your views on going back to back?

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
just wondering how many people would rather say have a 30 min set to themselves than do an hour b2b with someone say 3 tunes each whatever.

Obviously it depends on who you're going back to back with, I think it has its pros and cons, sometimes u cant get into the mix othertimes u bounce of each other and it helps...

Yeah I like it. Having another bag of vinyl with different tunes in it always keeps it fresh and it tends to make me think of new ideas for mixes as well.

i prefer 2 people, 4 decks. but you gotta know who your playing with, otherwise shit tends to get messy. means either one of you can step away and have a chill or whatever at any point as well.

i like b2b, get ya tunes out prepare ya mixes, chill with it, on ya own is boss too, but i like to kick back and take in the vibes too

this... plus if i drop one of my dubs as the last one in my 3 or whatver, i can hoon to the dancefloor and skank out to it ;)

plus piss break benefits ;)

Don't mind it really, you have to really pay attention to the mixer though once you get back to your thing, the person before you most likely does not DJ the same as you. Also, cue levels will be different...watch out for those ear drums.

My buddy and i have been going back to back for years now. He and I have very different styles, but I do believe we compliment each other quite well. Min. 3 tunes each though so you can get out of their style back into yours and set them up well for their next set of tunes.

played quite a few B2B sets but...

if your style doesnt compliment the other you really have to be on the ball.
Its does have its benefits, when I really wanted to try and get a load of sets all we could get is B2B so it mean't we got out more and got noticed.

All part and parcel of mixing.

were doing it all the time regarding our production team consist of 2 people aswell its kinda necessary. lovin it aswell! preparing the sets beforehand tho, otherwise youll get problems on maintaining the vibes and not getting any key-clashes etc.

lovin the sneakiness thats possible when mixing together. one doing a doubledrop and the other one is already cueing the next one is good fun. endless possibilities there. would love to get a sampler and keyboard involved at some time soon aswell, so we can perform our own tunes 'live' - couldnt be doing that if it was one person..

so i think if you get the right guy/girl to play b2b with it only has benefits imo.

b2b is fun, but not for 30mins, gotta b an hr set, tbh i prefer to play by myself tho, i like the push the progression on my own, but that said, its good to hear new stuff, does help spark sum interesting ideas, still tho, 30mins, duno seems to short for a good b2b session

I think he means share an hour between you like that or go b2b for the whole thing.

I like it as long as it's with the right person, but at the same time I like having the half hour too and getting each tune mixing sweetly with the next.

Not a huge fan tbh, i'd rather have half an hour to myself. Can be quite annoying if you're trying to build up a vibe then your partner comes on and drops some shit tune and you gotta start all over again.

if your with a mate who you know well, and you do a similar thing its good. otherwise its a mixed bag, sometimes you might try to do your own separate things which will not work

doin my first b2b set with dark entity soon, cannot wait. but as said b4, it all depends on who ur going b2b with. if the styles dont match then you'll jus clang clang clang...

i love to b2b with my friends, sometimes really good shit happens, tune wise that is

Ive only done a b2b when playing out once.
It was alright but the set up was really awkward as the decks were in battle mode and the shelf which had the CDJ's on was directly above the pitch!
This meant that we had to be really careful when adjusting the pitch overwise we would knock the tonearm.

I do like doing b2b's though as it gives you time to look through your tunes and read the situation. It also give you time to drink moar alcohol ;)

I did it at a little bar/club with my mate and it went balls up, mostly because i cant use Serato & thats what we were playing with. And also because most of my stuff is quite dark and/or minimal and he was playing a more upbeat, happy sound. Its a good job the place was pretty much empty if im honest...

yeah iv had it a cpl of times where the person iv played with has just reached the complete opposite end of the spectrum, definately didnt work.

down our way tho, theres not enough 'heads' for the more minimal side of it when I go to play out i'm not going to be dropping jubei etc, reach for the more dancefloor friendly stuff!

Back
Top Bottom