Production headphones - any recommendations up to £150 max?

sennheiser hd-25s mark 2...cost about 100/110 n theyre amazing all round production/listening/djing phones.

AKG 271 are a lot of producers headphones of choice, even the BBC use them! Beyer Dynamic are also very good. AKG or Beyer all the way in the studio mate.

Last edited:
Definitely beyers. Not sure why people recommend hd25's, they're super-aural and not over-ear design, so not ideal. Good for djing, uncomfortable for production. They're not very flat either.

Definitely beyers. Not sure why people recommend hd25's, they're super-aural and not over-ear design, so not ideal. Good for djing, uncomfortable for production. They're not very flat either.

which ones would you recommend? 770s or 990s, if theres even a major difference?

yeah ive been recommended those Beyerdynamic dt990s elsewhere too

looks like ill go for those

cheers

The 990's are actually open headphones, not closed. The 770's are closed which would probably be more suited to production. Personally I would go the 880's, I've tried them and they're very balanced (the others seem to be quite bassy).

I use DT-250's (250ohm version) for referencing, very well balanced and very comfortable for long periods.

Don't forget to take into account the higher the ohm, the more power you'll need to drive them. Generally higher ohm headphones that require an amp or hot output on your soundcard will sound better than the lower ohm versions.

i have the beyer dt 250s, never got into to them though. dont think its anything to do with the quality of the product, just dont really like writing tunes on headphones. i'll sell them to you at a reduced price if you like, they are in mint condition; literally used a handful of times

I previously used Senn' HD25 SPII's which were flat ish (bit of a dip in the mids) but they fell to bits :(
I sent them back under warranty and bought...

beyer DT770PROs.. very bassy but super comfortable.
I found if I mix to my monitors (yamaha HS80s) and make something that bangs on those, in the 770's the bass would be massively OTT :(
If I made the mix so that it sounded correct in the 770's it would be bass light on the Yams...
So I sold them.

Now looking at Senn HD600's (Subvert masterings's Macc is a big fan with a headphone amp!) or Senn 595's.
When going for the 600's I'm looking on ebay for used as they should be £200+ new! £ouch.

AIAIAI TMA1's get a great write up of late and should also fit the bill for producing AND DJing :)

Juse do ya research, ask people who own the cans you think might be right and then take the plunge.
Good luck!

they wont give you and honest response, but if you are gonna start DJing and taking them places you want sum durable noise cancelling ones for dat then get HD 25s sennheiser,, but for production these will not honestly give you a flat response and monitors are the only way to go. i use alesis m1 mk2 and Hd25s and that does the trick bt i rely on my monitors for production NOt headphones!!!

-lucid

Agree with you there, monitors will give you a far better stereo image but don't forget take into account room treatment.

Hd25's aren't noise canceling btw :)

Does anyone have any experience with the new KRK KNS 8400 headphones? I'm thinking of buying those. Good reviews and their promotion movie sounds promising. Anyone?

Actually i think im gonna get those Audio Technica m-50's now, they got great reviews on amazon plus their closed backed and a bit cheaper than the Beyers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom