Does wearing ear protection at raves.....

If you're constantly in a club then fair enough but if you're raving once or twice a month there's no point. Just dont go standing right by the speaker.

Every time you get that ringing in your ears that is permanent damage.
It all adds up mate, I even take my earplugs to college just incase I need to mic up an amp while the drummer is doing soundchecks

Sorry if I missed it but I failed to find someone recommending the certain product to protect our hearing. Where should this be available to buy?

Im using these at the moment. Pretty good! You get used to the slightly muffled sound, it is only slight aswell. Plus the travel case is a big bonus.
This guy posts immediatley too, ordered one morning, they arrived the morning after. Spot on :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-Musicsafe-pro-re-usable-attenuating-earplugs-/230584310236?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item35afe559dc

Ask yourself: Is my hearing worth £16?

If you answered no, your a douche.

can someone please recommend some good ear plugs for around 50 quid? i think im getting bad hearing from mixing at home, tend to play it really loud and not realising, these last few days my ears keep ringing and they hurts a bit, what a fucking idiot...

im quite worried about it tbh

I've been wearing ER15 filtered ear plugs for about a year & a half now & I can tell you that they were the best things I have ever bought in my life. I wore foam ones from about 2008 & got the proper moulded ones early last year & the difference is astounding.

Not only can you hear everything perfectly, it actually sounds better imo because it takes away that high end screechy-ness that you don't know is there. Also, you can have a conversation with someone without shouting. And when people shout in your ear it's not as bad.

You cannot put a price on your hearing, it is irreplacable.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

Oh & re the question of does it downgrade the bass etc. No way does it! You can still feel it in your chest & all over your face. Makes my nose all tickly sometimes :)

I've been wearing ER15 filtered ear plugs for about a year & a half now & I can tell you that they were the best things I have ever bought in my life. I wore foam ones from about 2008 & got the proper moulded ones early last year & the difference is astounding.

Not only can you hear everything perfectly, it actually sounds better imo because it takes away that high end screechy-ness that you don't know is there. Also, you can have a conversation with someone without shouting. And when people shout in your ear it's not as bad.

You cannot put a price on your hearing, it is irreplacable.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

Oh & re the question of does it downgrade the bass etc. No way does it! You can still feel it in your chest & all over your face. Makes my nose all tickly sometimes :)

How much were they? And I love the bass feeling but hate having to rub my nose all the time haha

Felt my ears hurting as soon as I walked into Cable last night, was quite uncomfortable.

May have to invest in a pair even though I only go raving like once every 6/8 weeks or so.

How much were they? And I love the bass feeling but hate having to rub my nose all the time haha

They were £170 which you think is a lot but it really isn't. They're meant to last 5 years but the place I got them from said if you look after them properly they can last much longer.

Say they last 5 years, thats £34 a year. If you go raving every month that's £2.83 a rave. So when you think about it, it's not much for protecting your ears.

And the nose tickling thing gets so bad sometimes doesn't it?!

Definitely use them, and the funniest part about using earplugs is that you can hear the "bass" a bit more clearer, but ofc you loose a bit of the highs and mids. PLUS, you can hear what your friend is saying to you while the music blasts in your face :D
I sometimes use tissue paper if I forget to bring my own earplugs, or if you dont want to use a lot of money , just use the earplugs you can buy at the farmacy for 1 euro.

They were £170 which you think is a lot but it really isn't. They're meant to last 5 years but the place I got them from said if you look after them properly they can last much longer.

Say they last 5 years, thats £34 a year. If you go raving every month that's £2.83 a rave. So when you think about it, it's not much for protecting your ears.

And the nose tickling thing gets so bad sometimes doesn't it?!

Haha yeah once you notice it it's dreadful! And yeah I might invest in some.. I use ones I got from work at the moment

I never wear earplugs in clubs and i spend a fair amount of time by lod dj monitors if i do. Its defo not doing my hearing any favours

i noticed on the weekend how much better my hearing is to my mates who dj every weekend in pubs n clubs coz after i went on the decks after them the headphone volume was turned right up n it hurt me lol i said to them to invest in plugs coz its obvious their hearing is knackered. I'm deffo investing in some top quality ones after reading this thread

can someone please recommend some good ear plugs for around 50 quid? i think im getting bad hearing from mixing at home, tend to play it really loud and not realising, these last few days my ears keep ringing and they hurts a bit, what a fucking idiot...

im quite worried about it tbh

You're better off just keeping an eye on the levels/master, no point buying earplugs when you have control over the volume

Hello! I joined these forums so I could hopefully help out others either confused about earplugs or unsure about them. I AM a frequent raver, but I am also a college student etc. and I want to protect my hearing as hearing lose is irreversible, and as mentioned earlier, not fun to live with. Hopefully adding my $.02 will help some others out there as well.

I was reading this thread last week before a rave because I was concerned with previous events' tole on my ears (ringing was so bad I had a hard time sleeping even with the fan on high! Thankfully I have accumulated no permanent damage yet). However, I read this thread the day before the event, I wanted to take action to protect my hearing, and I wanted to go to the event. I live in Arizona and down here apparently no one else is concerned with potential hearing lose so I knew I would stick out, but I wanted to minimize this and of course keep the music that I love intact as well. Earlier in this thread someone suggested Alpine earplugs/hearing dampeners. I found out that a local Best Buy carries them so I went and picked some up for $22 USD. They are basically tiny little silicone dampeners that have two different types of hearing dampener settings; the silver adapters are a 'medium' setting, and the gold adapters are a 'high' setting (ex. they block out a higher amount of decibels). They are easily interchangeable by carefully removing the former plug with two fingers (careful not to tear the silicone/rubber/whatever the material is). When I put them in I noticed I looked strange with them sticking out. I read the manual and it said you can actually snip the ends to shorten them, which worked extremely well; I just used some scissors and snipped about 3-4mm off each one. After downsizing them, they were ALMOST unnoticeable.

Here in Arizona they are very strict on what is allowed into the events so I just told the cop that searched me they are my hearing dampeners and that I have hearing problems (in reality I don't, but I don't want any >.<). They let me in no problem. After that the lights went out and I'm certain hardly anyone noticed them, but I also noticed no one around me had any so I felt just a little bit out of place at first. After some time though I stopped caring. There was absolutely no hearing loss in the music, I could still hear it extremely well. The worst aspect of them is probably that its just a little bit harder to hear friends up close, and that you look strange if you are constantly removing them/putting them back in to talk to someone (I just kept them in). Earlier in this thread someone said something like 'once you put *certain brand of earplugs* in, you forget you're wearing them.' This is ALMOST true with the Alpines, but not completely. You are constantly aware they are in your ears, but its not annoying, its more so reassuring because they are very well constructed and have absolutely no way of falling out of your ears or anything. I am A Hardstyle shuffler and that night was no exception; I was afraid sweat might cause them to fall out but on the contrary, they felt even better after getting 'sweated in' (yea it might be gross but srsly who doesn't sweat lol).

In conclusion, I found these to be VERY successful hearing dampeners/earplugs/whatever you want to call them. I used the Medium (silver) in one ear and the High (gold) in the other ear to see the difference. The gold will protect your ears from that RAW bass when you walk by the sound system that are just torture on your (at least MY) ears (the silver/medium ones do to as well obviously, just a little bit less). I recommend the gold. My ear with the silver plug in it had a bit of that distinct ringing, but I'm happy to report it went away almost instantly after an hour-ish on the freeway home. My ear with the gold plug in it had almost no noticeable ringing/damage. I have another rave coming up this weekend and I ended up just buying a pikachu hat to cover them up. Problem solved; if you have long hair or a hat that covers your ears nobody will notice. There were more than a few times my friend walked right in front of the amps that I was very thankful I had these earplugs in. I asked him after the event if he noticed them and he told me he could but they really weren't that noticeable unless I turned to the side.

Hopefully that helps some other people out there and to be honest, I really hope this catches on because as I've learned from relatives, hearing damage is NOT fun. If anyone has any questions jut let me know. :) And also, these are the actual product i got, the Alpine 'Classics' http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Hearing-Protection-MusicSafe-Classic/dp/B0032BYCWG

~Stealthlead

Last edited:
I do value my hearing alot and ive been to loads of loud nights and my hearing is fine.

I dont hear the microwave ping sometimes and just the other week everyone at work got up and ran out the building for no reason, apparently there was a fire alarm going off or something but apart from that my hearing is fine

I do value my hearing alot and ive been to loads of loud nights and my hearing is fine.

I dont hear the microwave ping sometimes and just the other week everyone at work got up and ran out the building for no reason, apparently there was a fire alarm going off or something but apart from that my hearing is fine

I'd say not being able to hear a fire alarm is the opposite of fine....

lol he was joking

I got those Alpine plugs nearly two years ago now, and my hearing has improved dramatically. Was always asking people to speak up or repeat themselves before, my hearing was definitely going. People would say something, and I'd hear something completely different.

I'm gonna go one step further and get some proper plugs that are moulded to the shape of my ear. They are expensive, but you only get one pair of ears. Apparently they're are some that are that adavanced that, even though you've got plugs in and you're more than protected, it feels and hears like you haven't got any in at all.

Back
Top Bottom