Serato?

Freek

Lets get freeeeeeky
VIP Junglist
Right, so im considering making the move to serato. Didnt have much luck with the cdjs so im thinking cut my losses sell the cdjs and buy serato n use ma technics.

a few questions for current serato users....

Back 2/3 years ago, ppl used to get pissed off with a dj who turned up n started fiddling with the wires and setting up serato, is this still the same or is it just normal now for there to be a serato setup on a night?

Do i need to have an amazing spec laptop to use serato or will a bog standard laptop be ok?

Is this a good idea, ie anyone else made the switch and think it was a bad move?

Cheers for ur help guys :) .

p.s. anyone interested in buying a full cd setup (CDJ400, CDJ800 & DJM600) please get intouch.

I think setting the thing up is still an issue man but not sure if its got better as if never played out with it.

With regards to the laptop, I use my Mrs's at the moment because I I've only got a desktop and to be honest its a fucking shit piece but serato works fine. I mean it is smoother on a mac but as far as I'm concerned its not that much of a big deal.

I made the switch and have never looked back mate, undoubtably the best decision I ever made, in life not just djing.

I think setting the thing up is still an issue man but not sure if its got better as if never played out with it.

With regards to the laptop, I use my Mrs's at the moment because I I've only got a desktop and to be honest its a fucking shit piece but serato works fine. I mean it is smoother on a mac but as far as I'm concerned its not that much of a big deal.

I made the switch and have never looked back mate, undoubtably the best decision I ever made, in life not just djing.

Cheers man wicked response

Its amazing.... Serato is like pringles once u pop you cant stop..... it is a pain setting up if the setup your playing on is poor, but 9 times out of 10 you can manage it. Buy the latest version and you will be fine, less wires to set up :)

Its amazing.... Serato is like pringles once u pop you cant stop..... it is a pain setting up if the setup your playing on is poor, but 9 times out of 10 you can manage it. Buy the latest version and you will be fine, less wires to set up :)

Cheers man,

Im thinking of getting an SL2 as its a bit cheaper than the newest

Get SL3 and it will change your life, if your efficient in your setup ie. not a tool, then you wont bother the other DJ.

You wont need a mac, but performance was certainly improved when i switched...defo would recommend.

The ability to mix on one deck and switch the channel has saved a potential embarrassing situation where a deck went down and the sound guy had to replace. Ignore any comments about sound quality too, they are minimal to the point of no noticeable change in clubs if your using good quality digi's

Have a look into traktor too, its on par with serato but its also got full midi mapping functionality and some excellent controllers to augment your turntablist rig (and its cheaper ;))
Check out the kontrol X1 and the dicers.

The one thing that you'll get fucked off with is using the laptop to change tunes, these circumvent that and offer much more flexibility.

As far as setting up at gigs goes, if you get there early you can hook it all up with NI's multicore cables so you just need to flick the mixer channel over to line when you wanna use timecode, simples.
Not sure how that would work if someone turned up with serato aswell though. Could get messy.

If youve got any questions regarding digi DJing, especially traktor related, gimme a shout. I'd be happy to help.

i dont understand why clubs dont invest in a serato box so that situations like a dj taking time to sort out all the cables and what not could be completly eliminated leaving serato as thsi mazing dj tool not somthing thats frowned upon because it takes 5 mins to sort out the wires

Seratos a pain for people playing out... end of Dbridge set showed this on friday at ram... not that i was that bothered because chase and status was on next but it took a while for them to get everything back to normal

Seratos a pain for people playing out... end of Dbridge set showed this on friday at ram... not that i was that bothered because chase and status was on next but it took a while for them to get everything back to normal

I hate playing after Serato users. All that faffing about with wires and shit

Long ting

I think it's equally annoying for the serato user and the djs before and after. No one wants to cause any other dj an issue its just that most clubs don't cater for serato. I think they will do in the future though as more and more big name djs are begining to use it. SL4 looks pretty fresh, two usb ports, 4 deck mixing, 96 kHZ sample rate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xj51ZgloBw&feature=related

Back
Top Bottom