Simple EQ for Ableton/Logic

ChekOneTwo

I'm looking for a Simple EQ that I will use mainly in Ableton. I'm about to lay down my first Ableton Mix to perfect it as I've been DJing for a bit now and wondered if there are any good simple EQ plugins that would recreate that of a simple Mixer? Simply just for the ease of automation and to recreate that live DJ set sound?

OR

Would you guys have any tips for automating a full EQ when producing a Mix?

I've started production in Logic now so it would be handy to have an AU version of it but really not vital tbh as I like to use a full EQ to perfect my tweaks....

...that is all

EQ3, standard Ableton EQ will do everything a standard mixer will do (gain/kill/etc), EQ8 for more complex EQ

To automate, click on the control you want to automate, for eg Bass Gain, and the Automation channel will switch to that control on the sequence view, then u can either double click on the Red line that appears, to add a point and drag it about, or use the Draw function (not much control there tho)

BUT...this is not the best way to go about DJing in Ableton (infact its not djing at all if you just lay your tracks out in the sequencer), use the Clip View, warp your tracks, hook up a midi controller and do it properly :P check out TomCosm's tutorials on youtube for more info

Last edited:
Thanks guys I'll chek them out. I've been looking for a way to lay down a decent mix and be able to tweak and mix post recording to really perfect the hour or so of music. I have borrowed a VCI-300 from a friend but apart from recording in Itch I'm a bit stumped, that obviously doesn't give me the ability to post edit.

miszt what method were you suggesting with a controller???

Thanks guys I'll chek them out. I've been looking for a way to lay down a decent mix and be able to tweak and mix post recording to really perfect the hour or so of music. I have borrowed a VCI-300 from a friend but apart from recording in Itch I'm a bit stumped, that obviously doesn't give me the ability to post edit.

miszt what method were you suggesting with a controller???

using Clip view, load up your tracks, load up a drum loop and get them all warped correctly, then trigger them on the fly, using midicontroller to change FX and crossfade, can get very creative, no need to just focus just on EQ, any of the FX in your pallet can be used to crossfade in crazy ways (Beat Repeat for eg...u'll have to figure out how urself tho;), its easier if you have a button type controler like an APC, but its not essential, trigger tracks with your mouse and use a controller with faders/pots/wotever to control fx cross fading. so much fun, beats the pants off traktor, also of course to do it properly you will need an audio card that gives you a Cue output, anyways check out tom cosms ableton dj tut

Oh My Gee, I Fackin love Ableton, started working with it last night its fantastic. Really nice to produce a mix, so easy to automate and tweak! If any one hasn't used it before I would deff recommend.

Would anyone know of a good Multimeter with a visual representation just so I can perfect the levels of all my blends on the tracks?! They sound pretty nice in the ears, but I like to be penickety... Something like the Multimeter in Logic but for Ableton?

Also and this maybe directed more towards miszt, is there a way of having a visual rep of EQ on the EQ8 for example? Again in logic you can switch on a visual rep of the EQ and see where something is peaking, dipping etc?

Thanks guys....

Oh My Gee, I Fackin love Ableton, started working with it last night its fantastic. Really nice to produce a mix, so easy to automate and tweak! If any one hasn't used it before I would deff recommend.

Would anyone know of a good Multimeter with a visual representation just so I can perfect the levels of all my blends on the tracks?! They sound pretty nice in the ears, but I like to be penickety... Something like the Multimeter in Logic but for Ableton?

Also and this maybe directed more towards miszt, is there a way of having a visual rep of EQ on the EQ8 for example? Again in logic you can switch on a visual rep of the EQ and see where something is peaking, dipping etc?

Thanks guys....

there is a good Spectral Analyzer in your ableton audio plugins, but no eq overlay unfortunetly, that would be awsome! the only option i know of is GlissEQ, but that is parametric, probly not what you want

make sure you set your time-strech algorthms correctly, Complex-Pro is the best, but might strain your computer a bit on the fly, use Complex while you are editing, then Complex Pro to render, most likley ableton has automaticly set it to Beat, which ok, but can be jittry and crunchy

Can you not just have an instance of Spectrum, and EQ8 open next to each other in the chain?

Thats what I do, that way you can see where things are peaking in the frequency spectrum, and adjust accordingly on the EQ8.

I've not heard of one but chances are if there is one, it won't be fantastic, so if ableton's is a good one. you can, as people have said, just set your own up using the low cut, high cut and a mid cut with a large Q and automating the on/off button.

miszt: studio one's standard EQ has one, and yup, it's fucking great :)

eq-tutorial01.jpg

fair enuf, although i use Gliss anyways

hearing good reports about Studio1, not ready to switch yet tho, abletons still got to many secrets to give up

I'm looking for a Simple EQ that I will use mainly in Ableton. I'm about to lay down my first Ableton Mix to perfect it as I've been DJing for a bit now and wondered if there are any good simple EQ plugins that would recreate that of a simple Mixer? Simply just for the ease of automation and to recreate that live DJ set sound?

OR

Would you guys have any tips for automating a full EQ when producing a Mix?

I've started production in Logic now so it would be handy to have an AU version of it but really not vital tbh as I like to use a full EQ to perfect my tweaks....

...that is all

EQ 8 mate... as good as any 3rd party plugin!

make sure you set your time-strech algorthms correctly, Complex-Pro is the best, but might strain your computer a bit on the fly, use Complex while you are editing, then Complex Pro to render, most likley ableton has automaticly set it to Beat, which ok, but can be jittry and crunchy

I did notice this issue I ended up changing it back to Beat and setting the bar markers myself. I have noticed a little bit of jittering when changing the speed of tracks more than 5 or so BPM but nothing that is particularly noticeable. When using the Complex option it adds a large number of the "Yellow Triangle Markers" so when I move them about to line up with the beats I'll have like 4 bars correct then the next 4 bars too quick and it just seemed to mess it up. What I chose to do was simply set a Beat marker at the start of the track, right clicked and selected something like "Start here at 140bpm" or something like that. Seemed to work ok but like you said some tracks are now a bit "Patchy" is how I'd describe it?! IS there a better method? Remember this is my first session on Ableton so I'm a Hella noob.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Scrap that question, I'm going to be doing some re-editing tonight now I've read the following:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec06/articles/livetech_1206.htm

Ahhh the powers of the internet and a 30sec google search :)

I did notice this issue I ended up changing it back to Beat and setting the bar markers myself. I have noticed a little bit of jittering when changing the speed of tracks more than 5 or so BPM but nothing that is particularly noticeable. When using the Complex option it adds a large number of the "Yellow Triangle Markers" so when I move them about to line up with the beats I'll have like 4 bars correct then the next 4 bars too quick and it just seemed to mess it up. What I chose to do was simply set a Beat marker at the start of the track, right clicked and selected something like "Start here at 140bpm" or something like that. Seemed to work ok but like you said some tracks are now a bit "Patchy" is how I'd describe it?! IS there a better method? Remember this is my first session on Ableton so I'm a Hella noob.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Scrap that question, I'm going to be doing some re-editing tonight now I've read the following:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec06/articles/livetech_1206.htm

Ahhh the powers of the internet and a 30sec google search :)

yeah forget autowarp, (mite be repeating the artical, but it looks very long for such a simple process...) if you are using dance tracks it doesnt matter, they rarly change tempo, set to complex, then add a warp marker right at the start of the track, right click it and choose 'warp from here straight', then set the bpm manually, everything should work fine then, if you'r not sure about the BPM, load up a break loop to use as a refrence

Back
Top Bottom