Is it worth getting Ear Plugs for DJing??

DJ Lordward

T.D.P.
VIP Junglist
My ears are still ringing from DJing out last night. Its so loud in the DJ booth it aint good.
Can any1 advise sum ear plugs for DJing?
Im only 17 & gonna be deaf soon if I dont do sumthin!
I need the earplugs that filter out the harmful frequencies (not ones that stop u from hearing anythin lol), so can anyone recommend sum?
Thanks

I don't even go to venues without my plugs anymore.

Only your everyday plugs tho. You can get them fitted to your ear and i think they range from about £50 to £200. I have dj'd wearing the normal plugs and its still easy enough to hear everything, its just quieter.

Iv seen that you can get reusable ear plugs which reduce all the frequencies evenly for £15 on a website about music & tinnitus, but it doesnt say where u can get em from!

The best ones that i know of are the ER-20 Hi Fi earplugs. i think theyre the industry standard technics 1210 of the earplug world. they make DJing easier than normal too. u cant hear all the loud masses of crap u dont need to hear so much (loud crowed, crap mc that dont pause for breath for his 4 hour set etc) so its more like DJin in ur room. much easier than normal :2thumbs: i dont know where u can get em, but put in er-20 hi fi earplugs into google and u should get something up (y)

I just saw the thread. I found an on-line store doing some
http://www.deafequipment.co.uk/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1050682631

Those are very similar to the ones I use.

Richer Sounds definitely sell some similar, and I'm pretty sure Boots do too.

Look out for 'reusable' and 'all frequency' on the packet and they're the right type, there's lots of different ones, all around £10-15.

They cut all frequencies equally, and do make things clearer, including hearing what people are saying in clubs. No more ringing ears or distortion.

*edit* Fixed the link -sdm :o)

Hmmmmm...
FUCK EAR PLUGS MATE!! :finger2:
hehehehe
But seriously, DJing is fuckin terrible when u've got dat ringin goin on!! (Especially after VALVE!) :slayer:

Peace

yeah its kinda gay wearing ear plugs but its gotta be done!
the nights i DJ at are full of rudeboys so i wonder what they will all think lol!
i picked up some reusable 1s from Boots for a fiver which reduce sound by 20 dB which seem pretty good so far (only used em in the bedroom tho).

After 9 years of clubbing i've finally decided it's time to use ear plugs to prevent any further damage to my ears. I've found a few places that offer custom molulded ear plugs specifically for clubbing/djing which I'm going to invest in regardless of cost. You only get one set of ears after all and I don't think I could survive without music.

I will be getting some as soon as possible and will post my thoughts after some use.

http://www.customearprotection.co.uk/home.htm
http://www.pep-earplugs.co.uk/

jay walker said:
A matey from Custom Ear Protection came an took a moulding at work today - didnt take anymore than 10 minutes to do.

Will have my set of plugs by monday/tuesday at the latest, an it was only £65 squidles, all inc. ;)
Nice one Jay, I was waiting to see what happened there, big up. Will be calling em soonish then (y)

I bought some of the ER-20 from Richer Sounds, they are good for just going out but I think they are uncomfortable for DJ'in, They stick out to far and the headphones force em down your lug holes and its not very nice. Think i'll be getting some of the 65 quid custom moulded jobbies....

Patchie-C said:
I bought some of the ER-20 from Richer Sounds, they are good for just going out but I think they are uncomfortable for DJ'in, They stick out to far and the headphones force em down your lug holes and its not very nice. Think i'll be getting some of the 65 quid custom moulded jobbies....

See if you can find some foam in-ear jobs which aren't connected via a piece of plastic wire - I have some, and while there's always the case that if you lose one out of your ear you might never find it again, cause there's nothing protruding from your ear you can easily wear headphones over the top of them.

They're also quite comfy once you squeeze them with your fingers and press them into your ears - but I regularly use those Sony Fontopia in-ear headphones which stick right into your ears for better bass, so it doesn't bother me having stuff in my ears. It might be a bit of a new sensation to those who don't normally stuff things in the direction of their inner ears... But it's totally worth it.

End of the day, if you want to remind yourself just how much damage you're protecting your ears from, you can always take one of them out temporarily. I'm so glad I pinched my earplugs from the local community centre where me and my band used to practice.

Back
Top Bottom