker I dont see the point. No other cunt wears them so why would you?

ALWAYS wear earplugs. Your hearing is one thing that can never be replaced. I always regret never wearing them out when I was younger.

Not at all. If you get custom ones you only notice them in for about 5mins, after that you forget they are in and the music sounds bit more crisp and confortable. You shoudln't but if towards the end of the rave you take one out you'll really notice how extreme most systems are

If you're constantly in a club then fair enough but if you're raving once or twice a month there's no point. Just dont go standing right by the speaker.

I just wear the ones from my work whenever I go to a club.. Hate the ringing in my ears

Mate dont make statements like that at me without fucking backing yourself up! I've been raving for a long time and can tell you now this is an example of the over cautious slightly paranoid health & safety conscious times we live in. I've read threads like this so I know what the forum consensus is on ear plugs but that doesn't mean they're right. If you don't get a lot of exposure to the loudness (unlike Smarty & Rowney) I don't think it's worth wearing them. From the way people are nodding sagely on here about using earplugs I'm staggered at how I manage to avoid the ringing ears the day after a club...

Last edited:
Lol! Unless you work in a nightclub or you wanna stand next to the speaker I dont see the point. No other cunt wears them so why would you?

So you don't end up like 'no other cunt' who can't hear the traffic when he's crossing the road all cos he stood too close to the stack at a valve night when the dj didn't turn down the gain on a loud tune before switching. Aint worthit man

Oh Jono please...you're gonna have me in floods of tears! Standing too close to the stack is something you have to learn not to do...it's part of the process of growing up and becoming a man (I had to learn the hard way myself) but try and think of it as part of Darwinian natural selection. There are circumstances when you should wear them but for the average punter it really isn't worth it. I think at this point I'm gonna let you go back to all agreeing with each other or it's gonna look like I'm trolling but just remember than these forum consensus's don't always stand up in real life.

I love raving with earplugs. Its more care free and more pain free. Also you can hear the tunes better and just generaly concentrate on the music better if you have good ones.
Oh and you can still feel the bass through your body and rippling your face.

out of curiosity papa how much (if you have) do you play out in clubs, i find my ears are often worse after mixing on a loudish system, because you have to have the monitors high generally to hear properly.

at the end of the day everyone has different ears that will respond in different ways to volume. some may be able to take it well, whereas others might really feel it.
i for one am going to invest in some earplugs, i'd rather spend some money and maybe be overtly H&S concious, but id rather that than listening to a ringing in my ears for the rest of my days..

People seem to think if your ears don't ring, they're not being damaged...

As everyones said, decent ear plugs won't alter the sound enough to ruin anything. Cheapy foam plugs are pretty bad, but even they're better than being deaf.

Back
Top Bottom