Very WIP: Solid - Maybe DnB

ApeCat

Human Dubplate
VIP Junglist
So I just reintalled Luity Froops yesterday, I messed around a bit and these are now the meager first steps of my second attempted DnB (or any other kind, really) track ever.

Anyways, since I don't really have a real vision for where this thing is supposed to be going, I was hoping for some thoughts and feedback.

Things I might need a little hand in include; constructing a nice, effective drop or two. I think I'm rushing into the new parts a little as the track stands now.

That "boink boink boink" noise needs something done to it, but I think I can sort that one out myself!

The wobbly bassline is just something I threw together and will definitely change to something more groovy. I'm pretty confident I can do groovy!

Oh, I've been having trouble with drum fills if someone would care to give me a shove in the right direction.

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Oh, and if someone recognizes some noises or whatever from their projects, I downloaded some track stems somewhere on the boards, but all my samples are now just bundled together in one big messy folder. Give me a shout and I'll pay proper tribute.

And yeah, that bassline is stolen off a Naibu track or something... Total coincidence...

I don't really like the bass synth used on the drop from :58-1:21. It sounds kind of cheesy and boring. The actually bassline is cool though, put some more work into the synth and that would reallllly improve the track. I would also say make those little interlude things like from 1:22-2:04 more.. interesting? or varied? I don't know, they get kind of boring. Maybe just adding some weird sound fx would make it better. I also felt that the drums were pretty weak. The kick is barely audible and the snare could use a bit of a volume increase. IMO focus on the bass synth and the drums, it would make the track WAY better. The intro is really nice though, good job with that.

Track is sounding very unprocessed, and ur drums are barely present. ur synths are sounding very plain and lifeless.
Just being honest

No worries. This is just something I threw together quickly after reinstalling Luity, but seeing as it's my second take on a DnB[ish] track, I thought I'd throw it up to see if I could get any pointers.
The drums aren't present because they're not present. It's just Hotpants running over and over endlessly now, I need to layer some kicks and snares on top, I'm going to add more percussive elemnets [your old tambourines and maybe a ride and some stuff...] to mix shit up, resample the drum loop and chop it up to add some variation and lots of other Big Plans!

So yeah, any kicks in the ass are welcome as long as they're pointing in the right direction.

agree with fishy, although musically its quite kool, interesting stuff going on, bass is taking up to much space tho, drums need to come right up in the mix, EQ the bass some more, check around 100-120hz and 200-280hz and notch out the rezz spikes, theres sum rezz you can take out there that will allow you to fit more sound in. keep at it!

This is so much more productive than my mates going "Yeh, sounds cool init..."!!

I'm going to go ahead and assume rezz spikes are where the bass kicks in on the midrange and messes shit up and drowns all other sound?

Do I need to seperate the sub to 20-40Hz, leave 40-100Hz for the kick and then slap the bass-bass on top at 100Hz?
That's what I've been trying to do earlier, but I guess I forgot now. Going through my notes there's tons of shit I've just forgotten about!

This is so much more productive than my mates going "Yeh, sounds cool init..."!!

I'm going to go ahead and assume rezz spikes are where the bass kicks in on the midrange and messes shit up and drowns all other sound?

Do I need to seperate the sub to 20-40Hz, leave 40-100Hz for the kick and then slap the bass-bass on top at 100Hz?
That's what I've been trying to do earlier, but I guess I forgot now. Going through my notes there's tons of shit I've just forgotten about!

Usually I hi-pass everything around 40hz, subbass range is usually 50-80hz, kicks sumtimes hi-passed at 80hz, depending on the sound, very over simplified way of looking at it tho! dont get to stuck thinking about specific numbers

the rez spikes are in the ranges i said before, yep crossing over with the kick a bit, and also the snare (200ish), also 220-280hz can be quite 'honky', and will drag back compression and punch a fair bit if its not well controlled

Last edited:
Dude, there aren't any kicks or snares on this track [outside of the Hotpants sample].
I thought "hi-pass" meant letting through only the high end of the frequency range?

Dude, there aren't any kicks or snares on this track [outside of the Hotpants sample].
I thought "hi-pass" meant letting through only the high end of the frequency range?

you mean individual channels with kick and snare? well if it is a loop, fiddle with the compression and maybe switch time-strech mode to bring it to life a bit

hi-pass means allow freqz higher than nHz to 'pass' thru the filter, ie filter out everything under nHz

Back
Top Bottom