Does wearing ear protection at raves.....

Yeah I think so! Your brain is compensating so turn's up the volume in a way.

interesting...bit random but youre body seems to do this a lot of the time, if youre spinning, once you stop you still feel dizzy as youre brain thinks youre still spinning but you are infact standing still

Ok, so I have been Djing since 95 in clubs.
I use toilet paper on a weekly basis, even if there is a band in a pub or a pub Dj.
About 5 years ago I got some properly made up to fit my ears, I think it was about £170. They wereclear, but as a producer I can tell you they were filtered. They gave the impression of top end but you had a lump at around 8k. Sounded good though.

However, I was used to what the toilet paper did to sound AND what my ears were like afterwards. I thought my ears were getting a pasting with proper earplugs, so I moved back to toilet paper.

Worth saying though that I lick it before it goes in and the reduction is huge. The top end loss is quite a lot as well. Your brain is quite good at adjusting, so what I usually do is put them in before I drive to a club. This gives time to adjust- listening to the radio or whatever then you go into a club and the music is louder than that.

I would advise that the hearing protection you use really makes a massive difference and worry about the quality later as your ears adjust anyway. Bear in mind, that after 5 mins in a loud place in a club without protection you will soon lose that top end sound anyway (there is a kind of foot shaped thing which withdraws to protect your hearing and returns slowly when things are quieter).

Ok, so I have been Djing since 95 in clubs.
I use toilet paper on a weekly basis, even if there is a band in a pub or a pub Dj.
About 5 years ago I got some properly made up to fit my ears, I think it was about £170. They wereclear, but as a producer I can tell you they were filtered. They gave the impression of top end but you had a lump at around 8k. Sounded good though.

However, I was used to what the toilet paper did to sound AND what my ears were like afterwards. I thought my ears were getting a pasting with proper earplugs, so I moved back to toilet paper.

Worth saying though that I lick it before it goes in and the reduction is huge. The top end loss is quite a lot as well. Your brain is quite good at adjusting, so what I usually do is put them in before I drive to a club. This gives time to adjust- listening to the radio or whatever then you go into a club and the music is louder than that.

I would advise that the hearing protection you use really makes a massive difference and worry about the quality later as your ears adjust anyway. Bear in mind, that after 5 mins in a loud place in a club without protection you will soon lose that top end sound anyway (there is a kind of foot shaped thing which withdraws to protect your hearing and returns slowly when things are quieter).

Huge bit of advice !! Just gave this a whirl on my dj mixer with the volume cranked up and I was really pleased with the results.
I will defiantly be using toilet paper when I next play out.

Saves forking out 170 or a pair of in ears as well !!

Big ups mate

i miht purchase some of these ear plugs. im fed up with the rining in the ears and not being able to hear a thing the next day which has resulted in me taking a day off work.

If its ringing in your ears the next day then they are def. overstretched.

With regard to the toilet paper thing... until 2001 I used to bung it in dry... and I found a guy in Australia did the same except licked it before going in, makes a full on seal- not talking about drenching it though. The downside is that you will probably end up with a bit of debris in there sometimes.

yup i agree, just dont go standing by speakers. though I do wear mine when i go to small venues, the bar is next to the speaker, and I spend a lot fo time there. ;)

Back
Top Bottom