Can people stop trying to copy other producers sound?

HyperonDnb

A lot of producers nowadays seem to be trying to recreate the same sound as say skrillex, chase and status etc, just try and be original with your sound and experiment, ok if you want that same sound as those producers then follow the same path but please dont copy them 100%. experimenting always does you good, a lot of my main features in tunes ie basses and wobbles have come from experimentation and yes ill admit...accidents.

No offence to anyone copy others sound but remember you're not them. :)

Ajay

I think people try to copy other peoples sounds for educational purposes. All things in music and life are built upon another, if someone sets a standard, another must achieve that level of competency before surpassing it. Another thing is taste and trends. I am pretty sure I could make the most original song I ever had today. However, by today's contemporary standards it would still be shit because no one has made evolutionary progress to the style.
Think of the three IIIs. Innovators, imitators, and idiots. Not everyone can be an Innovator, but lots can be successful imitators, and most of us will be idiots.
So go ahead and be an entrepreneur of sound. The world will be a better place for it. But don't be surprised when somebody imitates your sound, evolves it and does it better than you.

nothing wrong with using the same techniques etc etc but imo using the exact same sounds isnt really good, i agree however that it is interesting to see how an artist would achieve a certain sound and using features from that to create your own sound.

One of the best ways in learning is replicating something already made. Not to use it, but to build further upon it or to learn just one little technique that you can use on another sound. I do like Skrillex, and yes I somehow know what the guy does for his growls and such, but I would never want to imitate the exact growl from one of his specific tunes. Instead I'm much more interested in his mixing skills or the mixing skills from his engineer. His tunes (as well as Feed Me's) sound really clear and clean, but still filthy and dirty at the same time.

Nah, it's fine to imitate sounds. I'd love to be able to create any sound that I can imagine, but trying to imitate an actual concrete sound is ok as a step on the way. You can a/b it and hear what you need to improve on etc.
If it gets to the point where someone is sending off those imitations to djs or labels then that's a bit stupid.

To add to IV4's point, not everyone has the skill or desire to be an innovator either, and who cares. That's the listeners decision!

its a difficult one this, u make music influenced by the music u hear, truely creative individuals make tunes that are creative and true to their style, these are the producers who make it, i make tunes, but when making tunes i have a particular sound and rhythm i have heard somewere thats how i know i will never make it as a producer,

its boils down to a quote my mate says all the time when refaring to art, as is pics graff an paintings...

"fucking ell, i could ave fucking painted that...."

"yeah mate i am sure u could but would u even think about painting it if u had never seen it?"

the secret lies in being original, and thinking outside the box about making it rather than just making it..

ya getz me?

it comes after long and hard work imo, you start out by copying shit you heard and as the years go by you find your own sound. some recent big names though like a lot of the liquid producers seem to me like they did tried it one time and got it right the first time and that was that. never made a tune before but it sounded big and fat and very much like someone else.

I think people try to copy other peoples sounds for educational purposes. All things in music and life are built upon another, if someone sets a standard, another must achieve that level of competency before surpassing it. Another thing is taste and trends. I am pretty sure I could make the most original song I ever had today. However, by today's contemporary standards it would still be shit because no one has made evolutionary progress to the style.
Think of the three IIIs. Innovators, imitators, and idiots. Not everyone can be an Innovator, but lots can be successful imitators, and most of us will be idiots.
So go ahead and be an entrepreneur of sound. The world will be a better place for it. But don't be surprised when somebody imitates your sound, evolves it and does it better than you.

This. Allll day long.

Back
Top Bottom